Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Thumbnail Efficiency Improvements Needed

v4.30 win xp sp3

The thumbnail pane has serious performance and ui issues when there are a large number of images in a directory, say more than a few hundred.

Problem 1. Any action which causes a refresh of the thumbnail pane starts at the first file in the directory and continues in sequence until all thumbnails are refreshed. This can take a VERY long time.

Feature request 1. Change the order of thumbnail refresh as follows:
    1. refresh any thumbnails which are currently selected and currently visible.
    2. refresh all remaining thumbnails currently visible
    3. refresh remaining thumbnails in background.
    4. if user scrolls window, changing what is visible, modify the refresh queue and do 1. and 2. again as needed before continuing with 4.
    Feature request 2. Thumbnail refresh is slower than many other programs. Consider some speedup, such as reading image files by strides.

Problem 2. User attempting to move thumbnail panel window to include a desired thumbnail range fails if thumbnails are being refreshed: user is soon ignored and visibility returns either to initial segment or wherever the thumbnail refresher is currently working.

Feature request 3. Get rid of the annoying behavior. Do not move viewport except when user does it through the ui.

I think what you are describing as Problem 2 is the autoscroll which can be turned off in the Thumbnail options.

Comment

autoscroll, resample

Originally posted by Mij View Post
      I think what you are describing as Problem 2 is the autoscroll which can be turned off in the Thumbnail options.
      I already had autoscroll turned off, so I don't think that is correct.

However, I did notice that I had thumbnail resampling set, rather than the faster "resizing", so that may speak to the speed of generating each individual thumbnail.

Comment

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. It is more complicated than I thought. It appears that it autoscrolls (regardless of whether or not autoscroll is selected) until it reaches the image of a selected thumbnail. That does make some sense if you have an image displayed in the browser and start up thumbnails from there, but it is very confusing if you are not working with the browser window.
        You can stop the autoscrolling by selecting a thumbnail that has already been opened and clicking on it. Then you can scroll somewhere else and it stays there. It appears that you cannot select a thumbnail that has not yet been displayed though.
        It could be argued that there is no point in showing empty thumbnail outlines that have not yet been opened and that is the reason why it autoscrolls until it reaches a selected position.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Ah, yes, I see what you mean. It is more complicated than I thought. It appears that it autoscrolls (regardless of whether or not autoscroll is selected) until it reaches the image of a selected thumbnail. That does make some sense if you have an image displayed in the browser and start up thumbnails from there, but it is very confusing if you are not working with the browser window.
          You can stop the autoscrolling by selecting a thumbnail that has already been opened and clicking on it. Then you can scroll somewhere else and it stays there. It appears that you cannot select a thumbnail that has not yet been displayed though.
          It could be argued that there is no point in showing empty thumbnail outlines that have not yet been opened and that is the reason why it autoscrolls until it reaches a selected position.
          Yes, that could be argued. It could also be argued that it's simply careless ui design. For example, if you select a thumbnail, the program ignores you and changes the viewport to where it happens to currently be updating thumbnails, thereby taking control of the viewport away from the user.

Comment

Working...
          X