Clear All

The "IrfanView-Downloader" project

Hi guys,

Click image for larger version

Name:	FloppyDisk.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	84456

I had this idea about a small little tool to download the whole IrfanView package (plugin) just a few time ago.

A few years ago I created the online "directory browsing" page for downloading single program- related files like plugins, languages and toolbars.

Now I finally started to create a tool to download setup files and single files IrfanView shipps after installation. That´s what I call a IrfanView repository.

Here is a screenshot of a very early and "quick" version:

Name:	downloader.png
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	84457

The program let you browse to the IrfanView folders - and on the right side you find detailed information about the file: name, version, comment and so on.

The aim for this tool is to download new IrfanView files very fast, without thousands of mouseclicks (like you maybe know from different file hostings sites).

Some technical details: It´s written in c# (Framework version .net 2.0) so it will run under many systems (.net 2.0 framework installed). It uses a repository list, so it´s possible to use other IrfanView repositories than irfanview-forum.de, see screenshot:

Name:	downloader-settings.png
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	84458

The "best" thing: I will release it under GPLv3 - so it´s completly open- source - feel free to contact me, if you want to join the project

I´m working on it - as far as I have a "stable" version I will let you know

Stefan

EDIT: The project- page

EDIT2: Notice: Project has been moved from Google Code to a new location!!!!
    Last edited by stefan; 16.07.2011, 10:30 PM. Reason: uploaded new pictures

Hello Stefan,

how do you handle the plugins? Some plugins should be downloaded as complete package, since they depend on more than one file.
    And how do you like to handle third-party files like the canon-dlls? I mean the problem with the copyright, so I think you need a permission to distribute them, if you like to include such files.

Regards
    Nils

Comment

Hi Nils,

I'm going to obtain all rights for distributing these kind of dlls (Or should I better say: I'm trying it )

Your dependency suggestion lead my to another idea: I can easily do that with a kind of "filter" layer.

-> So you can click on "canon- dlls" or "Media dlls", "format dlls","effects dlls" or "misc dll" and so on (like Irfan did separated them on his website) and the several entries on the repository list will be checked and you can download them with just one mouseclick

Good idea by the way

Latest development step: It is possible to download files + the IrfanView folder structure will be the same in your specified download path. That means if you download the German language dll of course a folder "Languages" will be created and the language will be stored in it.

Future plans: I going to implement a kind of file version checker in order do check if you're using the latest files in your IrfanView directory.

I will do that with comparing md5 checksums

Stefan

Comment

Latest screenshot:

Name:	downloader.png
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	80534

Repository data is stored in an xml file - I´m using a sha-1 checksum for comparing files

Stefan

Comment

Hi guys,

here´s the first testing release for my IrfanView Downloader - you can download multiple files from the repository.

Name:	latest.png
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	80546

The IrfanView repository contains following release branches:

STABLE - The current IrfanView version + all files

TESTING - Updated files after the current IrfanView version. There you can find updated versions of plugins - like you can find in some threads here (languaged, plugins...).

Notice: At the moment stable = testing - I´m going to add updated version this week!

A short description how to download files with my IrfanView Downloader:

Download the file here.

You don´t have to extract/install anything - it contains the program only.

Click on the tab "Settings", choose your download folder + download the latest repository file. Click on "Download latest repository file".

After a few seconds you can go to the "IrfanView repository" tab + click on "Scan Repository".

Now you can hopefully see some repository entries. Now you´ll be able to download some files

Feedback, bug reports, wishes are highly welcome!

Stefan

EDIT: Things to be added in the next minor- version:

- deselect files after downloading
          - select all/none files from the repository list

Comment

Hi,

works great
            Code:
            22:43:14 Information:	Download of file Help\i_view32d.chm started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Html\frame.html started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Html\slideshow.html started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Html\thumbnails.html started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Languages\Deutsch.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Ansi2Unicode.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Effects.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Icons.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Paint.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\RegionCapture.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Slideshow.exe started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Video.dll started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Toolbars\Grosberg_24.png started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Toolbars\Grosberg_24.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Toolbars\Samuel_16.png started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Toolbars\Samuel_16.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_about.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_changes.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_languages.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_options.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_plugins.txt started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_view32.chm started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file i_view32.exe started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file iv_uninstall.exe started!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Html\frame.html completed!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Html\thumbnails.html completed!
            22:43:18 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Ansi2Unicode.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Icons.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Plugins\RegionCapture.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Toolbars\Grosberg_24.txt completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Toolbars\Samuel_16.txt completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Video.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file i_changes.txt completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file i_options.txt completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file i_view32.chm completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Help\i_view32d.chm completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file iv_uninstall.exe completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Html\slideshow.html completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Languages\Deutsch.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Effects.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Paint.dll completed!
            22:43:19 Information:	Download of file Plugins\Slideshow.exe completed!
            You could add some buttons to the repository tab:
            (Select all) (Unselect all) (Select new)

But, how can I check my files against the repository? I just copied the v4.28 into the download directory, but I can't see that they are old. Ok, for text files it is not possible to check the version but it might be nice to check the downloaded files again to the SHA1 code.

Regards
            Nils

Comment

Hi Nils,

thanks for your feedback!

I just implemented a few things:

[ADD] a "(de)select all" check box
              [ADD] jumping to the Log- tab to see the current download process
              [FIX] vertical scrollbar for the log textbox

Checking your local files is not implemented yet - but I´m going to start it this night

Stefan

Comment

Update on that:

It´s now possible to diff the repository files with your local IrfanView files:

Name:	difflatest.png
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	80547

(It´s really fast)

You need admin privileges (> Windows Vista), because you´re accessing the Program Files directory.

I will build a new version soon!

Stefan

Comment

Hi,

version 0.9.1.39 can be tested: download it here.

Stefan
                  Last edited by stefan; 02.08.2011, 12:08 AM. Reason: New link!!!!

Comment

Hi,

0.9.1.45: here

You don´t need admin privileges to calculate the checksum for your local IrfanView files! Diff files is very fast

Stefan

Comment

A small "workaround" for calling the downloader directly in IrfanView.

It uses the "Multimedia plugin" instead:

Name:	modified irfanview.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	80549

Zip file contains a modified version for the english language dll and the irfanview downloader (just renamed to iv_player.exe).

So you will be able to call the programm in IrfanView - "check homepage for updates" is then deprecated.

Stefan

EDIT: 0.9.1.50 implements a new about page + url checking

Name:	0.9.1.50.png
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	80551
                      Attached Files

Comment

Update on that:

0.9.1.52 does now support proxy credentials! Just enter your proxy address (ip + port), username and password and you can download files via a proxy server

Download it here.

Stefan

Comment

Hi Stefan,

I just tried to update, but I get the following error:
                          09:56:16 Error: File rep.xml could not be downloaded! No response from http://stable.irfanview-forum.de/rep.xml

Are your currently updating your repository?

Best regards
                          Nils

Comment

Hi Nils,

I'm going to re- structure the whole repository

Maybe it's working again the next days/ weekend - I'll write it here when you can use it properly

Stefan

Comment

Hi,

IrfanView 4.30 (standard installation) is now in the repository. I changed the xml format (repository description), removed the log tab and put the log messages on the main screen!

New 0.9.2.53 can be downloaded here

Screenshot:

Name:	0.9.2.53.png
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	80652

Stefan

Comment

Working...
                              X