Thread: Whitesnake Translater now as an option during Irfanview download. NOT GOOD

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Default Whitesnake Translater now as an option during Irfanview download. NOT GOOD

I notice now when downloading the newest Irfanview, a box pops up offering to download the Whitesnake Translater software. There are tons of information out there on just how bad this software is regarding messing up systems and being very hard to get rid of once it's installed. There are website posts out there that just give instructions how to get rid of it. It involves rootkits and trojans. I don't know why Irfanview has decided to get involved with something like this. This is very bad to be associated with software like this which is going to affect Irfanview's reputation. I hope the makers of irfanview do some research on the Whitesnake Translater software and get rid of all links to it.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Where did you download IrfanView from?

IV Newbie
    Version
    IrfanView 4.30
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Right from the Irfanview website. Only does it when clicking on the plugins. Another page pops up. When clicking on Download there, that's when another box will pop up asking if you want to download the Whitesnake software.

Version
    IrfanView 4.44
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

It is the Software.com download website that gives you the additional item. You can still go to the Plugins page by clicking on Plugins on the left side of the main Irfanview site page and choosing the alternative download site.

Version
    IrfanView 4.42
    OS
    64-bit Win 7 Ultimate/Enterprise SP1
    CPU Cores

However, the software-com page is well known as a bad source, so currently I don't understand why Irfan has a link to this page for downloading IrfanView on his main page.

Thread Information