Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving grayscale image to PDF

Hi,
    I have a following problem: I'm saving an 8-bit grayscale image to PDF, but the compression settings for "grayscale images" do not have any effects. Instead, it is the "true color images" settings which work, but with undesirable results, e.g. if I choose "JPEG (best quality)" then the image in PDF has decreased color depth. I tried to look at the image information to make sure that the original image is indeed 8-bit grayscale, but the PDF plugin simply seems not to recognize that. Am I doing anything wrong?
    Thanks
    hombre

Originally posted by hombre View Post
    Hi,
    I have a following problem: I'm saving an 8-bit grayscale image to PDF, but the compression settings for "grayscale images" do not have any effects.
    Please check your palette. It must contain 256 entries ascending from (0,0,0) to (255,255,255).

Comment

Originally posted by impdf View Post
      Please check your palette. It must contain 256 entries ascending from (0,0,0) to (255,255,255).
      I checked the palette and it looks exactly as you wrote.

I would attach an example to the forum but I get an error on uploading the file:
      "
      Fatal error:

Could not create file system directory to hold your attachment.

Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class vB_DataManager_AttachmentFiledata in [path]/includes/class_dm.php on line 849
      "

Comment

Hi,

for the upload problems, please read this article

Stefan

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
          Hi,

for the upload problems, please read this article

Stefan
          Unfortunately that didn't help either...

Comment

The problem is quite simple: just convert any image to grayscale and try saving it as PDF. The compression settings for grayscale will not have any effect, while the true color will, which will of course result in a bad image in pdf because the original image is grayscale.

Is anybody able to reproduce this? I'm using v4.30 on Win Wista.

Comment

The problem is quite simple: just convert any image to grayscale and try saving it as PDF. The compression settings for grayscale will not have any effect, while the true color will, which will of course result in a bad image in pdf because the original image is grayscale.

Is anybody able to reproduce this? I'm using v4.30 on Win Wista.
              We will check if this is reproducable. But even if for some reason the rgb filter setting is taken instead of the gray one, I would not expect a difference in the color space. What do you expect in the resulting image?

Comment

Hi,

I can confirm this problem with IV 4.30 on Windows 7 x64.

@impdf: a feautre request: is it possible to have also metric measurement for border sizes?

Regards
                Nils

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
                  @impdf: a feautre request: is it possible to have also metric measurement for border sizes?
                  Never mix thread contents ;-)

The "Unit used for dimensions" on the "General" tab should do the trick.

Comment

We will check if this is reproducable. But even if for some reason the rgb filter setting is taken instead of the gray one, I would not expect a difference in the color space. What do you expect in the resulting image?
                    Sorry, I was wrong in reporting that the broken image has decreased color depth, that was my first impression. In fact it looks like this:

This is with true color compression set to "JPEG (best quality)".

Comment

Sorry, I was wrong in reporting that the broken image has decreased color depth, that was my first impression. In fact it looks like this:

This is with true color compression set to "JPEG (best quality)".
                      I looks like that the ui part randomly chooses for the gray filter the rgb one. Still it takes the quality from gray. So as a temporary solution: Select the same compression setting for gray and rgb and the result for gray should be as expected.

Comment

I looks like that the ui part randomly chooses for the gray filter the rgb one. Still it takes the quality from gray. So as a temporary solution: Select the same compression setting for gray and rgb and the result for gray should be as expected.
                        That works, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X