No announcement yet.

Problem with Custom/Fine Rotation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported Problem with Custom/Fine Rotation.

I am using a dual quad core PC with 3 GB of RAM running Win XP Pro SP3. At boot up I have the option of addressing the standard 2 GB of RAM or all 3 GB.

Oft times, when using Custom/Fine Rotation more than once on an image, I get this error message: Error, Can't allocate memory for result image(s)! Out of memory. This happens even on images as small as 500KB

I don't know if this an OS issue or a legitimate bug.

Thanks for your help!

Have you tried using the straighten tool in IrfanPaint — its much better. Perhaps that will not generate these errors. I don't recall coming across them before. What values are you using for fine rotate?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by edboothart View Post
      Oft times, when using Custom/Fine Rotation more than once on an image, I get this error message: Error, Can't allocate memory for result image(s)! Out of memory. This happens even on images as small as 500KB
      I cannot reproduce this using Windows 7. I have just tried fine rotating a 28MB bitmap image 20 times without problem.

Each rotation took about 10 seconds to complete. Memory usage was sitting around 47% when I started and had gone up to around 57% by the end of the 20 operations. I did notice that memory usage increased whilst the rotation was being done and stepped up to around 20% above the start level as soon as the rotation was complete but dropped back to marginally above the start level about 5 seconds later. When I closed Irfanview, memory usage dropped immediately to 34%. Windows 7 then set it back to around 47% a few seconds later. That is the level that Windows 7 appears to maintain by default for instruction pre-fetch.

So I think you might run into problems with memory usage if you did keep on doing fine rotations, but many more and with much bigger images than you report.
      Last edited by Mij; 31.08.2011, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Memory leak in rotate

Hi All,
        It just so happens that I was about to report on the same problem. This has actually been the case with many previous program versions, the memory usage was increasing with the number of files being rotated. The work-around was simple in my case - just exit Irfanview and restart. This cancels all the accumulated leaked memory. Note that this also occurs identically, using the IrfanPaint rotate function. My bug report in detail:

When rotating a large number of images, Irfanview takes more and more memory, leading to slow execution and finally Windows issues the error:
        "Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low"
        or occasionally crashing. This problem can be seen most easily by using Windows Task Manager to view the gradual increase in memory usage. Also, below, I have included a counter-example - so not all commands that use extra memory during execution, have memory leaks. For reference, I have included a test file to use, however, this problem can be viewed with any size / type of file.

Test file link: http://www.dundasvalleyorchestra.ca/...TestRotate.tif

Procedure:
        1. Load file into Irfanview.

2. Open "Windows Task Manager", click on tab 'Processes', ensure that 'Mem Usage' column is displayed and that Irfanview program (i_view32.exe) is displayed in the list.

3. Note the amount of memory used by Irfanview.

4. Perform a rotation of the image - say 5 degrees with menu:
        'Image' -> 'Custom / Fine rotation..."
        enter 5 degrees for the angle, click OK.

5. The 'Mem Usage' increases - this is fine - the rotated image is larger.

6. Now, without doing anything else - reload the original unrotated image with:
        Shift-r

7. Problem: Memory does not return to original value as shown in step 3.

8. Now, repeat the process at step 4. This results in further memory increases, eventually resulting in the
        "Virutual Memory Minimun..." error message.

Counter-example:
        Here is an example of Irfanview command that uses memory as expected:

1. Again load file into Irfanview, start "Windows Task Manager" as described above.

2. Note the amount of memory used by Irfanview.

3. Increase the canvas size with menu:
        'Image' -> 'Change canvas size...'
        Click 'Method 1' and enter, say, 200 pixels into each of the 4 boxes.
        Click OK
        4. The 'Mem Usage' increases - this is fine - the image is larger.

5. Now, reload the original sized image with:
        Shift-r

6. Correct behavior - the memory returns to the original value noted above.

7. Repeating from step 3, a number of times results in no further memory increases.

I hope this helps....
        Best regards to all.
        Last edited by sheetmusic; 03.09.2011, 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried all of them with varying degrees of success.

IrfanPaint doesn't generate an arror report, it just does nothing!

When I open up Windows Task Manager, it is amazing to watch the memory usage spike to +1.7GB! At, or before, that point the operation fails and I get the error message. The only thing that works (sometimes) is to close IrfanView and restart it. Even then it doesn't always work. If the straigtening is critical I just start up AutoCAD and use their Raster Plugin (which is a much larger application in terms of overhead) However, it never fails to do what is needed! It is much more cumbersome to use however and that is why I like to use IrfanView!

Comment

Working...
          X