No announcement yet.

Porting to Linux or MacOS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irfan Skiljan does not visit these forums as far as I know. He has no plans to port IrfanView to Linux or Mac. These are his current priorities (by email):

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
    For the big things on the TODO list: I will first try to fix the Paint plugin crashes (on some systems), then try to port IrfanView to unicode ... they are very important things, important for many users.
    Layers are nice, for some users, but later.
    See the FAQ on IrfanView.com

• Q: Can I use IrfanView on Linux?
      A: Yes. There is no native-Linux version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Linux programs like WINE, Windows Linux emulators and Linux-based virtual machines. Take the ZIP version of IrfanView and unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Linux. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run. See instructions on: IrfanView on Linux with Wine

• Q: Can I use IrfanView on Mac?
      A: Yes, probably. There is no native-Mac version of IrfanView. However, you can use IrfanView in conjunction with Mac program like WineBottler/DARWINE. Take the ZIP version of IrfanViewand unzip it or copy your existing Windows IrfanView folder to Mac. This is easier because the installer may need additional Windows DLLs to run.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.09.2016, 08:07 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      Irfan Skiljan does not visit these forums as far as I know. He has no plans to port IrfanView to Linux or Mac.
      I have been using Irfanview for over a decade and I love it; it is my main graphics program. I am slowly transitioning from Windows XP to Linux Mint and I have managed to run Irfanview with Wine but it is somewhat cumbersome and does not come close to the performance with Windows. You can count me as one more request for Irfanview to run natively on 64 bit Linux. I am sure many of us would be willing to chip in if necessary.

Comment

IrfanView for Mac (OSX)

I have moved from Windows world to Mac about 4 years ago after more than 25 years on Windows and some years with Unix & Linux also.
        IrfanView is one of my favourite apps ever. I would really appreciate it on this platform too.

Comment

I found 2 solutions for this:
          https://davidvielmetter.com/tricks/h...c-winebottler/ - does not worked for me

but this thread's answer is working just fine:
          When I install a .exe application in WineBottler,it shows an error "Prefix creation exited with error" There is the error log: Hardware Overview: Model Name: MacBook Pro Model

Install wine via brew, use a 64bit version of the .exe that you're trying to install, and run the following command:
          wine64 <your_program.exe>

Comment

This feature request has been running since June 2007. I think it is pretty obvious that it is not on Irfan Skiljan's roadmap. If anyone hears anything different, please comment below and I will update the thread status.

Originally posted by MItaly View Post
            Because IrfanView is written from the ground up using the Windows API (and without any platform-independent framework), so porting it to Linux would require a rewrite from scratch.
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.10.2020, 10:47 PM.
            Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I've been successfully using IV on Wine on Ubuntu for some years, but I've now found that when I press "print screen" I can no longer paste into IV. The "Print screen" option is working fine, as I can paste the screenshot into Libre Office and other apps. I suspect the change occurred when I upgraded Ubuntu from 18.04LTS to 20.04LTS.

Comment

Working...
              X