v4.10 Thumbnail Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed v4.10 Thumbnail Crash

I have recently upgraded my pc with an AMD dual core Opterron 185 processor. Everything runs beautifully except now Irfanview Thumbnails will crash when I try to click on any drive. I´m running XP Professional and I have 2 GB ram and an ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard. In the faq there´s an explanation which states that this is an XP bug which can be fixed by reducing the number of files in any folders, but since the program will crash even before I get to the folders this can´t be right. Also Adobe bridge and Canon Zoom Browser has no problems showing thumbnails. I had my hopes up high, when the new version 4.10 was released, but unfortunately this particular bug does not seem to have been adressed. I hope you can fix this problem in upcoming versions, since Irfanview has been my favourite image browser for years.

Hi,

try this: start IView, open the task manager and set the affinity of the iview.exe to only one core. Then try it again without closing IView.

If the bug disappears then you found an older bug from the thumbnail viewer which appears sometimes on multi core computers.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Set the Affinity for the heart of the sun...

Thanks Nils

I tried setting the affinity first for core 0, then core 1, but Thumbnails is still crashing as soon as I click any drive in the explorer

Comment

Hi,

I'm using a AMD Athlon x64 dual core processor and I can't see this bug yet.

Sorry, but I couldn't help with that problem.

Regards, Nils.

Comment

Thumbnail Crash Solution!

I Have Quad Core Dual Boot.
          Irfanview Thumbnail Crashes In Vista But Works In Xp.

I Found A Solution!
          --> Right Click On Downloaded Irfanview Setup Exe. I wonder if that shouldn't be i_view32.exe? (moderator)

Choose Properties-->compatibility--->check The Box And Choose To Run In Compatibility Mode For Xp-sp2.
          Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.12.2007, 05:40 PM. Reason: Doubtful about instructions

Comment

Still Crashes for me after Choosing To Run In Compatibility Mode For Xp-sp2

Comment

Thumbnails crash with Vista

Every time I click a new directory in Thumbnails view, Irfan comes in error state and is closing. I use Vista. Please help!

Comment

Hi,

try to disable the other cores for iview32.exe (Just one core ...)

steve

Comment

* Running dual core, XPSP2 Pro. This works:

Succat

Comment

Simplest solution for Vista thumbnail-crash problem

I don't like the one core trick for dual PC's at all, so I would suggest the following workaround:
                    simply use the Vista Explorer for thumbnail viewing! Vista Explorer is very sophisticated, with a slide rule for adjusting the thumbnail size (mousewheel+Ctrl works as well) , great slideshow feautures, many kinds of sorting. But in this case the most important feature is: after right clicking a thumbnail you choose "open with", and then ....of course you open with Irfan. You can also set Irfan as default, so double clicking a picture will always open it in Irfan. Make a link on your desk to your photo directory and you have a perfect thumbnail intermediate to IrfanView.
                    Last edited by hansvanleeuwen; 02.01.2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hansvanleeuwen View Post

Simplest solution for Vista thumbnail-crash problem

"...I would suggest...{using}...the Vista Explorer for thumbnail viewing..."
                      Hi Hans

I don't run Vista and am interested to learn whether or not your suggested workaround allows for "Batch" processing - that very useful feature in the IV-Thumbnail GUI ?

Cheers!

Succat

Comment

Using Explorer for thumbnails

No, Explorer can only batch rename, but you don't need Irfan thumbnails for batch processing, the main Irfan program can do that as well.
                        greetings
                        Hans

Comment

Irfan 4.10 Crashes when Clicking Folder or Scrolling

My system: Irfan 4.10, Vista Ultimate 32b, logged in as either administrator or user, Core2Duo E6600, 2GB RAM.

Bug 1: I open IrfanView's Thumbnail Window with 400x400 pixels thumbnails size. I click on one folder after another to view the JPG and / or GIF images therein. At some unpredictable time, clicking on a folder then crashes IrfanView. (Note: Usually starting Irfanview again and then clicking on that particular folder first does not crash IrfanView, at least not immediately.)

Bug 2: I open IrfanView's Thumbnail Window with 400x400 pixels thumbnails size. I click on one folder after another to view the JPG and / or GIF images therein. In the folders with more images than fitting into the screen, I press and / or move the scroll down bar. In some upredictable folder and at some unpredictable time, pressing / moving the scroll bar then crashes IrfanView.

Since others have also reported similar problems, it is maybe not a problem related to Vista but specific of version 4.10? Since the moments of crashes are seemingly unpredictable, there are two likely causes: a) Dynamic data structures create a sort of memory overflow or something like that. b) The program code for handling mouse input is buggy (e.g., maybe because moving the mouse while clicking irritates the mouse event data structures?).

The bugs are so frequent that it is almost impossible to use IrfanView for me. I need to use XnView instead, unfortunately. Earlier versions of IrfanView (around 3.98 or 3.99), which I used under Windows98SE, did not have those bugs.

If I may express a wish - fixing those bugs would be nice, really
                          Last edited by irport; 07.01.2008, 03:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Hi irport,

Difficult to find where the problem is:
                            - you changed IrfanView version (3.99 -> 4.10),
                            - you changed the OS (Win98 -> Vista),
                            - did you change the computer too?

If yes, is it possible that the problem is related to the processor rather that to the OS or to IV version? I feel so because several bugreports posted are related to dual core processors.

Maybe you can make a search ("dual core") on this forum to find informations on how to avoid IV to crash. Nevertheless, IMHO it remains that IV shouldn't crash when ran on new processors, assuming this is the cause of the crash.

So it should be interesting to know whether IV 3.99 crashes or not when installed on Vista.

Laurent
                            Before you post ... fill in your OS and IV version in your profile.

Comment

Laurent wrote:
                              >> - did you change the computer too? <<

Yes.

>> If yes, is it possible that the problem is related to the processor rather that to the OS or to IV version? <<

Why should it? Does V4.10 contain code that depends on CPU command code?

>>
                              Maybe you can make a search ("dual core") on this forum to find informations on how to avoid IV to crash.
                              <<

I think that simple software should be hardware-independent (except for being suitable for Windows on x86 at all). I do not want to encourage the opposite by testing such.

>>
                              Nevertheless, IMHO it remains that IV shouldn't crash when ran on new processors, assuming this is the cause of the crash.
                              <<

Yes.

>>
                              So it should be interesting to know whether IV 3.99 crashes or not when installed on Vista.
                              <<

I have checked my stored versions; the last before 4.00 I have is 3.98. I will try it later.

Comment

Working...
                              X