Copying EXIF data to other files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested Copying EXIF data to other files

I did a couple of a searches but didn't see this specific request, so here goes:

I would appreciate the ability to copy EXIF data between files. Most simply executed, I imagine something like this:

1. Open the source image, press "E" to bring up the EXIF data, and press "Copy to clipboard" or "Export to file."
    2. Open the new image and press "I" to bring up the image data window.
    3. Press the "Paste EXIF data from clipboard" or "Import EXIF data from file" button.

I edit photos a lot in an older version of Photoshop that doesn't save EXIF info and so my edited copies have no EXIF info and I've been trying to find a convenient way to copy the EXIF info over. Surprisingly, it's been difficult to do this and so I thought that it would great if IrfanView could handle this directly.

Thank you for your time, everyone.

If your photos are all the same size and shape you can copy the image using the clipboard as follows.
    1. Open Photo 1 that has no EXIF
    2. Copy the image to the clipboard by pressing Ctrl+C
    3. Open Photo 2 that does have EXIF data
    4. Select the whole image by pressing Ctrl+A
    5. Paste from the clipboard into the selection by pressing Ctrl+V
    6. Save As "Photo 1" again or whatever you want to name it.

Your Photo 1 now contains a copy of the EXIF data from Photo 2. It will be all the Photo 2 data of course. Some of it will almost certainly not be correct for Photo 1, but I assume you realized that.

If you want to copy the Photo 2 EXIF to a lot of pictures you will find it easier to keep it open in one copy of Irfanview and open a second copy of Irfanview to do all the copying to clipboard.

Comment

Hi,

IrfanView is also not the best solution for this. Have a look at the ExifTool. I haven't used this tool very much yet, but I thing it may do exactly what you want.

If you have problems using command lines or creating a DOS script fell free to contact me.

Regards
      Nils

Comment

Mij, thank you for the excellent workaround. I tried it at home last night and, indeed, it worked as advertised. That's very nice to know. I'm mainly concerned about copying over the date and time information, and this fits the bill perfectly.

Derniwi, thanks for the pointer and the offer. I'll check it out and let you know if I need any assistance. (Since I'm looking to do a straight copy-and-paste operation, I imagine that it shouldn't be all that difficult.) I see there's at least one Windows tool for it as well, which I might look into.

I still think it could be useful to have this sort of EXIF ability in IrfanView, but I also understand if there's not enough demand for it. Ultimately, I can only be happy to have IrfanView as it is, I think.

My thanks again.

Comment

Exifier

The best solution for this job is Exifier v2.1.5 (build 263)
          You can copy EXIF from one file to another without recompressing the image data
          Imi este indiferent ce cred ceilalti despre mine, caci oricum fiecare crede ce-i convine lui si nu ceea ce e real,
          doar ca mi-ar fi placut sa ma vada asa cum sint de fapt, nu asa cum poate le-ar placea lor sa creada. Ei au ales deja...

··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··
          ·· · ·M· · ·I· · ·D· · ·I· · ·· ·· ·M· · ·A· · ·N· · ·I· · ·A· · ·C· · ·S· · ··
          ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷·· ·· · · · ·· ··÷¦÷··

Comment

Thank you very much for the pointer. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X