Easier way to view EXIF data while browsing through pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Easier way to view EXIF data while browsing through pictures

Hi, I love Irfanview! I've used it and recommended it for years. Recently I got a new high-end digital camera and I've been experimenting with all the different modes and settings to learn how to best use it. My camera records my settings for each picture as EXIF data attached to that picture. This would be very helpful for learning and diagnosing problems in my technique (my ISO was too low, my aperture too small, etc) but Irfanview makes this very difficult to make use of. For each picture I must click properties, click EXIF data, scroll down, find the parts I'm interested in, close EXIF data, close properties, then go on to the next picture. This is really needlessly time consuming when I might be going through 300 pictures at a time.

Would it be possible to leave the properties and EXIF windows open while opening new pictures, with the properties and EXIF windows updating? Or something simlar to this? All I really need to know what each picture's ISO, aperture, and exposure time were at a glance.

Take a close look at the options for showing text in fullscreen mode (Options, Fullscreen/slideshow). You can select specific Exif fields to display, which will let you focus on just a few items of interest while browsing in fullscreen mode.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Hi,

you can also use the "E" key t oopen the EXIF window. And you do not need to close it while you are viewing your pictures, just use the cursor keys (left or right) to browse through the images.

Regards
      Nils

Comment

Originally posted by llanor View Post
        For each picture I must click properties, click EXIF data, scroll down, find the parts I'm interested in, close EXIF data, close properties, then go on to the next picture.
        No, you do not have to do all that. If you open the EXIF data from the Information dialog (what I think you probably mean by "properties") then it is true that you cannot move on to the next image. It is the Information dialog that stops you moving on however. If you close that and leave just the EXIF data showing you will find that you can then move on to the next image and the EXIF dialog updates to show data for the new image just as you request. The quick way to display the EXIF dialog without going through the Information dialog though is to use the shortcut, just press key E.

IF you only want to see a few EXIF values while you browse however, I would suggest you display them on the Status bar at the bottom of the screen. Open Options >Properties/Settings and select the Viewing tab. At the bottom of the dialog box you will see where you can type in "placeholders" for displaying various items of data on the status bar. Click on the Help button beside it to see which placeholders you need to use. You can also add text to identify what they are if you like.
        I think what you will probably want is ...... ISO $E34855 F $E33437 Exposure $E33434

Edit: Sorry to duplicate some of what Nils said. I took some time sorting out the placeholder codes.
        Last edited by Mij; 07.08.2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X