V4.32: Gimp XCF support not in viewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported V4.32: Gimp XCF support not in viewer

Gimp .xcf opens in Irfanview (4.32) but doesn't show in Thumbnails viewer.

This should work. Maybe check if XCF has been added to all options.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I'm not sure I follow what you mean, "Maybe check if XCF has been added to all options"?

I uninstalled and reinstalled Irfanview (iview432_setup.exe) and all plugins (irfanview_plugins_432_setup.exe). Tried opening a Gimp *.xcf file with the following error.

Decode Error!
      Can't load plugin: "imxcf.dll"
      Please install or update plugins

I rebooted and Irfanview will open a *.xcf but at the wrong size. eg., 1536x1024 file at 256x170. I have *.jpg and *.psd versions of the same file and they open properly so I don't think it's my view menu options (Shift+O) that are causing this. I checked file associations and *.xcf is not listed. The second problem is if I use the Thumbnail viewer *.xcf files do not show up.

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2

Comment

Check that "XCF" ist part of the 'Settings/Extensions/Load custom file tpes' list. It is part of the default extensions but if you are reusing an existing ini file it will not be added automatically (same for "PDN" extension).

Maybe this solves your size issue too. If height or width is 256 it may be that Irfanview asks the plugin to generate the thumbnail and not the composite image in full size.

Comment

Here is a part of the list, |VOB|MPO|PDN|XCF|WEBP|WEBM|
          Is there a ini file I should edit or replace?

Comment

It will be saved to the default ini file. So after adding and activating of the list you should restart Irfanview.
            If this does not help then I do not know what to do else.

Comment

I loaded default extensions, re-started Irfanview with the same result as above. Re-booted Vista, no change. The Thumbnail viewer will not show xcf files either. A few people I know at Gimp Chat forum have Irfanview, I will check there if anyone else is having issues. I will report back with any news.

Thank you for your help and great work!

Comment

I checked with a few people at Gimp Chat and they have no problems. I got it working, sort off. I open an xcf it loads small, I hit spacebar, backspace and all is well. I can live with that. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I did some experiments opening xcf files. If I drag and drop into Irfranview, the file opens OK. If I open an xcf from the Thumbnail view, the file opens OK. If I use File open in Irfranview, xcf file opens very small. If I uncheck "Preview active" in the File open dialog, xcf file opens properly.

This was only a problem with *.xcf files, all other formats work normally (v4.32).
                  Last edited by Odinbc; 21.12.2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Odinbc View Post
                    I did some experiments opening xcf files. If I drag and drop into Irfranview, the file opens OK. If I open an xcf from the Thumbnail view, the file opens OK. If I use File open in Irfranview, xcf file opens very small. If I uncheck "Preview active" in the File open dialog, xcf file opens properly.

This was only a problem with *.xcf files, all other formats work normally (v4.32).
                    Means thumbnail view is now working for you, fine.
                    Maybe you should try to remove the current ini file and check if this helps for the remaining issue.

Irfanview handles .xcf and .pdn as multipage format images, First page shows the composite and the other pages the layers. So this is a little bit special than other formats.

As I told in an other thread: To show the transparency of composite or layers using a checkerboard background you have to set ini variables.

Comment

Working...
                    X