Jarte 3.0 - A Wordpad Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jarte 3.0 - A Wordpad Replacement

Check out My Review of this neat rich text editor. I use it for editing XML files, plain text INI files, and Rich Text files, RTF. It will also open DOC and DOCX files.

Fast to load, it will run from a USB drive — there is even a special version for USB 3.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

This looks very promising indeed. I will check it out.

I already use EditPad as alternative for Notepad, but I think this is more an alternative for Wordpad.
    And opening DOC files without a huge app would be nice.

Edit. DOC reading functions indeed. Great. This releases me of the 224 MB of OpenOffice just to be able to read such a file.
    It has the ability to choose a windoze font, but so far I havn't been able to find a way to save that setting for the next session.
    This is a drawback, otherwise I would make this my new default ascii editor for .txt and .ini files
    Last edited by Sam_Zen; 20.10.2007, 08:38 AM.
    Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

It has the ability to choose a windoze font, but so far I havn't been able to find a way to save that setting for the next session. This is a drawback, otherwise I would make this my new default ascii editor for .txt and .ini files
      Open the Fonts Panel, and click on the cog-wheels icons (options) to set the default font for both RTF and TXT files.

I presume that DOC files open with whatever fonts were used in them.
      Attached Files
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Thanks. I still have to get used to the navigation.
        Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Does it support very complex Word documents: (nested) tables, inline/overlaid pictures, vertical text? If not then it's not really a replacement for the good old Word 2000 that takes up only about 40 MB installed.

Comment

As said, it has not the pretention to replace Word, but WordPad. So I guess it's limited.
            Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Disk space is not much of an issue these day. Jarte takes only 9.6 Mbytes, but 40 or 100 Mbytes would not be a problem. What is important when you're opening and closing programs many times a day, is loading time. That is one reason why I prefer Irfan View to FastStone Viewer. The other reason, of course, is just familiarity.

I suspect that Word 2000 also loads very fast. I would be surprised if it takes more the 5 seconds. Wordpad loads almost instantly — about 1 second. Jarte is a little slower at about 3 seconds. Jarte is also free, whereas Word 2000 is not, though it is available at a very modest price. I would rather use OpenOffice if I need more than a basic text editor, but that takes 15 or 20 seconds to load.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Zen
                And opening DOC files without a huge app would be nice.

Edit. DOC reading functions indeed. Great.
                How much of Word data and which versions does it support? IIRC old Wordpad in Win98, for example, read Word 95 files only.

Used space is most often proportional to the time it takes for the program to start. About Word 2000 I would say that it's officially not available at all. M$ wants you to always use the most current releases, which are often bloated and encumbered with anti piracy measures. I find it deeply wrong to bury perfectly usable software only because of a license.

Word 2k loads very quickly, comparable to other pieces of software of that time: Sound Forge 6, Sonic Foundry Vegas 2, Paint Shop Pro 7. It's hard to measure in seconds because it depends on what was done on the computer before. If Word was launched less than half an hour ago it will still be in cache and open virtually instantly.

Comment

I still have to care more about disk space than load speed.
                  I don't know about the Word version of the .doc files people have send to me recently.
                  As long a I can read them correctly, it's ok by me.
                  Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

For Wordpad replacement I prefer the much lighter CopyWriter. Wordpad is not so bad itself, but it has MS attitude. I can do without that for reading plain vanilla RTF files. I tried Jarte a few years ago, and I found the frosting on the GUI a bit thick for my taste. I'm not very interested it giving it another look. Nowadays I just put up with Word for the fancy stuff. Or I take a vacation in Linux and use Open Office
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I've decided to give it a try as my default txt and html editor, instead of EditPad. So changed associations. Some small drawbacks so far :
                      ~ Can't seem to save some tool-settings after close, like wrap. It opens with a default again.
                      ~ A mouseover on the File button in the top menu causes a popup at the left with the options. But after an action is executed, the dialog stays there. Has to be closed with F11.
                      ~ The help-file is only to be found on-line.
                      ~ It has quite a non-descript icon if as small as in a file manager.
                      The latter two I will enhance for personal use.
                      Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                        ~ Can't seem to save some tool-settings after close, like wrap. It opens with a default again.
                        That one is fairly easy to find. See attachment.
                        A mouseover on the File button in the top menu causes a popup at the left with the options. But after an action is executed, the dialog stays there. Has to be closed with F11.
                        Yes. This bugs me too. I suggested to the author long ago that mouse over the left of the screen should open the panels, and the panel buttons should move to the top of the panel. Then the main toolbar only needs to be one icon high.
                        The help-file is only to be found on-line.
                        Edit: I contacted the author. Here is a compiled help file for Jarte. If you install it in the Jarte directory it will be used instead of online help.
                        It has quite a non-descript icon if as small as in a file manager.
                        Just eye-candy, but the whole GUI would benefit from a graphic designer's input. This is one thing that nearly everyone complains about.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 23.10.2007, 02:51 PM. Reason: Add link to help file

Comment

Thanks for the tip and the compiled help file.
                          The GUI could need some improvement indeed. As you mentioned, a main toolbar only one icon high.

Edit : Another (also eye candy) drawback :
                          The title bar of the app just shows 'Jarte' all the time. No actual filename.
                          Last edited by Sam_Zen; 24.10.2007, 03:30 AM.
                          Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Zen View Post
                            The title bar of the app just shows 'Jarte' all the time. No actual filename.
                            If you hide the tabs, the file name shows in the Windows Title Bar.

Comment

I see.

Detected maybe some buggy behaviour in terms of memory management. Leakage?
                              For the second time I was confronted with a system warning about lack of virtual memory.
                              While I was just working with 4 or 5 opened simple small txt-files.
                              Since I use a swapfile of >400 MB, this warning should be nonsense.
                              Rest In Peace, Sam!

Comment

Working...
                              X