No announcement yet.

v4.10 Thumbnail Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problems that Onsitech and Howtools describe are clearly not quite the same as the Thumbnail crashes that were discussed earlier but they might be related. They both show similar outcomes from IrfanView requests to open new folders.
    Since Osnitech has a dual core processor it may be worth trying to set the core affinity as was described earlier.
    I have now settled on using THG Task Assignment Manager (which I mentioned back on page 3). In the Application profiles of THG, I set i_view32.exe to core 2. I get no crashes with that set up.
    I put a shortcut to THG next to the one for Irfanview, so all I need to do is click THG first and then IV. Still a workaround and one extra click but worthwhile if I am going to use Thumbnails a lot.
    It would be nice to have a proper fix though.

Comment

Same Error in Version 3.99

I uninstalled Version 4.10 and installed 3.99.

Second folder change, crash!

Same Error Message.

hootowls

Comment

No surprise. Nobody said this was unique to the latest version. I believe this Thumb-view crash has been around for a long, LONG time. I have about 20 older versions, and I could start them up to see if this same crash happens with them, as well, but what does that prove? This is a current problem and needs to be resolved.
        I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
        Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

This is indeed a problem going on for quite some time.
          So I think it may be important to gather the actual technical data, about when it does happen and when not.
          Data about OS, version, other apps running, command-order, way of opening IV, etc.
          So it could be narrowed down, and maybe some relations come into sight.
          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

After taking Mij's advice and setting the core affinity, IrfanView is behaving differently...

I now can open a page of thumbnails, click on an image and view it without problem. I can select another image and again view it without problem. Then, if I try to open another folder of thumbnails, IV just closes -- with no error message.

While I'm new to this forum, and not a coder, as a long time PC Tech I have experienced my share of software/hardware compatibility issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
              This is indeed a problem going on for quite some time.
              So I think it may be important to gather the actual technical data, about when it does happen and when not.
              Data about OS, version, other apps running, command-order, way of opening IV, etc.
              So it could be narrowed down, and maybe some relations come into sight.
              I am sure that you are right Sam_Zen, and I have just remembered something I see that I have not mentioned.
              In Vista, when the crash happens the screen goes into it's security mode (colors go pale), like it does when it asks you whether you really want to continue with what you are trying to do.
              As I understand it from the error reports the crash sequence appears to be something like;
              1. User requests a new folder
              2. Irfanview makes a system call that activates ntdll.dll to get the information
              3. ntdll.dll tries to write something to a non-existent or unallocated address in memory
              4. An error is reported and Irfanview is shut down
              This process often lasts several seconds though. The security mode is entered and the Busy cursor displays in IrfanView almost immediately. Whether action 3 has already happened at that time I could not say. It might be surmised that the error message would be shown as soon as 3 occurred. If this is the fatal action, what are we waiting for? If the problem starts after 2 however the system may be waiting for a response to a security issue.

We have reports of the crash over more than one version of both XP and Vista so I doubt that it is software version dependent. There are always many other software processes running in the background on everyone's computer I would imagine. Is there any chance of tracking down a common culprit?
              It almost certainly is hardware dependent (processor speed, number of cores, etc.). That may be a more profitable line to follow up. Is the CPU manufacturer significant? Mine is dual core AMD and so is one of the others mentioned. Does it happen with dual core Intel processors too?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

Mij- to answer your question re. Intel processors- yes. I'm having similar problem with Thumbnails- IrfanView would crash when I selected different folders to view in the Thumbnail Window. Changed compatibility to run in Win98/Me mode, and have not had a crash since- will keep fingers crossed.

Dell Precision T3400 Intel Core2Duo Processors
                Windows XP Pro- 64bit version

Here was the error notification that popped up:

Irfanview Thumbnails: i_view32.exe- Application Error
                The exception unknown software exception (0x0000005) occurred in the application at location 0x7d6213f3.

Click on OK to terminate the program
                Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Comment

Thanks XingXang
                  The disadvantage of using Win98 compatibility is that you cannot then open IrfanPaint. Since the problem seems to be somehow associated with the NT file system handler (ntdll.dll), I wonder if perhaps that handler is not used in Win98 compatibility modes. If it was a real Win98 system it would not be able to read NT file systems at all, but it seems that this compatibility mode of XP and Vista can.
                  If you search on Google for combinations of "ntdll.dll" "crash" and "dual core" you get lots to read suggesting that this is an old problem not just involving IrfanView. You can find threads there about AMD processors, which is why I asked the question. Lots of theories, but no conclusions or solutions that I found.
                  That said, I have several alternative programs where I can thrash the thumbnail viewer as hard as I like and never have a crash, so why not IrfanView...?

Comment

Thumbnail problem???

Hello all -- I have read this entire thread in search of the solution to my THUMBNAIL problem...

1. First off, I DO NOT experience a crash or any error msg.
                    2. I have only JPG files, saved over the years, some as recent as today.
                    3. In the thumbnail view, some display, others do not.
                    4. The number of files in the folder does not appear relevant in my case:
                    -- a folder containing 665 images displays all thumbnails
                    -- a folder with 2 images does not display thumbnails
                    file size in both folders run 40 to 150 KB
                    5. Folders that do not display thumbnails also do not run filmstrips
                    6. When I double-click, all files display full-sized, regardless they display thumbnails or not.
                    7. All files were saved in exactly the same manner, using "Save image as..."
                    8. This "no thumbnail" problem surfaced a few months ago, yet an hour ago I saved closed to 100 images and all are displaying their thumbnail.

I have been using Irfanview for years, my current version is 4.1
                    I am running WinXP SP2 on an old AMD processor.
                    All images have been saved with this system.

Has anyone else had this problem?
                    Thanks for any assistance...
                    - H52

Comment

No crashes yet with the new v4.20. How are others finding it?

Comment

No more thumbnail crashes

Problem solved with 4.20, thanks Irfan!

Comment

Originally posted by hawkeye52 View Post
                          ...in search of the solution to my THUMBNAIL problem...
                          hawkeye52 you need another thread. This thread has nothing to do with what you've described. People reading this thread will, most likely, not be looking in reference to your problem.

Either find a more relevant thread, or start your own, if you want to get your issue resolved.
                          I wish to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
                          Not like those passengers, in his car, when he drove over that cliff.

Comment

Working...
                          X