This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
    Hmm. Quite a confusing picture to my little brain..
    What confuses you?
    Originally posted by impdf View Post
    Wow, but do not spent to much time of your vacation for this ;-)
    Naaah... just the very spare time.
    Did you already talk with Irfan that you would like to split the main window of Irfanview?
    I sent him an e-mail.
    Maybe you should start with an additional toolwindow or extend the tool selector.
    I really hate those graphics apps with a zillion windows floating around and I don't want IV and IP become like them. For example, The GIMP is great, but I really find frustrating its interface.
    IrfanPaint developer
    The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
    IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

2 MItaly
      It's not so much the zoom issue being confusing, but I don't understand the planted box on the left with the eight tools.
      I agree with you about apps with windows floating around, I prefer to have my main IV window as clean as possible.
      So I'm happy that IP gets sticked outside of the main window (if possible).

This new, also vertical window, would be added now inside the main IV one.
      Isn't it possible to first, as a default, get it sticked in the same way at the right side of the IP-box ?
      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
        I really hate those graphics apps with a zillion windows floating around and I don't want IV and IP become like them. For example, The GIMP is great, but I really find frustrating its interface.
        Me too! I just dislike how Gimp has toolbars all over the place and how we have to keep moving them around to have peek at some part of the picture!

Photfiltre on the other hand is what I'd term as ideal ... but then, to each his own!

Comment

When I imagine IP in future I'd like the toolbar inside the IV frame. Just like you would expect from any drawing/editing program. Sticked to the top-left side of the IrfanView window please. Must work fine using the F-key and/or maximized too. Full screen behaviour (Enter hides IP toolbar) should keep the same. Toolbar icons could show better when blurred somewhat...

So far you did a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
            2 MItaly
            It's not so much the zoom issue being confusing, but I don't understand the planted box on the left with the eight tools.
            Oh, that! Well, it is just an old screenshot of one of the very first beta versions of IP that I used to make the screenshot. Sorry that it is confusing.
            I agree with you about apps with windows floating around, I prefer to have my main IV window as clean as possible.
            So I'm happy that IP gets sticked outside of the main window (if possible).
            It could be easy to make an option to keep it inside or outside the IV window.
            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

change the dll name to irfanpaint.dll

when the plugin is known as irfanpaint, its dll having name paint.dll is confusing whether paint.dll and irfanpaint.dll are two different things.

No, I have found out that there is no irfanpaint.dll and the name is paint.dll, but paint.dll somehow sounds like mspaint's some version.

please consider changing the dll name to irfanpaint.dll to clear all confusions.

Thanks for one of the most useful plugin that extended the power of irfanview from only-seeing to editing.

Comment

The dll name has been decided by Irfan, actually when I compile I get a IrfanPaint.dll that is then renamed Paint.dll.
                BTW, I decided to give up with the sidebar and concentrate on layers.
                IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Maybe a slight bug - using IV 4.20 with IrfanPaint_b0.4.12.66 plugin on XPPro SP2, 1g memory.

Using the line drawing tool to precisely position a line on a graph in a 1-bit tiff image, the line jumps to the left of the crosshair when I let go of the mouse button.

I drew a vertical line, 2 pixels wide, held the shift key to constrain to a straight vertical line.

Looked good until I let go of the mouse button. Then the line jumped left about the distance of the left side of the cross of the crosshair (10-15 pixels?).

IV was in fit-to-window mode when it jumped. When IV in full size mode, line mainly stayed where I put it.

My guess is that this is probably related to the drawing layer vs. picture layer issue that you've pointed out before.

I appologize if this has already been mentioned before - I really didn't want to sort through 33 pages of messages in IrfanPaint topic!

Thanks.

Jon

Comment

WoW! Layers!!! That would be just great! Irfan View would then really be changing territory!

Comment

Indeed it would.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

@jsc37227:
                        Yes, it seems to be the usual problem. Actually it seems that I have fixed it in my private beta making IP drawing the window by itself (BTW it seems to be quite faster than IV, especially at high zoom levels).
                        IrfanPaint developer

Comment

Great, but also a pity, because there's a lot of features to be added to the toolbox. Like for instance drawing and/or painting straight lines between two points holding the Shift key. Or paint-tablet sensitive brushes/pencils. Or soft/smooth brushes. Or a Lasso tool...

Comment

Originally posted by Sjef View Post
                            Great, but also a pity, because there's a lot of features to be added to the toolbox. Like for instance drawing and/or painting straight lines between two points holding the Shift key.
                            I can do it, but it's not one of my priority.
                            Or paint-tablet sensitive brushes/pencils.
                            I don't even have a paint-tablet, nor I know how to detect the pressure.
                            Or soft/smooth brushes.
                            To implement them I'd need to use an external graphic library or to write all the antialiasing code; both choices aren't acceptable, since in the first case at least 500 KB of code would be pushed in the default IV installer (and Irfan is already concerned now that the UPXed dll is 150 KB), while in the second case my dll size would grow and I'd need to write a lot of code.
                            Or a Lasso tool...
                            Without a proper selections support in IV? It would be a real mess.
                            Anyhow, if you need these advanced features you'd better use The GIMP.
                            IrfanPaint developer

Comment

What I like is not having to wait for the GIMP to load for simple little things like drawing a circle around part of a screenshot and labeling it. And keeping my portable plugin collection small. If I need feathered selections, gradients, multiple layers, fancy brushes, drop-shadows -- then I GIMP it. If the GIMP was small and light, we wouldn't need IrfanView very much. But we do, and if it becomes something else, then what? For me, the Paint plugin is now an essential part of the toolkit. The tolerance setting for the bucket fill was the crowning glory of it. More would be nice, but not at the expense of other good qualities.
                              Its: Belongs to "It"
                              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                              ---------------------
                              Lose: Fail to keep
                              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

To MItaly: The features I described were not so much for meself to use, but I thought it would be handy for IrfanPaint users in general. Not realizing the difficulty of writing the code for it and the growth it would get. I assumed IrfanPaint being a plugin it can grow even larger then IrfanView itself and the user would have the choice to use the plugin or not. Thanks for your answer.

To Matera: I'd never vote for much growth of IrfanView itself. Not just for portable reasons but the immediate startup. Talking about portable, I use Photoshop version 6 on my USB-stick to practise the possibilities IrfanPaint lacks. Its only 144 Mb.

The Bucket fill in IrfanPaint is indeed a strong tool, but I'd say when working with layers, a Lasso tool and bezier-curves would be an obviously pair in my opinion. By the way, the Gimp isn't the only free application: check out Artweaver. It's free, 33 Mb, ‘portable’ after installing and it has lots of build-in plugins and in English too.

Comment

Working...
                                X