How to get back old cut-paste behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get back old cut-paste behavior?

Hey, I just did an upgrade (via clean install) of my OS, and so of course I re-downloaded IrfanView. I don't remember what version I had before, but one behavior from the old one that I really liked but can't figure out how to make the new one do it is how it handles cut+paste. It used to be, I could draw a box around something, CTRL-X, CTRL-V, and when I hit CTRL-V, it would create a new image consisting of only that section. I realize that this is functionally the same as CTRL-Y, but...old habits, yanno? Just wondered if there might be a way to get it back to that old behavior.

I've tried to reproduce the behaviour you describe in both current Irfanview and Irfanview 3.98 (2005), but could not find any options/settings that result in CTRL-V replacing the current image. I think it might be related to the selection frame being retained after pressing CTRL-C, but as I say, it didn't work that way in 2005. - So perhaps you had a very old version of Irfanview? or else I just didn't find a way to do it.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Click outside the selection first. Then paste (Ctrl V).
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Oditogre View Post
        It used to be, I could draw a box around something, CTRL-X, CTRL-V, and when I hit CTRL-V, it would create a new image consisting of only that section. I realize that this is functionally the same as CTRL-Y, but...old habits, yanno? Just wondered if there might be a way to get it back to that old behavior.
        Why use Ctrl-X (Cut)? That way you have changed the image so you will get a message asking if you want to save it when you try to Paste. Use CTRL-C (copy) instead of Ctrl-X and you will not.
        At the request of users the selection now remains displayed after a Copy or Cut action so, as Bhikkhu says, you must click on the image outside of the selection for it to be deselected. Otherwise you will just paste back in the same place.
        By the way, it is not functionally equivalent to CTRL-Y. Your method creates a new image and the name (and Exif data, etc.) of the original will be lost. CTRL-Y retains the identity of the original image.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          Why use Ctrl-X (Cut)? That way you have changed the image so you will get a message asking if you want to save it when you try to Paste. Use CTRL-C (copy) instead of Ctrl-X and you will not.
          As I say, that may be what it does now, but that's not what it used to do, at least on my install. For what it's worth, that old install was on 32-bit Vista, so maybe just another Vista quirk for all I know. But I would hit CTRL-X, then CTRL-V, and it would just paste the clipboard into a new image exactly it's size while closing the original without making any changes or asking you to confirm. It behaved exactly as CTRL-Y does in the current version.

Comment

Working...
          X