Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested emf files - zoom should reload instead of pixelate

Hi.

If I open a relatively small emf file (300x300 pixels or less) and then want to zoom in, Irfanview does the zooming the exact way as for any other raster file format. So a small size emf file would get pixelated when zoomed in.

It would make more sense if the whole image was reloaded when zoomed. Reloading a vector image would make it bigger on the screen without looking pixelated.

Thanks
    If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Try it — Zoom in, then reopen the file. It will always open at the same size in pixels. It depends on the size the EMF file was created at. You can enable resampling from the View menu, Display options, but the file will still be only 300 x 300 pixels.

What you need to do is open the vector image in a drawing program and export it at a larger size.

The attached archive contains three WMF exported at different sizes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 08.09.2011, 06:07 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I remembered trying paint shop pro. When importing a wmf file, it always asked to rescale when opening.

However, for a program designed to view multiple pictures, that is not a good solution.
      If it hurts not to drint, don't waste the bottle then.

Comment

I have seen this kind of behaviour in PaintShop Pro too, though I don't use it now.

I can tell you now, to save you wasting any more time on this, that Irfan is unlikely to implement this. As you noticed, it is inconvenient to be asked on opening an image what resolution you want. With PDF images, you can set the resolution in Options and all PDF files will then be opened at that resolution. Whenever you open a vector in IrfanView it is converted to a bitmap, so its impractical for editing EMF, WMF, EPS, SVG, etc.It just not the right tool for the job.

If you want to edit vector images, use a drawing program. Try the free version of DrawPlus

If all you want to do is quickly view metafiles to find the right one to use, then IrfanView is ideal for that, especially in thumbnail mode (you can change the thumbnail size). Because it opens a low resolution preview image, it can be very fast. If you wanted a 600 dpi version created from vectors each time, it would be very slow. Try setting the postscript options to 300 or 600 dpi, then browse some PDF files. Quality is great, but who needs that just for checking the file contents?
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Working...
        X