No announcement yet.

v4.10 Thumbnail Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I have installed 3.98 on my new PC now.

So far I could not recreate any scroll bug yet. (But I am not sure whether I am just lucky.)

The other bug about clicking on a folder does occur. However, there is a difference: It occurs only for particular folders, not for apparently random folders. It does not always occur for these folders: in about 20% of cases of clicking, it does not occur for them.

So it does not seem to be a problem of the graphics file format interpretation. It could be a bug related to some of these reasons: Vista, Core2Duo, dynamic data structures handling thumbnail viewing, dynamic data structures handling mouse input. I am sorry that I cannot locate the bug more closely. However, the difference in behaviour of 4.10 and 3.98 might give the programmers a hint.

Comment

Hi irport,

Originally posted by irport View Post
      >> If yes, is it possible that the problem is related to the processor rather that to the OS or to IV version? <<

Why should it? Does V4.10 contain code that depends on CPU command code?
      As I wrote, some problems seem related to dual core. But I didn't mean the problem is the processor. I suppose the problem is probably with IrfanView. Not necessarily the code, but something with the compilation or something like that.

I think that simple software should be hardware-independent (except for being suitable for Windows on x86 at all).
      Nevertheless, IMHO it remains that IV shouldn't crash when ran on new processors, assuming this is the cause of the crash.
      I agree with you.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Hi irport,

Originally posted by irport View Post
        Ok, I have installed 3.98 on my new PC now.

So far I could not recreate any scroll bug yet. (But I am not sure whether I am just lucky.)

The other bug about clicking on a folder does occur. However, there is a difference: It occurs only for particular folders, not for apparently random folders. It does not always occur for these folders: in about 20% of cases of clicking, it does not occur for them.

So it does not seem to be a problem of the graphics file format interpretation. It could be a bug related to some of these reasons: Vista, Core2Duo, dynamic data structures handling thumbnail viewing, dynamic data structures handling mouse input. I am sorry that I cannot locate the bug more closely. However, the difference in behaviour of 4.10 and 3.98 might give the programmers a hint.
        Did you find some informations on how to run IV with one core only? I believe it helps. But I don't use Vista, so I don't know wat I am speaking of.

Laurent

Comment

Laurent wrote:
          >>
          Did you find some informations on how to run IV with one core only? I believe it helps.
          <<

Not yet. In which thread should I read?

Comment

Hi irport,

There is a search tool. Use for example these keywords: "thumbnail crash core" or only twho of them if the search is unsuccessful. I remember someone spoke about a setting in Vista so that a program uses only one core.

Laurent

Comment

more core2duo analysis

IV 3.98 on my Core2Duo E6600, Vista:

I use the Microsoft Processexplorer for setting core affinity. With these results so far:

Only core 0:

Clicking some particular folders crash IV, but - these folders are different from those particular folders that crash when both cores are active!

Only core 1:

After clicking on one or two hundred folders, no crash has occurred so far. (Am I only lucky or is it a work around indeed?)

Conclusion:

The thumbnail folder bug is somehow related to multiple cores. Since all my other applications (if they run at all under Vista) run well on both cores (but mostly use only one of them), the bug is IV's fault in its program code or compilation.

Comment

Hi irport,

Thanks for your feedback.

Laurent

Comment

I have the same problem with IrfanView randomly crashing (it just quits), and it's EXTREMELY frustrating!

I'm on Win XP Home. Pentium 4. 3.2GHz, 21GB RAM. Recently re-imaged so it's a pretty clean system. (Is it a dual core?)

I thought it was to do with the thumbs.db file that Windows puts in each folder if you look at it in thumbnail view in Explorer.

But I've just done a test, and randomly clicked on folders until it quit. But all that's in that folder are 7 pics, they're jpg, gif and png. Now when I go back, it doesn't crash in that folder!

I've done some more tests, it seems to be pretty random as sometimes it'll crash in a particular directory, sometimes it won't.

HELP! It's making the program totally unusable.

