Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Thumbnails: lossless rotation without complete refresh

Hello,

when I rotate a picture lossless in Thumbnails, after the rotation all the pictures in my Thumbnail-Window are reloaded again.
    This is very annoying and I think twice or more, if I really need to rotate the images.
    Especially when I have many pictures in my Thumbnails-Window and the connection to the directory is maybe in the network.
    After the rotation of even only one image, I have to wait half a minute till all pictures are back visible again.

Excpected behaviour: only the rotated picture should be refreshed.

Maybe there is an option somewhere to omit this annoying refresh, but I didnt find it.

Thankyou,

franc

No option that I know of. A reasonable request to put forward though. It does not appear to be necessary to completely reload all the Thumbnails after one is deleted, moved or renamed so I cannot see why it should be necessary to do a complete reload after one is rotated.

I think you must have a very large number of images in your folder however to have to wait so long. The first time I open a folder of Thumbnails it does take some time to display them all but a reload of the same folder is very quick on my computer (Win7) since they are all still in memory. You do not have to wait for all Thumbnails to reload either. As soon as the ones you want are displayed you can press Stop on the menu and start working with them. Not much help if they are near the end I know but, if so, you can select to sort in Descending rather than Ascending order.

Comment

No, not much help, indeed.
      The thing is, mostly I have the pictures on a network-share. This is much slower.
      And the other thing is, that Irfan starts with the reload again with the first picture, even when I am at the end.

A normal amount of pictures in a folder could be 500.
      I use Irfan-Thumbnail to have an overview over all pictures, but in this case, the simple Windows Explorer is much better.
      Poor Irfan

Comment

It occurs to me that you might find it useful to remove blocks of thumbnails that you do not intend to process and just leave areas where the ones you do want to process are located. You can highlight individual thumbnails or whole blocks using most of the usual shortcuts such as Shift+click and Ctrl+click. Control+A (highlight all) and Ctrl+Shift+End (highlight to end) or Ctrl+Shift+Home (highlight to start) are handy timesavers too for large blocks.
        You remove the highlighted thumbnails using View > Remove selected thumbs from list or pressing Ctrl+Delete. You can then do your lossless operations on the thumbnails that remain and only those will be reloaded each time.
        Pressing F5 or reselecting the folder will restore the full list when you are finished. Note that you have only removed the images from the display. The files still remain in the folder.

Comment

Thank you for this hint.
          But in most cases I still want to see all the other pictures in the list and I think this is the most common use case.

But as the development for Irfan-Thumbnails has obviously stopped at the moment*, I have to live with this drawback as I don't know any better Thumbnail-Program where I can do so many things as in Irfan-Thumbnails.

Greetings, franc

*= I think this is clear at least, when you use the function "Save Thumbnails as HTML" and have a look at the generated html-code / template. This is weirdly old stuff and no Irfan-update fixes this since long.

Comment

I just noticed that in the actual version (Irfan 4.33) this bug is solved.
            When I resize one or more pictures in the Thumb Viewer a whole refresh is not anymore done.

Good work!

Comment

Working...
            X