IrfanView V4.30 & (custom) multiple icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IrfanView V4.30 & (custom) multiple icons

Just upgraded from 4.28 to 4.30 - after confirmed all working pasted a custom icons.dll into the iv.plugin folder.
    Now when i select multiple icons then .png will show .pcx icon - my question next =
    Is in version 4.30 the code for multiple icons changed so that older custom icons.dll show incorrect icons?

(png is one of 4 extensions i default open with irfanview - bmp,ico,jpeg, show the correct icon using older custom icon.dll

Win7 _ x64 _ sp1
    Greetings - ^^

I noticed the same problem you have described. I upgraded from 4.28 to 4.30 and I replaced the ("[i]absolutely not awesome[\i]") default icons with my preferred old icons: Filz icons (2006). The problem is that now icons are not correctly associated with file types. E.g.: "png" file types has the incorrect icon "pcx" and so on. Is there a way to solve this problem.

P.S.: it would be really a great thing if IrfanView whether to adopt a similar (simple) system to TOOLBAR CUSTOMIZATION, also for ICON CUSTOMIZATION.

Comment

Well if its true that the old made custom icon.dll's are not accurate anymore then i will go for the temporarily fix.
      That is using freeware "defaultprogramseditor" - you can use it for among others changing icon for any extension.
      http://defaultprogramseditor.com/

For a phew icons i do not mind to change them manually this way, want some decent icons ^^
      No offense to irfanview.

Comment

Thank You Hænk for the suggestion about "defaultprogramseditor".
        I believe that I will wait a DEFINITIVE solution to this problem, from the author of IrfanView; which I want to sincerely thank for the excellent program that he has developed.

The only thing I (but I believe not only "I") miss is a more beautiful set of file-types icons...

Comment

Hi guys,

I got a very fast reply from Irfan regarding to this problem:

1. If you use your own customized (!!!) icons.dll the filetype order could have changed - so you have to change it on your own.

2. If you use the default icons.dll + made an update from 4.28 to 4.30 just do the following steps:

1. Start IrfanView (for Windows Vista AND Windows 7 please run IrfanView as administrator)
          2. Goto "Options", "Properties/Settings" and "Extension", then click on "Icons"

3. Make your options and click on "OK" twice", that means you have to open the Icon Dialog via "Icons" twiche + you have to click twice on "OK".

Now your settings should have been applied to the registry.

steve

Comment

I can understand that the roadkill cat has value as its an icon on itself.
            But with all the polished OS's we have these days it would be nice to have a secondary fitting icon for those.
            Maybe we get lucky and it will be implied some day, and yes i am thankful for irfanview as it is

Comment

Get Filz' custom icon.dll to work with IV 4.30

Hi,

I recently had the same problem using a customized icon.dll (also Filz' version) after updating to IV 4.30:
              .png files were showing the pcx icon, etc. But it can be solved relatively easy by altering Filz' icon.dll.

First I used Nirsofts tool ResourcesExtract to extract the .ico files of the original IV 4.30 icons.dll and the .ico files of Filz' modified icon.dll into different folders to compare their contents:

The IV 4.30 original icon.dll version contains 46 Icons. Filz' modified icon.dll version contains 49 Icons.
              The three additional Icons in Filz' Icon.dll are: .ldf, .lwf and .swf Icons.
              These are not present in the 4.30 original icon.dll.

I used Resource Hacker to take a look into both icon.dll files. Both icon groups were arranged in alphabetical order of their file type extensions.
              Up to the .kdc icon group both files had a similar order, propably that's why filetypes like .bmp, .ico or .jpg still are showing their correct icons when using Fliz' icon.dll.
              Since Filz' icon.dll contains additional icon groups for .ldf and .lwf files between the .kdc and .nlm icon groups, the order of the following icon groups is shifted by two places compared to the 4.30 original icon.dll.

It fits: .pcx and .png are Icon group number 22 in their respective icon.dll version (in total numbers - the actual numbering of the icon groups differs). .png is number 24 in Filz' icon.dll.

Ignoring the numbering I simply deleted the icon groups of .ldf, .lwf and .swf to bring the modified icon.dll into line with the original 4.30 icon.dll regarding total number and alphabetical order of the icon groups.
              I saved the icon.dll, put it into Irfanview\plugins\, resassociated the file types in IV and rebooted: now all file types are showing their correct icons again.

In short: to get Filz' icon.dll to work with IV 4.30 you have to

- open Filz' icon.dll with Resource Hacker (or any other tool capable of modifying und saving .dll files)
              - delete the icon groups of .ldf, .lwf, .swf
              - save the icon.dll and move it into the IrfanView\plugins folder (overwriting the original one)
              - resassociate the file types in IrfanView
              - reboot (if necessary)

You can probably apply this to other custom icon.dlls as well. I only tested it under XP SP3. I'm not sure about the licence, so I don't want to provide a download. But according to the Version Info of Filz' icon.dll it should be allowed to "to adapt the work" and to redistribute it (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike). Maybe the admin can post a comment on this.

Hope it helps!
              Last edited by acknot; 09.07.2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X