Comment

Again: thumbnails crash

I has been mentioned before: Irfans thumbnails will crash when changing maps in the thumbnail mode. It seems to be a typical Dual Core problem. Considering that more and more computers will have dual core processors, an update for the program would be very welcome. I understand that the developers of this program can't employ full sail since they are all volunteers. But nevertheless I hope the problem will be solved somewhere in the near future, if only to maintain the name of IrfanView, as one of the worlds most useful graphic editors, high.
                    Hans

Comment

I came here looking for a fix. I found one by mistake. I am using using Win XP running on a quad core system.

Right click the i_view.exe in your irfan view folder: C:\Program Files\IrfanView - Click properties and go to the Compatibility tab. Check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 98 / Windows Me.

I did this and it fixed the crashing when changing folders in the thumbnail viewer. For reference, when using the thumbnail viewer. I would open an image with Irfanview. Then press "T" to see the thumbnails in that folder, then if I wanted to view another folder and selected one on the right side, the program would just diaper. No warning, no error...
                      Last edited by Mic; 03.03.2008, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I never encounter this problem on my laptop (AMD Turon 64 X2 1.60GHz) but get it all the time on the desktop (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz). I have now set affinity of i_view32.exe to CPU 0 on the desktop and the problem is very much reduced but still does crash very occasionally.
                        I would guess that the problem might be caused by processor speed - we are now running the IV code too fast. There is probably a process in IV that depends on processor delays in order to run reliably.
                        Interesting that it works OK in Win98/ME compatibility but not in any of the NT system compatibility modes.

P.S. Somebody asked how to set the CPU core affinity. Easiest way is to use Task Manager. Open IrfanView first. Right click on the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and find i_view32.exe in the process list. Right click on it and select Set Affinity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          I never encounter this problem on my laptop (AMD Turon 64 X2 1.60GHz) but get it all the time on the desktop (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz). I have now set affinity of i_view32.exe to CPU 0 on the desktop and the problem is very much reduced but still does crash very occasionally.
                          I would guess that the problem might be caused by processor speed - we are now running the IV code too fast. There is probably a process in IV that depends on processor delays in order to run reliably.
                          Interesting that it works OK in Win98/ME compatibility but not in any of the NT system compatibility modes.

P.S. Somebody asked how to set the CPU core affinity. Easiest way is to use Task Manager. Open IrfanView first. Right click on the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and find i_view32.exe in the process list. Right click on it and select Set Affinity.
                          Mij I have also the problem of IV crashing going to thumbnails. I tried your easy suggestion on how to change the Affinity and it worked a treat. However when I next checked I found that the setting had reverted to both CPU 0 and 1 again.
                          Did I do something wrong or does it need to be reset each time?
                          TIA
                          LPS

Comment

Yes, you are right. I had not even noticed because my system now seems to be working reasonably reliably even though I am back on dual-cores.
                            You can use THG Task Assignment Manager instead. Download it from http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/05/...ocessing_buck/
                            It is slightly better. You can define a profile so that i_view32.exe is always started with affinity to one particular CPU core but the program (TaskAssign.exe) does have to be running before IV starts.

I used the word "crash" in connection with this problem because everyone before had done so but what I see is not a system crash. IV is still running but hangs with the Busy cursor showing. The new thumbnail folder does not even start to load. IV looks as though it is still waiting for it. Is that what everyone else sees?

Comment

Crash in Thumbnail viewer while selecting folders

Windows XP Professional
                              IrfanView 4.10

1. Open IrfanView Thumbnails (T)
                              2. Switch between different folders in the folder list on the left
                              3. IrfanView occasionally crashes (after about ~20 folders switched)

The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Comment

Thanks Tibx. I suspect that what you describe in steps 1 , 2 and 3 is what all of us are experiencing. It's what I see.
                                What I was really trying to discover is just what you all mean by "crash". I am not at all sure that we all see the same effect. It sounds like you get an error message. If so is IrfanView still open or has it been shut down. Is Windows locked up, or is it just IrfanView? Does it give any clue about what process returned that message?
                                To get any action on this problem I think we need to gather more information. We might have to prove that there is a bug in IrfanView.
                                Running IV on a single core might relieve the symptoms a bit but it is no solution to the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X