Porting to Linux or MacOS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpinx View Post
    Would IrfanView make it's source-code available?
    You would have to contact irfan directly about that if you have a serious intent to port it to Linux. This is just a support forum by users for users.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      You would have to contact irfan directly about that if you have a serious intent to port it to Linux. This is just a support forum by users for users.
      Thanks for your quick response. How to speak to them directly?

Ah- hang on - it might be a moot point as v3.99 works in wine. I'm not sure what you did to IV after that, but it doesn't run in wine well, if at all.

For all linux users - install the latest wine and go to http://www.oldversion.com/IrfanView.html and grab v 3.99 - there are 2 - I chose the 0.9MB one and it works. Hope this helps and I don't annoy the guys at IV.
      Last edited by jpinx; 21.02.2009, 10:23 PM.

Comment

How to speak to them directly?
        You can find the email address in program menu of IrfanView in: \Help\About IrfanView\!

Comment

mac???

i did a search and can't find out if irfanview works with mac os x version 10.5.7? thanks!

Comment

Nope. That's why I don't want a Mac
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
              Nope. That's why I don't want a Mac
              thanks! they're not all bad, LOL.

Comment

Mac version

I've heard that there is a version of Irfanview for Macintosh, but I don't see it anywhere. Is there one? If so, where is the download?

Thanks,
                Ted

Comment

No, there is no Mac version, and no plans for one AFAIK.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Linux version

Why there isn't a Linux version? Me as a Linux user would love to use IrfanView in my Ubuntu!

Hello Alfredo,
                    I've moved your post into this thread because this topic already exist!

regards Frank
                    Last edited by Frank; 12.09.2009, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Because IrfanView is written from the ground up using the Windows API (and without any platform-indipendent framework), so porting it to Linux would require a rewrite from scratch.
                      IrfanPaint developer
                      The latest stable IrfanPaint version is the 0.4.13.70.
                      IrfanPaint is now open-source (released under BSD license).

Comment

Port to another platform

Can the devs of Irfanview please port to Linux platform please...

My genuine windows XP install died on me after installing SP3 on the machine, I had no option but to use Ubuntu (Debian) Linux to be able to use my computer.

Since the XP install died, Micro$oft did me a favor and I have not looked back since but for a couple of programs like Irfanview which unfortunately I do not seem to be able to install under WINE in linux.

So my request is for a port of the windows based software in to a linux environment is more of a plea because theirs a chronic shortage of this type of software under linux. The offerings like GIMP leave me pulling my hair and other software thats on offer is more like 3D CAD type rendering stuff.

Something like Irfanview under linux would be a good step towards showing some linux developers on how to write a decent image processing software.

Comment

Since IrfanView is maintained by a single developer I think a Linux port is unlikely. The question is in the FAQ on the main site:

Can I use IrfanView on Linux?, which links to this article IrfanView 4.10 on Linux with Wine

Comment

I have tried installing the program under WINE and it is a no go, the installer shuts down before any install takes place.

So I beg to differ on that advice and why I asked if the program would be ported to that platform.

What is Irfanview written in?

Comment

I'm running it under WINE without installing, just using a side-by-side copy of my Windows install dir with the default toolbar (using IV skins is a no-no in Linux). In Ubuntu it's fine, though for any distro that can't write to NTFS you have to put it in a FAT partition. Have to use the file manager to get to it, but at least it's available.
                              Its: Belongs to "It"
                              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                              ---------------------
                              Lose: Fail to keep
                              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Irfanview and the iMac

Hi. I've used IRFANVIEW for years on my old computer, but have recently got a new iMac, and don't seem to be able to download IRFANVIEW to it. Or at last, when I try, I just get reems of code but no usable program. Any thoughts?

__________________________________________________
                                edit:

Hello 55bloke,
                                I've moved your post into this thread because this topic already exist!

regards Frank
                                Last edited by Frank; 08.11.2009, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X