Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Customize IrfanView more like Windows Photo Viewer.

IV Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    It is not a bug though, gau. That is the way it is designed to work. Irfanview does not support layers so it cannot display true transparency. If you select the Show transparent color option for PNG images in the Viewing tab of Properties then all that happens when you open your PNG is that the color that is tagged as being transparent is replaced by the current Irfanview background color so that it simulates looking through a transparent area at the background. The background color becomes part of the displayed bitmap image though. It is not really transparent.

So if you change the background color while the image is open the simulated transparent area does not change, as you have seen. You must open the PNG again for a new background color to become part of the displayed image.

Personally I always leave that option in the Viewing tab unchecked and the same for the Show transparency in non-animated GIFs option in the JPG/PCD/GIF tab. That way the transparent color tag in the file is ignored and you see the original color that was last saved in that area. It does not then usually suffer from the problem you have.
    I believe you are confusing "not a bug" with "it is inconvenient to fix this." Given the program description you provided, the correct operation of the program would be if the user is asking for transparency, and he changes the background color, then the program should notice this and reload and process the image with the new background color.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

No confusion, apb, just a different definition of bug. Mine is how I think the forum moderators want it to be defined for putting into the Bug report area rather than this one or Support.

The complaint earlier in this thread appears to be that if transparency is selected you cannot see where the edge of the image lies. By changing the background color you can. If it worked as you want it to, you would still not be able to see the edges.
    Irfanview can support many different input formats because they are all converted into the standard Windows Device Independent Bitmap form to be displayed and/or edited. That allows third party programmers to submit plug-ins for less common formats. So I suspect that moving to a common bitmap format that supports alpha transparency would be a major step.

I myself believe that what most users would like is a feature that allows transparency to be viewed in a more useful way, such as being able to display another image through the transparent zones rather than just a plain background color, and that should be the thrust of what we are requesting rather than tinkering with the sort of minor issues that you describe. It would probably have to be part of an "Edit" operation such as Paste though after the image has been opened.

IV Amateur
    Version
    IrfanView 4.50
    OS
    64-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    "If it worked as you want it to, you would still not be able to see the edges."
    Just wanted to clarify that when I wanted to see the "colors of the borders of the images" I didn't meant the limits of the image itself but the border colors on the image (the part you can see), otherwise you'd be correct saying "you would still not be able to see the edges.".

I asked for the feature because many times when editing files with transparency and viewing the image with a White backgroung the border of the image looks ok (the part with colors) but then after seeing the image in a Black background you'll notice that the borders are not as smooth as you tought, what I do normally is to add a drop shadow and test the image with different background colors to blend the colors better so I tought it would be nice to have a feature to ease that process.

I know Irfan already knows about all the "transparency" concerns and it would probably not be convenient for IV to do such a big change in the code.

Not to debate more or anything, just clarifying what I wanted.
    Last edited by gau; 05.01.2012 at 05:31 AM.

Version
    IrfanView 4.32
    OS
    32-bit Win XP Pro SP3

I absolutely agree — re-rendering any image with transparency when the background colour changes would be very nice … and I agree that being able o easily change the background colour would be nice too …

Thread Information