This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported IrfanView Freezes on Saving Images

I'm actually having a similar problem - thought I'd post it here instead of cluttering up the board with a whole new thread.

Similar symptoms as in Theo's case - IView locks up when trying to save after editing a picture. Anyway, in my case, I'm not sure it's related to Unicode characters - this happens regardless of whether the image is buried deep within several folders, or something as simple as C:\Temp. Turning the Unicode plugin on and off hasn't had any effect, either. And it happens with JPG and PNG alike. Also, it seems almost random - sometimes the save happens without a hitch, other times I get a freeze. The one thing I have noticed is that it seems to get more frequent the more heavily the image is edited in one go. Memory handling issue, perhaps?

I'm running IrfanView 4.30 on Win7, if that's any clue.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Since this is nothing to do with a crash on using the Unicode plugin, I have moved it to a new thread.

IrfanView only saves one action in the Undo history, so no matter how many edits you perform its not going to use any more memory. The undo can be disabled in Properties, Viewing/Editing.

How big is the image in pixels? How are you editing it? Are you using IrfanPaint, applying Effects, or doing something else?
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

IrfanPaint - usually something as simple as slapping on some text or doing some erasing.

It seems to happen more often with larger images, 1000x1000 and above, but it's sometimes happened with much smaller ones, too.

Disabling Undo seems to have solved the problem, or at least lessened it enough that it didn't pop up during ~5-10 minutes of continuous testing.

Comment

1,000 x 1,000 pixels is not a large image. 10,000 x 10,000 pixels is a large image and might be expected to cause problems. I rarely edit images bigger than 5,000 x 5,000 pixels, but have never encountered problems saving such images on my 1 Gbyte system.
        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 24.10.2011, 01:11 PM.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Well, OK, relatively larger. The point is, there seems to be at least some correlation between image size and freeze frequency.

Also, I did a bit more testing, and it definitely appears to have something to do with the Undo function - turning it off does solve the problem, as far as I've noticed. The moment I turned it back on, bam. Another freeze.

PNG transparency could also be a factor, that seems to increase the lock-up frequency too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention previously, this glitch has happened on two separate computers so far, both running Win7. I haven't tested it on any others yet, but I might if I can get access.

Comment

This appears to be the same problem I am having as reported here: Irfanview frequently hangs when using Paint addon at http://irfanview-forum.de/showthread...ng-Paint-addon. Typically, when saving an image after using Paint, IrfanView freezes on about one half of the occasions.

I get the freeze with small images, less than 1000 x 1000. I sometimes wonder if "Save" causes it more than "Save As", and if zooming out immediately prior to saving reduces the frequency of freezes.

I am running a completely standard Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit on an HP dual core.

Comment

I had this problem until recently, but after updating to the latest IV version (4.32) I haven't seen it yet.
              J.A.G.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A.G. View Post
                I had this problem until recently, but after updating to the latest IV version (4.32) I haven't seen it yet.
                Jag. Thanks. I hadn't spotted I was using 4.30. I have just updated to 4.32, rebooted, and I still have the problem.

1 Open fred.PNG, where this is 816 x 829 x 24bit, with 1823 unique colours. I will upload it if possible.
                2 F12 paint, change the colour of the paintbrush to white, make a few paints with an 8 pixel wide brush.
                3 While leaving the cursor as "brush", click on the "diskette" Save icon in IV. The first time it saves perfectly OK.
                4 Shut IV. Doubleclick on fred.PNG to open it. F12 to open Paint. Change the colour of the paintbrush to white, make a few paints with an 8 pixel wide brush
                5 While leaving the cursor as "brush", click on the "diskette" Save icon in IV. IV and Paint both hang - IV Titlebar says Not Responding, so does TaskManager.

Repeating it, it fails about half the times I try to save it.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thread deadlock in IrfanView or Paint causes IrfanView to freeze/hang

It appears to be a thread deadlock and not a memory leak.

I opened TaskManager, selected Performance tab and clicked on Resource Monitor. I selected CPU and found i_view32.exe was not running. When I clicked it, I got the Analyse Wait Chain message below saying that i_view32.exe was in deadlock.

Is this likely to be a problem in i_view32.exe? or in Paint.DLL? Wichever it is, I presume it should be easier to debug than a memory leak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV Wait.png
Views:	2
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	80675

Comment

I am encountering this issue (UC 2 below) already for some time, but only on a 64bit Win7 Enterprise system, I just updated to V4.51 32bit and it remains the same, 100% reproducible. Researching a bit I found the following use cases, always starting with IrfanView not running:
                    1)
                    - open any file format
                    - immediate "save as" displays the correct dialog and it is possible to save under a new file/folder name
                    2)
                    - open any file format
                    - show paint dialog and e.g. just draw a circle (focus is first on Paint and then - after drawing - on IrfanView)
                    - "save as" freezes IrfanView ("... does not respond"), only remedy is to forcibly close the application (losing the edits)
                    3)
                    - open any file format
                    - show paint dialog and e.g. draw a circle (focus is first on Paint and after drawing on IrfanView)
                    - click on Paint dialog
                    - click on IrfanView
                    - "save as" works as expected!
                    UC 3 is a workaround which I found only now.
                    The problem does not occur on a Win8.1 system with latest IrfanView (in fact it never occurred, not even with older versions, same with other older Windows systems, all via FC/W).
                    EDIT: UC 3 DOES NOT (always) work. The problem appears to occur if I start IrfanView via File Commander/W 2.40 (no specific file associations configured), no prob when started via desktop or Start menu. Info: Trying to save MS Office files under a new name which were opened via FC/W also fails, but the application does not freeze. Maybe FC/W has a problem if a new file is to be created...
                    Cheers
                    -hg
                    Last edited by drummer1154; 30.10.2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I cannot reproduce the crash using your recipe. There clearly is a bug that affects some users, but after all these years it is not fixed.

If it affects you, use another editor is all I can suggest.

If that does not satisfy you, read the sticky thread on reporting bugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X