No announcement yet.

Want to "Save As..." in the location where I opened the image file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Want to "Save As..." in the location where I opened the image file

The one big annoyance about Irfanview is when I open an image file, I make an alteration and I want to save it along side of the original file, so I "Save As..." and then later realize it didn't go back into the directory that I got it from, and I by then I don't know where the hell it is.

I would like it to "Save as..." to the directory where I opened from, or to give me an option to set it to do that. That seems like what someone would naturally expect the program to do.

This Feature Request is unlikely to be implemented. IrfanView is an image viewer, and works this way for a good reason — to make it harder for noobies to overwrite existing image by clicking the default toolbar button.

If you want to save the file in the same directory from which you opened it, then use Save, not Save as.

If you want to change the file format, select the target format from the list.

If you don't want to overwrite the original file, give it a new name.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I agree with wmadavis. IrfanView's Save functions operate contrary to every program I've ever interacted with. If the desire is to protect newbies then add an option (which is enabled by default) to prompt for confirmation for all save actions. Ignoring the normal workflow of the masses is irritating for the other 80% of your users. Additionally, all the newbies I know still know how to manage with the save functions in every other program... this is just creating a headache for the sake of creating a headache IMO.

The fact that "Save" acts the same way as "Save as" is equally irritating, but one battle at a time. The amount of additional time to just pound through a folder, rotate the images that need it and save them is crazy... It's very sad that it takes half the time to actually do it in Windows Explorer.

Comment

You obviously don't know how to use the program if you're wasting time navigating folders. Just use Ctrl S to save. If you learn how to use the program there is no battle to be fought. There are many different ways to work depending on your objectives. Instead of asking for features that are not wanted and options like autobackup on save to avoid problems for noobies, learn to use the program as it was designed to work.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by CRE View Post
          If the desire is to protect newbies then add an option (which is enabled by default) to prompt for confirmation for all save actions.
          There already is such an option, under the File Handling tab of the Options labelled Display 'Save' dialog for 'File->Save' menu.
          I am far from being a newbie but I still have that option checked so that I can use Save to put the image back into the same folder that it came from after editing. To save with the original file name takes only one extra mouse stroke but I can also easily change the name slightly when I want to save the edited image but still keep the original.
          Save lets you take images from a variety of locations and put each of them back into their original folder, where they came from.
          Save As lets you take images from a variety of locations but assemble them all into just one folder after editing.
          Both have their uses. That may not be the same as other programs. Personally I think it's better than most.
          Last edited by Mij; 04.06.2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Agree with Mij 100% (and not a noob either )

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I'm not a newbie by a long shot. Been using the app for many years... It's just an annoyance and I was just expressing my agreement with the OP that the setup is counter-intuitive and contrary to what I learned when studying interface design in college (granted that was a very long time ago). I got over it years ago, I just agree that it's awkward and feel it wastes time.

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
              Instead of asking for features that are not wanted
              Well, without asking how is anyone to know what's wanted? :P
              Last edited by CRE; 06.06.2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Sorry, but the responses above were enough for me to finally create a login to comment here. I'm sorry, but I love irfanview, it's one of the first things I install on a new PC and one of the first I recommend to all my friends. But this "save as" feature just drives me nuts. It's just too late to change people's expectation of how things like this should work. Sure, you could get the world to change to your way of thinking - maybe. But why not just make it an option to do what "many" people think is "normal". I also use a variety of other windows programs, including photoshop for images, and I just get mad whenever I'm changing a file and want to use "save as" and I need to navigate back to the original home.

You may recall that old versions of Winzip (I think) used to have a type of behavior like this - I just want to uncompress files where I'm at in the directory, not to somewhere else. I might be changing the format of an image or saving a cropped or modified version, and I just want to have it go where I started at, without thinking. Many times I've had to check the "recent files" or do a windows search to find where I just saved a file without giving a thought to where it would go at the time. I think that's the frustration others have had above. Getting rid of that frustration (as an option) would eliminate the one thing that would keep many people from continuing to use this great tool! Sorry - I just don't have enough neurons to remember the quirks of every tool I use.

Comment

It does seem that there are a number of people who do support this request and have to admit that what you describe as "normal" is indeed how the majority of other applications work. I do not want to see yet another option though. Irfanview has too many already IMHO, making it very difficult for new users to figure out what they must set for what they want to do.

Personally I might give support to a compromise where the existing option in the File Handling tab was changed to "Save As in last used folder and Display dialog for Save".

With the option checked the present functionality of Save As, which I find so useful, would be preserved.
                  With the option unchecked Save As would open the dialog in the current folder, and Save would save directly in that same folder with the current name but without displaying a dialog. That, I assume, would satisfy you as being "normal" operation.

What would be lost of course is the option never to display a dialog for Save. No loss for me because I always leave the existing option checked. I often create edited versions of an image that I want to keep in the original folder but need to rename so that the original image is kept too. I am quite happy to just hit the Enter key to close the dialog when I do not want to keep the original. Irfan however may well think otherwise. He often argues to retain existing functionality that I think is redundant.

Comment

Save folder not

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                    You obviously don't know how to use the program if you're wasting time navigating folders.
                    The problem is that Ctrl+S is buggy. Pressing Ctrl+S does not always open the Save As dialog in the original folder as expected, often it opens it in another folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Synetech View Post
                      The problem is that Ctrl+S is buggy. Pressing Ctrl+S does not always open the Save As dialog in the original folder as expected, often it opens it in another folder.
                      I have never come across this alleged bug, and there are no replies to that thread, so perhaps you're the first to notice it. As always, if a bug cannot be reproduced it's not possible to fix it.

Comment

I've not had any difficulties regarding to the save function within IV, with daily use of the program, one get used to common hotkeys.

For those of you that think this is a big issue - go check out Autohotkey, that is a tool that can divert hotkeys among other useful things.
                        Last edited by Sprintdriver; 12.10.2016, 12:49 AM. Reason: check is so difficult word to spell. . .
                        If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

You can change this behavior with the .ini file.
                          (on my Windows10 computer it's: C:\Users\'MyUserName'\AppData\Roaming\IrfanView\i_ view64.ini)
                          In the i_view64.ini file, under [Save], use this setting: SaveDir=OpenDir
                          Then set the .ini file to 'Read Only' in the file attributes so that Irfan View can't change it again after it opens another photo or whatever.

I also deleted any "SaveDirXX" and "FileX" fields completely.
                          And removed any text that contained my file or directory history.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that this drove nuts.
                          It's the whole reason I'm here on the forums in the first place; it's that annoying to me.
                          I never tried simply 'Save' because I was assuming that would overwrite the original image, as would be the case in EVERY other software I use.

I hope this info helps future fellow crazies like me.

Comment

I too usually want to save another version of an image right next to the original, and possibly compare them later, or go back a revision, and almost never save into the last used directory (usually containing entirely unrelated pictures), which is the default.

The quickest way to navigate to the original directory is in the Save As dialog under Recent folders. There is an entry beginning with five asterisks *****. I think this should be the default choice, and other recent entries would still allow to go back to last used directories.

I prefer Save to not display a dialog, like it is in any other program, and sometimes I just want to save a change that I am confident with. "Ask to overwrite" I keep enabled for safety.

Comment

Never mind about my work around modifying the SaveDir in the .ini file;
                              It doesn't appear to be working anymore.
                              I could swear that it was working.
                              But today it's still retrieving the last Save Directory, and I can't find from where; it's NOT getting it from the .ini file anymore.
                              I've even searched the registry; nothing matches the directory folder that IrfanView is using.
                              I don't know where it's being stored and retrieved from.

Comment

Working...
                              X