Thread: Want to "Save As..." in the location where I opened the image file

Moderator Enterprise User Bhikkhu Pesala's Avatar
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Synetech View Post
    The problem is that Ctrl+S is buggy. Pressing Ctrl+S does not always open the Save As dialog in the original folder as expected, often it opens it in another folder.
    I have never come across this alleged bug, and there are no replies to that thread, so perhaps you're the first to notice it. As always, if a bug cannot be reproduced it's not possible to fix it.

OS
    32-bit Linux Distribution
    CPU Cores

I've not had any difficulties regarding to the save function within IV, with daily use of the program, one get used to common hotkeys.

For those of you that think this is a big issue - go check out Autohotkey, that is a tool that can divert hotkeys among other useful things.
    Last edited by Sprintdriver; 11.10.2016 at 11:49 PM. Reason: check is so difficult word to spell. . .
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

You can change this behavior with the .ini file.
    (on my Windows10 computer it's: C:\Users\'MyUserName'\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\i_ view64.ini)
    In the i_view64.ini file, under [Save], use this setting: SaveDir=OpenDir
    Then set the .ini file to 'Read Only' in the file attributes so that Irfan View can't change it again after it opens another photo or whatever.

I also deleted any "SaveDirXX" and "FileX" fields completely.
    And removed any text that contained my file or directory history.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that this drove nuts.
    It's the whole reason I'm here on the forums in the first place; it's that annoying to me.
    I never tried simply 'Save' because I was assuming that would overwrite the original image, as would be the case in EVERY other software I use.

I hope this info helps future fellow crazies like me.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

I too usually want to save another version of an image right next to the original, and possibly compare them later, or go back a revision, and almost never save into the last used directory (usually containing entirely unrelated pictures), which is the default.

The quickest way to navigate to the original directory is in the Save As dialog under Recent folders. There is an entry beginning with five asterisks *****. I think this should be the default choice, and other recent entries would still allow to go back to last used directories.

I prefer Save to not display a dialog, like it is in any other program, and sometimes I just want to save a change that I am confident with. "Ask to overwrite" I keep enabled for safety.

Never mind about my work around modifying the SaveDir in the .ini file;
    It doesn't appear to be working anymore.
    I could swear that it was working.
    But today it's still retrieving the last Save Directory, and I can't find from where; it's NOT getting it from the .ini file anymore.
    I've even searched the registry; nothing matches the directory folder that IrfanView is using.
    I don't know where it's being stored and retrieved from.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win Server 2003 SP1
    CPU Cores

The workaround doesn't seem practical to me because I can't save any other setting to a read-only file. Substitutes one problem with a bigger one.

I need to remember to click on the ***** list item, before I have browsed half the computer, as I used to before I discovered this "recent" folders feature.

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by j7n View Post
    [..]i need to remember to click on the ***** list item, before i have browsed half the computer, as i used to before i discovered this "recent" folders feature.
    thank you! :d

Thread Information