Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed PDF Save Error with compression

Hi,

I have a crash when I open an .emf file and try to save this as a pdf file. If I disable the pdf compression I don't have a crash.

I'm using (according to the list of installed plugins)
    - IrfanView 4.30
    - ImPDF 0.78

and XP Business - SP3

I have tried several other .emf files - same crash.
    If I disable the pdf compression - no crash.
    If I use e.g. a .bmp file and save it as pdf with enabled compression - no crash.

On other computers (with other OS versions - XP Home, Win7 Professional) but with the same Irfan 4.30 and ImPDF 0.78 - there are no crashes at all, regardless of the formats and if compression is enabled/disabled.

Does anybody have a hint where the problem could be? I have already cleaned any irfanview registry entry and deleted the ini-file in the windows directory before a new installation of irfanview - but without any success.

Best regards
    Uwe

I am not see any crash here when saving an EMF as a PDF with compression, so we need the file or a link to it.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi Bhikkhu,

thanks for your effort to have a look on it.
      As mentioned in my report - on my other computers there are no crashes. So it must be a crucial combination between IrfanView and my OS.
      I've tried to attach the file, which causes an error on one of my machines, but it failed with the following error:
      ----------
      Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849

Nevertheless I expext, there will be no error with this file on your machine ;-)

Is there any additional information which I can provide to track down the root cause?
      In the GUI I only got the crash dialog box. Processing the file on the command line I got some error lines. I will post this information later in the day, when I'm again on this 'special' machine.

Best regards
      Uwe

Comment

Try with this file. It works for me. EMF is not a format supported by this forum so you would have to zip it first.

If that also causes a crash for you, then you will have to wait for the PDF plug-in developer to pass by. I doubt if anyone else could answer your question.
        Attached Files
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

As promised, here are the command line print outs

If I call from Computer A:

Code:
          p:\tools\iview\i_view32 money.emf /advancedbatch /ini="p:\tools\i_view" /convert=money.pdf
          I receive the following error message:

Error: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
          Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
          Error: Couldn't read xref table

Just for clarification.
          Code:
          p:/tools/iview
          is a network directory. If I call the batch job from another computer - using the same i_view32.exe on the network - everything works fine.

If I disable pdf compression, I can do the job also on computer A.

Any hints are more than welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Uwe Strohbeck View Post
            As promised, here are the command line print outs

If I call from Computer A:

Code:
            p:\tools\iview\i_view32 money.emf /advancedbatch /ini="p:\tools\i_view" /convert=money.pdf
            I receive the following error message:

Error: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
            Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
            Error: Couldn't read xref table
            Is there a reason to use the /advancebatch option?

The error messages look like that they are from a pdf viewer which tries to open a corrupted/incomplete pdf file. I'm wonderig how this can happen after a crash.

You may create a file ImPDF.log at the location of ImPDF.dll to get some logs.

Send it to the location given in the ImPDF About tab.

Comment

Hi,

the advance batch is used for performing an autocrop on the .emf image befor converting it to .pdf

I didn't found any option to genrate a log file in the impdf.dll directory. Could you guide me how to enable this?

The only file which I was able to generate is a crash-log. But as mentioned before, uploading to this forum a file cause an error message - regardsless of the format. I've copied the first lines of this crash log, but I wonder if this file is of any help.

Best regards
              Uwe

----
              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
              <DATABASE>
              <EXE NAME="i_view32.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
              <MATCHING_FILE NAME="iv_uninstall.exe" SIZE="29696" CHECKSUM="0x84BB7507" BIN_FILE_VERSION="1.0.0.9" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="1.0.0.9" PRODUCT_VERSION="1, 0, 0, 9" FILE_DESCRIPTION="IrfanView Uninstaller" COMPANY_NAME="Irfan Skiljan, IrfanView" PRODUCT_NAME="IrfanView Uninstaller" FILE_VERSION="1, 0, 0, 9" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="iv_uninstall.exe" INTERNAL_NAME="iv_uninstall" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright © 2011 by Irfan Skiljan, Austria" VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x40004" VERFILETYPE="0x1" MO

Comment

Update
                I created the ImPDF.log successfully and will send it to the given address.

Comment

Thanks to the support of Uwe we could identify and fix the problem.

The fix will be included in ImPDF v0.82.

An intermediate version can be found here ImPDF_0_80_build 353

Comment

Working...
                  X