JPEG Lossless Crop Fails on Automatically Rotated Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded JPEG Lossless Crop Fails on Automatically Rotated Images

The JPEG lossless crop fails when applied to images that have been automatically rotated due to EXIF information. I'm assuming that it does not map the coordinates correctly to the rotated image and so tries to crop an area that does not exist and so it fails.

Affects Irfanview 4.28 and probably 4.30 as well seeing as this is not mentioned in the changelog.

This was reported some time ago here but nothing appears to have changed. As I tried to explain then it is not obvious how to solve the problem.
    My advice is to turn off the Auto-rotate feature if you plan to use lossless operations.

Comment

JPG Lossless Crop Plugin

In this version is a bug relating to JPG lossless crop plugin. You have a Jpg picture which has the EXIF orientation other than "Top left". Now if you made a selection and use the lossless crop, then it crops to a wrong selection.

IrfanView 4.51 64 bit
      IrfanView plugins 4.51 64 bit

Comment

As advised by Mij, turn off the Auto-rotate feature if you plan to use lossless operations.

It is not easy to fix this issue.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I'd like to suggest a fix.

Upon "JPG Crop error: Internal error", if EXIF orientation data available, provide 2 buttons:

Cancel - doing what "OK" does now.
          OK - as the error message would explain, "Losslessly auto-rotate according to EXIF orientation" so the user could reselect the crop area and retry without manually switching settings just for this one picture.

-OR-

Like "Always on top" toggle, add a "JPG Lossles Auto-rotate" toggle in the menu for the plugin to do it automatically to the file whenever a rotated image is loaded. I'd love that even if it would very slightly slow down loading each picture the very first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
            I'd like to suggest a fix.

Upon "JPG Crop error: Internal error", if EXIF orientation data available, provide 2 buttons:

Cancel - doing what "OK" does now.
            OK - as the error message would explain, "Losslessly auto-rotate according to EXIF orientation" so the user could reselect the crop area and retry without manually switching settings just for this one picture.

-OR-

Like "Always on top" toggle, add a "JPG Lossles Auto-rotate" toggle in the menu for the plugin to do it automatically to the file whenever a rotated image is loaded. I'd love that even if it would very slightly slow down loading each picture the very first time.
            I agree, that would be really useful.

Using V4.54 32 bit version on Win 10.

I too have weird issues with lossless rotation on images where the EXIF data says the image is rotated. Even with auto-rotate turned off in Irfanview, If I have an image which has been taken 90 deg rotated clockwise, so needing a 270 deg rotation, the 270 deg rotation rotates it 180 deg. By accident I found that rotating it twice by 180 deg brings the image correct, ie it applies a 180 deg then a 90 deg cw rotation ???

Comment

I'm using the Lossless JPEG transformation (Shift+J). I let my JPEGs automatically rotate. The files are rearranged accordingly and the rotation tags are reset. I don't like the rotation tags, I prefer the actual image data being rotated. So after the transformation, there shouldn't be any more problems with rotation.
              My system: IrfanView 4.62 64bit, Windows 10 22H2, Intel Core i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB

Comment

Working...
              X