Option to disable scroll wheel next/prev but not next/prev buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mij View Post
    Some though, like you, do not want the scroll wheel ever to change which image is displayed, others want it always to do so, and there is a similar lack of agreement over what the other controls should do.
    I don't see why that's a problem. We simply need either a small change to the options so that everyone can have the behaviour they want, or a change to the behaviour of the one option we do have.

While you're correct in saying that I never want the scroll wheel to change the image, I'm not proposing that as the change. I'm proposing that disabling it (which is currently possible, and has been for a while) should not also disable the action of the arrow buttons.

It seems quite clear to me that there's no reason at all to disable the arrow buttons. However, if people really feel there's a need to do that, all he needs to do is add one extra tick box in the options.

I hadn't realised when I first started asking for this change (quite some time ago) that my suggestions weren't ever likely to reach the author of the software. I really do have better things to do.

Comment

I'd like the option to disable the Mouse Wheel. I have a mouse with a loose wheel, which is easy to turn by accident. I often open large images and perform edits on them, such resize and contrast adjustment, and then compare those images with other versions, or read and type text off images. Also I scroll to a particular location within a high resolution image. The edits and my position become lost if I scroll the wheel.

It would be fine if the wheel were only used for zooming like in other software. I see no reason to use it to browse a directory. One can already do it via keyboard Space - Backspace AND the mouse using the toolbar. The option that exists in preferences disables significant part of Irfan's functionality - thumbnail viewer and arrow buttons, and is of no use. A checkbox "Use mousewheel for navigation" could take that option's place.
      Last edited by j7n; 17.01.2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Yes. I want this feature too. Please kindly add this checkbox option.

We simply need either a small change to the options so that everyone can have the behaviour they want, or a change to the behaviour of the one option we do have.
        This is correct. Some users want to jump next or previous by scrolling. Some users (me included) don't want. By adding a checkbox option, all of us can be satisfied without conflicts.

Comment

Does anyone have a suggestion yet for the mouse wheel scroll disable function? Please help, it booms my head as well, but I like irfanview.

Comment

One solution is to disable viewing of all files in directory in Settings, Browsing/editing, and use the Thumbnail viewer instead to browse folders.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.08.2016, 07:39 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hy!

It's ridiculous that an request over ten years not yet fowarded.
              I see only +1 for this request, nobody depreciate it.

I use this recomandation:
              In Properties, Start/Exit options check the box that says, "Ask to save changes on program exit or file/image change."
              but unfortunately I have a sensitive laptop's touchpad, I would need a definitive solution to disable scroll well for this.
              Why not implemented in this option:
              Jump to the next Image if Mouse wheel used(if vertical scoolbar visible)
              independently from vertical scoolbar visibility?

Comment

Originally posted by atamo View Post
                It's ridiculous that an request over ten years not yet forwarded.
                See the sticky thread on how this feature request forum works.
                Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                  See the sticky thread on how this feature request forum works.
                  Of course first I read this thread, I saw this request is supported but I thought there has been enough discussion over ten years and I don't understand why anyone don't forwarded the request to Irfan Skiljan?

I'm too newbie to do this

Comment

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

See Help, About IrfanView on how to contact Irfan Skiljan.

I didn't, and still don't support the request, so I didn't forward it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                      I didn't, and still don't support the request, so I didn't forward it myself.
                      Well I do support it and did forward it to Irfan Skiljan only last year. I concentrated on those aspects that I thought he might accept having had some success in getting things changed in the past and avoiding those that I knew he would not accept.
                      I was very surprised how entrenched he seemed against this proposal. I strongly suspect that I was not the first to put it to him. Our (amicable) discussion ran to 10 emails in each direction over a period of 6 weeks and at the end I had achieved nothing.

I am willing to talk about what we discussed but I don't think this is going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                        I was very surprised how entrenched he seemed against this proposal.
                        I am not too surprised. I see only marginal benefits from this change, and as you said earlier there is no clear consensus of exactly how it should be improved.

Irfan Skiljan has been developing this software for 20 years, and still has a list as long as your arm of things that really do need fixing. Spending time to add more options that only a few users need, and that many users will never discover, and that might annoy some users, is not a great use of one's brief life on planet earth.

I will mark this feature request as rejected since he does not seem keen to do it.

In my opinion there are satisfactory workarounds, which have already been mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                        X