v4.10 Thumbnail Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's simple – it crashes to the standard Application Error message box:

Whether this message is displayed or not depends on the operating system setting in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug:
    If the value of Auto is set to 0, then the system will generate a pop-up window.

It seems that there is a bug in i_view32.exe, but it manifests in ntdll.dll:

I have a dual core processor, so it may be some kind of timing problem with the race condition between two threads...
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.03.2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: Change image to url

Comment

Hi tibx,

Interesting. Now I remember that IrfanView's main viewer and thumbnails viewer are the same executable:
      i_view32.exe
      i_view32.exe /thumbs
      It would be interesting to test if there are still crashes when only the thumbnails viewer is active (main window closed). Maybe this could support your explanation.

Laurent
      Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

It doesn't matter if the main window is visible or not, it crashes alike...

Comment

call stack:

NTDLL! 7c901230()
          NTDLL! 7c96cd80()
          NTDLL! 7c96df66()
          NTDLL! 7c94a5d0()
          NTDLL! 7c9268ad()
          KERNEL32! 7c80995a()
          COMCTL32! 773d4eca()
          COMCTL32! 773e0ab0()
          COMCTL32! 773e7419()
          COMCTL32! 773e948f()
          COMCTL32! 773e5565()
          COMCTL32! 77432c9f()
          COMCTL32! 77432e0b()
          COMCTL32! 7743310a()
          COMCTL32! 77417f04()
          COMCTL32! 7741dd04()
          COMCTL32! 7741ecaa()
          COMCTL32! 774215be()
          USER32! 7e418734()
          USER32! 7e418816()
          USER32! 7e41b4c0()
          USER32! 7e41b50c()
          NTDLL! 7c90eae3()
          USER32! 7e4196c7()
          I_VIEW32! 0046d081()

Comment

Very interesting Tibx. I am not sure where it gets us though. Your information sent me looking at the "Problem reports and solutions" feature in Vista and I was surprised to find that every instance of the crash in Thumbnails is saved and a report sent to Microsoft - they must be pretty sick of getting them by now. There are a few different variations of the report but most of them look like this;

Product IrfanView
            Problem Stopped working
            Date 20/03/2008 16:57
            Status Report Sent

Problem signature
            Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
            Application Name: i_view32.exe
            Application Version: 4.1.0.0
            Application Timestamp: 4712265c
            Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
            Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
            Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
            Exception Code: c0000005
            Exception Offset: 0003b15f
            OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
            Locale ID: 2057
            Additional Information 1: d5a4
            Additional Information 2: a6256c6a8b60473bc215ce6cbbaf6466
            Additional Information 3: 60f2
            Additional Information 4: 86cbf150d5fe2e4772c6d1db84a7cb6a

Extra information about the problem
            Bucket ID: 539807082

Comment

The only feasible solution so far

Set the comptability to Windows 98/Windows ME.
              Now you can change thumbs directory without any problem while the dual core is remaining fully active!

Hans

Comment

I'm sorry

I apologize, it's not true, eventually thumbnails will crash as well with comptability settings. I'm getting sick of the whole thing. Nobody seems to care really about the problem, nothing happens, while people are wasting their time to find a solution. I have to consider continuing with Irfanview.

Comment

Hi Hans,

Nobody seems to care really about the problem, nothing happens, while people are wasting their time to find a solution.
                  Frustrating remark for the users who contributed to discover why these crashes happen. Now, all what we can do is to wait for a new release of IrfanView, hoping that this bug will be corrected. Irfan Skiljan is the only developper of IrfanView and he is the only person who can correct this bug. And he has to deal with other bugs and feature requests. So the final word is: be patient.

Laurent

Comment

This is not the usual sort of problem though, Laurent. It does not happen on all computers. It does not even happen on all dual core machines. I have one where it does and one where it does not, but for those who are suffering from it it's a big problem.
                    Irfan is unlikely to be able to cure this bug unless he is able to reproduce it or is willing to work with someone else who can. That is why people are beginning to doubt that it will ever get fixed.
                    ....and if it is not going to get fixed by Irfan then we will probably need to redouble our own efforts to find a good workaround. It sure would be nice to know.

Comment

Hi Mij,

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      Irfan is unlikely to be able to cure this bug unless he is able to reproduce it or is willing to work with someone else who can. That is why people are beginning to doubt that it will ever get fixed.
                      Honestly, I don't know what Irfan is likely or unlikely to be able to do, and whether he is able or unable to reproduce the bug. I guess he appreciates constructive remarks.

I really hope this bug will be corrected soon since I have a new computer with dual core

Laurent

Comment

Hello. I just built a new dual core system. Every time I attempt to open a version 4.10 pic folder (regardless of size) I get the following error message: i_view32.exe Application Error. The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read". I uninstalled and reinstalled IrfanView, and tried most of the suggestions I found in the forum -- same problem. IrfanView is my favorite image viewer/editor and I would hate to lose it.

Comment

No fix after all

after reading all posting i guess there is no fix for this bug. too bad

Comment

To: Onsitech
                            That does not sound like the Thumbnail crash that people here have been talking about. That sounds more like a OS problem.

I suggest that you re-install Windows.
                            I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                            Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Reinstalling the O/S

ChuckE, tibx posted the same error message. This is a fresh XP SP2 install on a newly built dual core system. The box runs great -- all of my other software (which includes a lot of high end video and photo editors) installed and run without issue. In this case reinstalling the O/S is not the solution, but thank you for your input.

Comment

Crash - not dual core

I have a similar issue, but on a older P4 XP, very stable system.

1. Start Irfanview
                                2. Open Image (*.JPG)
                                3. Press T for Thumbs
                                4. Select 1 or more images
                                5. Press F8 for Copy
                                6. Press 1 for folder to copy images
                                7. Click in the left pane to change to the next folder - This is when the crash occurs.

Irfanview will crash with the i_view32.exe "The instruction at "0x7c91142e" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"." error.

Sometimes it will crash after only copying twice, sometimes 6 or 8 times. I did a restart and did not start any other programs thinking I had a memory issue. The next time I only made 2 copies before the crash. Restarted the program and made 5 copies; crash. After it crashed about 8 times quickly, I even got the Send Error message box to Windows notice, but only that once.

I tried de-selecting the images before changing folders, no difference. I could not find a pattern or a cause.

Thank you!
                                Hootowls

Comment

Working...
                                X