Unicode characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unicode characters

I used to apply certain unicode characters on a HTML-page, because these sets not only contain characters, but also more pictogram-like shapes, which can be used as a 'graphic' element.
    Of course I can't expect, according to my language-settings, that the set with chinese or nepalese characters is correctly represented. Then a rectangle or question mark is shown.
    So I tested which ones would still work, like the mathematical set, and which don't. It resulted in this page :

Until I recently heard of differences in the representation by the browsers (I use FireFox).
    So I ask e.g. Exploder users to check this page to see if all is correctly shown.
    If not, report please, so I can adjust my use of these options, so the outcome is sure to be common.
    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 03.12.2007, 03:54 AM.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Seems to work fine in Opera, but Exploder sucks with the default settings. Perhaps there is a fix by changing some encoding option somewhere.

Edit: I don't know what the default webpage font is, but I had mine set to Verdana. When I changed it to Lucida Sans Unicode, a lot more of the characters displayed correctly. I guess it will look OK for people using MS Unicode or Code 2000.

Interesting that PNGOUT saves a lot of space on these files (< half the size).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 04.09.2008, 07:27 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Sam,
      I can see the characters in Opera 9, Netscape 8 and Firefox 1.5 from USB memory stick.
      I don't see them in IE 6 and NetCaptor 7. NetCaptor is only a shell (a nice one) of IE.
      I don't use IE 7.

Comment

Thanks for the reactions.
        Bhikkhu, you're right, I forgot about the aspect of the chosen font.
        I just checked in the HTML source, and I didn't declare any font. So I guess it's set by Firefox to Times New Roman.

This outcome with IE is dramatic. I withdraw my intention to adjust the range of options. I just don't care anymore.

Interesting remark about the use of PNGOUT. Didn't seriously used it so far.
        While I'm always seeking for the smallest filesize, if publishing on the web, with the least quality loss.
        But also with the least amount of non-relevant data, so with screenshots like this, I start with reducing the number of colors.
        As low as possible, without loosing things. PNG is a nice format to handle this.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

K-Meleon, with font prefs set for sans-serif - Tahoma
          Quite some page
          Last edited by matera; 25.10.2008, 03:36 AM.
          Its: Belongs to "It"
          It's: Shortened form of "It is"
          ---------------------
          Lose: Fail to keep
          Loose: Not tight

---------------------
          Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

An example how unpredictable it can get. This is part of the "Block Elements" section with Range: 2580?259F.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Update

I removed the html-file of the link above, to replace it for a zipped version including 7 pictures with blocks of the page.
              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Now I have the whole code, what can I do with it? How can I use these in my homepage? And why?

Comment

Opera 8 and Opera 9 displayed unicode_list.html with the columns very far apart. The more characters were missing in the given font, the more spread out columns were.

I declared to use Arial Unicode MS and only then the page loaded normally.

Code:
                  <style>
                  body {font-family: "Arial Unicode MS"}
                  </style>
                  Such a list could be useful for web designers running Win98 or similar simpler OS. Under NT we can just execute Charmap and get the whole table with number displayed in statusbar.

Comment

When starting this, I had no illusion at all about the aspects of compatibility of systems or settings qua reproduction.
                    I just wanted to make this list in a HTML format together with some representation of the code, as an example.

The HTML format offers the possibility to copy the proper code "&amp;#xnnnn;" to directly paste it in a new page.
                    So maybe it's more a kind of library, with possible examples of appearance.
                    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Yes, and thank you for your effort. Never know how handy such a library can be in future's need.

Comment

Working...
                      X