X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with batch-mode conversion of file-size changes

Hi,

what am I missing when encountering the following problem:

I want to make my mp3-collection 'tag-proof'. The collection is in a file-system

composers alphabetical
    ----composer
    --------composer-opus

In each composer-opus subdir is one file cover.jpg (there may also be cover2.jpg etc) and two or more mp3-files

What I want to do is: change the size of cover.jpg over all subdirs composer-opus (700+ composers, 1 to many subdirs composer-opus each) and to overwrite the original cover.jpg with the changed one (smaller size) in each composer-opus subdir. They will later be integrated into the mp3-files by mp3tag (that works fine, I checked)

I start batch-mode, select include subdirectories and select 'cover.jpg' and 'save to original subdirectory' (and disregard all files like 'cover2.jpg' or whatever, only 'cover.jpg' should be converted)

The problem I encounter is:
    1. The converted files are not saved in each directory, but in the directory listed in the selection-box - although I checked 'convert in subdirectories' and 'overwrite existing files' (of course composer\Beethoven\Symphony_6\cover.jpg should be converted and overwrite the existing file in this subdir)
    2. Also other images than cover.jpg (like cover2.jpg) are converted
    3. Even files integrated in mp3-files are converted (like AlbumArt_{3EE16609-A464-43BB-9EDB-783C27BE2381}_Small(2).jpg)

I love irfanview, use it for many years and are not even interested in other similar programs - how can it solve my problem ?

Thanks for any help, Bernd.
    Last edited by vorticity; 13.11.2011, 05:35 PM.

Two Irfanview features that you need to know about.

First use Search files from the File menu of the Irfanview main window to locate your cover.jpg files. Just search for cover.jpg in your composers folder (with Search subfolders selected) then press Start search. When you have the full list choose Show in Thumbnails. You do not need to wait until all the Thumbnails are shown. As soon as they start to be displayed, you can click on Stop in the Thumbnails menu. Select All (Ctrl+A) which will select empty thumbnail outlines as well as those where the image is displayed. Then right click on a thumbnail and choose Start batch dialog with selected files from the drop down menu. You should now have the full list of the files you want to convert in the batch dialog window.

The second feature you need is to check the box Create subfolders in destination folder in the Miscellaneous section of the Advanced options. That recreates the full original path name for each file conversion. It will not actually recreate the subfolders if they already exist. So you can leave Output directory for result files completely blank in the batch dialog and the feature will fill in the full required path for each file that it converts.

That should sort things out but let us know if you still have problems.

Comment

Working...
    X