Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customize IrfanView more like Windows Photo Viewer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Customize IrfanView more like Windows Photo Viewer.

Add an option to center the image inside the viewer.

Also it would be nice to be able to change the viewer background color (more easily) to white, grey, black or any other color when viewing transparent PNGs (or other transparent formats) so we can check the colors of the borders of the images, maybe even with a button to automatically switch the colors.
    Last edited by gau; 23.11.2011, 06:49 AM.

Originally posted by gau View Post
    Add an option to center the image inside the viewer.`
    View menu, Display options.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Whoa thanks, I missed that one

Now if the background could be changed like that it would be great, maybe a preview window with black, grey and white backgrounds.
      Last edited by gau; 06.12.2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Options -> Property Settings -> Viewing -> Main Window Color

Comment

Originally posted by cwb3106 View Post
          Options -> Property Settings -> Viewing -> Main Window Color
          Yes thanks I already know that option, the problem with that setting is that you have to go into options everytime you want to change the background color, if for example you want to test your image with three different colors (white, gray and black) you have to go into options three times to change the color, additionally the color won't change right away (transparent formats like PNG) but you have to change the image to the next one and go back to see the changes applied to the transparency.

When working with multiple files this could be a tedious task.

Comment

The last selected Tab remains selected in the Options dialog, so you only have to press P and the dialog you need reappears, and after selecting a new background color and pressing OK to close the dialog, the color changes immediately. You do not have to change the image.

Comment

Good tip about pressing p but the problem is with PNG files (maybe others too) with transparency, the color of the background indeed changes except for the transparency part of the image, for that you have to change the image and go back (or refresh the image using other method).

Comment

I thought that the whole idea of the request was to change the background to a different color to the transparency so that you could see the edges of the image.

Comment

Yeah sorry, maybe I should post this "PNG transparency" thing as a bug report.

But still just suggest a fast background color change feature.

I guess that's all.

THX.

Comment

Originally posted by gau View Post
                    Yeah sorry, maybe I should post this "PNG transparency" thing as a bug report.
                    It is not a bug though, gau. That is the way it is designed to work. Irfanview does not support layers so it cannot display true transparency. If you select the Show transparent color option for PNG images in the Viewing tab of Properties then all that happens when you open your PNG is that the color that is tagged as being transparent is replaced by the current Irfanview background color so that it simulates looking through a transparent area at the background. The background color becomes part of the displayed bitmap image though. It is not really transparent.

So if you change the background color while the image is open the simulated transparent area does not change, as you have seen. You must open the PNG again for a new background color to become part of the displayed image.

Personally I always leave that option in the Viewing tab unchecked and the same for the Show transparency in non-animated GIFs option in the JPG/PCD/GIF tab. That way the transparent color tag in the file is ignored and you see the original color that was last saved in that area. It does not then usually suffer from the problem you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                      It is not a bug though, gau. That is the way it is designed to work. Irfanview does not support layers so it cannot display true transparency. If you select the Show transparent color option for PNG images in the Viewing tab of Properties then all that happens when you open your PNG is that the color that is tagged as being transparent is replaced by the current Irfanview background color so that it simulates looking through a transparent area at the background. The background color becomes part of the displayed bitmap image though. It is not really transparent.

So if you change the background color while the image is open the simulated transparent area does not change, as you have seen. You must open the PNG again for a new background color to become part of the displayed image.

Personally I always leave that option in the Viewing tab unchecked and the same for the Show transparency in non-animated GIFs option in the JPG/PCD/GIF tab. That way the transparent color tag in the file is ignored and you see the original color that was last saved in that area. It does not then usually suffer from the problem you have.
                      I believe you are confusing "not a bug" with "it is inconvenient to fix this." Given the program description you provided, the correct operation of the program would be if the user is asking for transparency, and he changes the background color, then the program should notice this and reload and process the image with the new background color.

Comment

No confusion, apb, just a different definition of bug. Mine is how I think the forum moderators want it to be defined for putting into the Bug report area rather than this one or Support.

The complaint earlier in this thread appears to be that if transparency is selected you cannot see where the edge of the image lies. By changing the background color you can. If it worked as you want it to, you would still not be able to see the edges.
                        Irfanview can support many different input formats because they are all converted into the standard Windows Device Independent Bitmap form to be displayed and/or edited. That allows third party programmers to submit plug-ins for less common formats. So I suspect that moving to a common bitmap format that supports alpha transparency would be a major step.

I myself believe that what most users would like is a feature that allows transparency to be viewed in a more useful way, such as being able to display another image through the transparent zones rather than just a plain background color, and that should be the thrust of what we are requesting rather than tinkering with the sort of minor issues that you describe. It would probably have to be part of an "Edit" operation such as Paste though after the image has been opened.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
                          "If it worked as you want it to, you would still not be able to see the edges."
                          Just wanted to clarify that when I wanted to see the "colors of the borders of the images" I didn't meant the limits of the image itself but the border colors on the image (the part you can see), otherwise you'd be correct saying "you would still not be able to see the edges.".

I asked for the feature because many times when editing files with transparency and viewing the image with a White backgroung the border of the image looks ok (the part with colors) but then after seeing the image in a Black background you'll notice that the borders are not as smooth as you tought, what I do normally is to add a drop shadow and test the image with different background colors to blend the colors better so I tought it would be nice to have a feature to ease that process.

I know Irfan already knows about all the "transparency" concerns and it would probably not be convenient for IV to do such a big change in the code.

Not to debate more or anything, just clarifying what I wanted.
                          Last edited by gau; 05.01.2012, 05:31 AM.

Comment

I absolutely agree — re-rendering any image with transparency when the background colour changes would be very nice … and I agree that being able o easily change the background colour would be nice too …

Comment

Working...
                            X