Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

format support

hello.
    i'm trying to play adobe's mp4s.not quicktime.
    what plugins do i need,or it can't be done without installing adobe air?(MINE:irfanview ver.4.30,& plugins ver.4.30 installed.)
    same thing goes for pdfs.(without air,or ghostscript.)
    i'm guessing,you can't just dump DLLs into the plugins folder,& they would be automatically detected!?

Hi surge666666,

For the mp4 format read the answer of Skippybox in the thread "mp4"!

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
    From Help:

"IrfanView has QuickTime support! This allows IrfanView to read following formats: MOV, 3GP, MP4, QTIF, Mac PICT, FLI/FLC. You can enable/disable this support for these formats. To play QuickTime files with IrfanView, the Quicktime PlugIn and Apple QuickTime must be installed.

Use DirectShow for playing: this option is usefull for some video files, like AVIs with MJPG codec or some MPG, MP4, MOV or WMV files."

Activate on the Video/Sound tab of Properties/Settings. I would imagine that not all MP4 files would be supported, but I have gotten them to play.
    (Read also: "Any way to view MOV files without installing QuickTime")

For the pdf format please consider:

To open PDF files with IrfanView it's necessary to install Ghostscript and the Postscript plugin!
    With Postscript plugin (and Ghostscript) IrfanView is able to read EPS, PS and PDF formats!

see:

see:
    Download Ghostscript for free. The #1 PDL conversion tool available today. Ghostscript is an interpreter for the PostScript® language and PDF files. It is available under either the GNU GPL Affero license or licensed for commercial use from Artifex Software, Inc.

Dependent on your operating system you must select the 32Bit- or the 64Bit- version!

To write PDF files with IrfanView it's necessary to install the ImPDF plugin!
    Then IrfanView is able to write the PDF format!

see:

The downloads of the Postscript and ImPDF plugin you find on IrfanView Plugins site!

regards
    Frank

PS: Some attached screenshots are a little bit older! I've used them from my other (similar) anwsers in the forum!

Comment

format support

Hello Frank.
      It's just as I thought.it's pointless.
      I got the right plugins installed, and directshow turned on,but without Quicktime Player/Alternative it's pointless.
      As far as PDFs...I think it's the same thing.
      I'm leaning towards:Easy PDFReader
      CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers

There definitely should be a "Direct way of playing/opening" these formats in Irfanview. (let's throw in real player formats in there as well.)
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 27.09.2011, 09:27 AM. Reason: Removal of Caps Lock

Comment

Hi surge666666,

IrfanView mainly is not a video player or a pdf reader.
        And IrfanView isn't able to open some formats without some extensions/plugins!
        But IrfanView is able to open these formats using available extensions/plugins!

To open some files without external plugins/programs please use programs like VLC media player or Media Player Classic - Home Cinema for the mp4 format and programs like Foxit Reader, PDF-XChange Viewer or Sumatra PDF for the pdf format. (Its possible without IrfanView!)

PS: And if you have an idea, how it's possible to integrate the direct opening of these two formats in the program (without external plugins/programs), please explain your idea and then send it to the program developer!

regards
        Frank

Comment

format support

hello frank.
          thank you for all your help,& advice!!!
          pretty much all of those programs seem like bloatware to me.i'm going to avoid them.so,i'm going to look for something smaller.
          well,Stefan could just find a small program like Easy PDFReader for example,& integrate it's "striped out code" directly into irfanview.SAME THING COULD BE APPLYED FOR QUICK TIME,& REAL PLAYER FORMATS.
          HERE'S WHERE THE PROBLEMS BEGIN:
          1.stefan may not want to do that,because it would significantly increase the size of irfanview.
          he would have to dump all that code into a couple of dlls.then,waste the time of writing/rewriting the irfanview code for compatibility.
          2.I DON'T THINK POOR OLD STEFAN WOULD LIKE THAT,& PROBABLY WOULD HAVE TO GET SOMEONE TO HELP HIM WITH THAT.
          3.he may not want to use someone's code without permission.this would create serious copyright/legal issues.
          I SHOULD PROBABLY POST THIS IN THE FEAUTURES REQUEST SECTION,SHOULDN'T I!?

Comment

Working...
          X