Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Checkerboard Background for Transparent Images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Checkerboard Background for Transparent Images?

I'm actually quite surprised but I can't find a way to set the background to a checkerboard pattern for transparent images similarly to how Adobe Photoshop and other editing programs display transparencies.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

You're not missing anything. The Windows clipboard format used by IrfanView doesn't support 32-bit transparency. Although you can edit images in IrfanView, its an image viewer, not an editor. Transparency will use the main window colour (deflaut black).

Transparent PNG images will be saved as 24-bit PNG with single colour transparency.

There is a check-box on the PNG save dialogue to save transparency as alpha channel. I find that this gives unpredictable results.

Use PhotoPlus or another photo-editor to work with 32-bit images.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 26.12.2011, 07:10 AM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      You're not missing anything. The Windows clipboard format used by IrfanView doesn't support 32-bit transparency. Although you can edit images in IrfanView, its an image viewer, not an editor. Transparency will use the main window colour (deflaut black).

Transparent PNG images will be saved as 24-bit PNG with single colour transparency.

There is a check-box on the PNG save dialogue to save transparency as alpha channel. I find that this gives unpredictable results.

Use PhotoPlus or another photo-editor to work with 32-bit images.
      That's really too bad. I would never use this to edit images that have the alpha channel transparency, however, it would be nice to know which images have transparency when I open them with Irfanview by seeing a checkerboard background. With the black background, I'm not sure if the image has a black background or it's transparent and Irfanview is just displaying it with a black background, right?

Comment

For that reason, I often use a more unusual colour like magenta for the main window colour. There's also much less chance when saving transparent 24-bit PNG that magenta will be used in the image itself than white or black.

After changing the main window colour, use "Reopen" from the file menu.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

No chance this will ever be updated is there? I mean at minimum couldn't there be an option for "checkerboard pattern" with custom colors instead of just one solid color?

Comment

Unlikely, is my guess. I have been using IrfanView for so many years...

Now that you mention it though, Yes, it would be a nice option...!
            --- Push the Envelope... lest it push you out!! ---

Comment

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan 20/6/2016
              For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crahes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to Unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.
              Layers are nice, for some users, but later.
              AFAIK, for proper transparency support, layers would be needed.

Comment

I made a suggestion some years back in this thread that the "Background for cut" color might be used as the underlay of a transparent image instead of the Main window color.

No, it is not proper transparency support but would enable the users who just want to make their transparent images stand out a bit more to use a distinctive background color for the transparency while still keeping a calmer color as the surround for the images. Those who want to keep the present appearance can just set the cut color to be the same as the main window.

The dialog for setting the cut color already exists so it saves some of the work needed to implement it and perhaps, when he has time Irfan could add a tick box for "Checkerbox" alongside the cut color selection to give the option of a pattern with alternating Cut and Main window color squares.

Comment

Working...
                X