Baffled! Can't read file header only in command line mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baffled! Can't read file header only in command line mode

Newbie here ... Hi, everybody! I've been using IrfanView for years and never had a problem. I just moved from XP to a new Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I copied my folders containing the images and text command line files straight from the XP to the new PC into the same named locations. Everything worked fine on the XP. IrfanView will open all of the images in the text file when I open them manually but when I try any or all of them in command line mode, I get the "Can't read header file" and I can't figure out why. I tried running the program in XP compatibility mode and that didn't help. Version is 4.30. Just installed complete PlugIns package. Desktop Icon starting the procedure is named "Family Album", target="C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" /fs /slideshow="C:\Multimedia\Pictures\Albums\Family.tx t". Example of file name in .txt file = C:\Multimedia\Pictures\People\My Family\Mom and Sheba.JPG. All target locations are valid. I don't know what I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Bobbob,

You have written:
    "C:\Multimedia\Pictures\Albums\Family.tx t"
    Is that only a spelling mistake?
    Or is there really a space bar within the file extension TXT?

regards
    Frank

Comment

No ... there's no space

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      Hi Bobbob,

You have written:

Is that only a spelling mistake?
      Or is there really a space bar within the file extension TXT?

regards
      Frank
      I was surprised to see that when I reviewed the forum so I verified that my shortcut target and even the message I typed in do NOT contain the space. I don't know where the space came from - somewhere in the parsing of the message, I guess. Besides, getting the program started isn't the problem. But, thanks for the reply!

Comment

Does the slideshow window open before you get the "Can't read header file" message. If so it may be what is in your text file that is the problem. You say that the files have been moved to the same place in Win7 as they were in XP? Are you sure of that? Do the text file entries contain full path details or are you trying to use relative addressing of some kind?
        Last edited by Mij; 29.06.2011, 08:12 PM.

Comment

OH MY! Am I embarrassed! I must have made a minor change to one of the folder names in the target location on the XP and then never ran Family Album to realize I broke it. (My XP died so I couldn't try it now. I'm copying my files off it's drive with the new PC.) That's what I get for working into the wee hours with little sleep trying to get this new PC in order. Anyway, thank you all so much for your help!

Comment

Working...
          X