Porting to Linux or MacOS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using IrfanView in Linux (Ubuntu)

I succeeded by combining information from the Wine User Guide: Chapter 4.1 and some very good tips from Tom Wickline and from the Wine Wiki about winetricks.

So here we go:

Download IrfanView + Plugins

Create a directory IrfanView in: /home/user=your-home-directory/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/

Copy both files (iview425_setup.exe and irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe) to: /home/user=your-home-diretory/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/IrfanView

Open a Terminal and give in:

sudo wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks

sh winetricks

# You will get a list: mark “mfc42”
    # For an explanation: see:
    # http://www.wine-reviews.net/applicat...with-wine.html Then continue in your Terminal with:

wine "c:\program files\irfanview\irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe"

wine "c:\program files\irfanview\irfanview_plugins_425_setup.exe"

# Remove both setup files from /home/user=your-home-directory/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program
    # Files/IrfanView

# And surprise, surprise: For the first time since years, my IrfanView works under Linux.
    # The only thing I did not find out is how to tell my Linux system (Ubuntu 9.04), that it should use # IrfanView as the standard programme to open pictures. I have to start IrfanView and then go to # the diretory with my pictures and then it works. Maybe someone can teach me how to tell my
    # system to open pictures always with IrfanView.

Originally posted by netbuddy View Post
    Can the devs of Irfanview please port to Linux platform please...

My genuine windows XP install died on me after installing SP3 on the machine, I had no option but to use Ubuntu (Debian) Linux to be able to use my computer.

Since the XP install died, Micro$oft did me a favor and I have not looked back since but for a couple of programs like Irfanview which unfortunately I do not seem to be able to install under WINE in linux.

So my request is for a port of the windows based software in to a linux environment is more of a plea because theirs a chronic shortage of this type of software under linux. The offerings like GIMP leave me pulling my hair and other software thats on offer is more like 3D CAD type rendering stuff.

Something like Irfanview under linux would be a good step towards showing some linux developers on how to write a decent image processing software.

Comment

Emulate, emulate, emulate -- don't migrate!

Originally posted by 55bloke
      Hi. I've used IRFANVIEW for years on my old computer, but have recently got a new iMac, and don't seem to be able to download IRFANVIEW to it. Or at last, when I try, I just get reems of code but no usable program. Any thoughts?
      If your iMac is an Intel-based Mac, try your XP Install disk in BootCamp or ParallelsMac (the latter is somewhat pricey third-party software, the former is an Apple product for which "snapshot" builds have shipped with OS X versions since OS X 10.4 Tiger-UB, with a more-robust feature-rich version available from the Apple Store or your local AAR). Then install it however the instructions or online tutorials suggest as if it were a Windows app.

Hope this helps. BZT
      There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Linux: XnView MP (or the old "generic" build); Mac OS X: try-out GraphicConverter X

The first is freeware, the second not, but that shouldn't keep people from trying either.

I've used XnView in Mac OS X, Windows and Ubuntu Linux (both Gnome and KDE). I think it compares more than fairly with Irfanview. I'll even go so far as to say in many ways it surpasses irfanView -- far more EXIF/IPTC/XMP support, for example, and in Windows you can use the conventional ActiveX transitions in slideshows. In Mac OS X and Linux, it uses a similar set: what libs it draws upon to do so, I'm not certain.

GraphicConverter -- well, the best way to describe it is to let it describe itself.

Hope this was a little bit informative.

BZT
        There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT

Comment

Hi!

First of all thank you for the great software. Have been using it for several years.
          But now i have switched for mac and terribly missing Irfanview there.

Comment

Hello, I'm posting here to let you know that I recently successfully installed IrfanView 4.27, with plugins and language packs on Wine-1.2.2, on a Linux desktop 2.6.32-31-generic #61-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 8 18:24:35 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux.

I also configured it to run by default using thunar on xfce4, xubuntu 10.04

What I basically did was:

1. Install Wine.
            2. Using winetricks install vcrun6 >winetricks vcrun6
            3. Download and install IrfanView by executing them directly, on the file manager or using >wine /path/to/irfan_installer.exe
            Do not forget to associate IrfanView with the files that you want to open! This is important! If you don’t associate them it will not work!
            4. Do the same for plugins and language packs.
            5. Go to thunar, or I suppose any other file manager will be the same, and choose an image file, go to the "open with" option and add a personal string, it is:
            >wine start /unix %f
            6. Repeat for each filetype you want to open with IrfanView
            7. Enjoy! now you will be able to open images directly with IrfanView
            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 11.10.2020, 06:40 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Comment

Native vs. Wine

Hi all... I realize this is a very old thread but since it's stickied, it seems like it should still be fair game... This is a rather long post, so if you have better things to do, like curling your toenails, please go about it. I won't be offended.

I'm currently running Linux (Kubuntu 12.04) on my laptop. I used to use Windows all the time until my hard drive blew up, but have grown quite fond of Linux since then. But I do dearly miss Irfanview, which I've put on every Windows computer I've ever had access to.

I have been able to install Irfanview successfully on this Linux machine via Wine. It does run, for the most part, but it's no substitute for a native application. Here are just a few reasons why:

* it's VERY slow. Irfanview running natively on Windows is several orders of magnitude faster than Irfanview running under Wine on Linux. Simple transformations, like cropping a picture or adjusting the gamma, used to take a fraction of a second under Windows but take several seconds under Wine. This isn't itself a deal-breaker, but it's a major annoyance.
              * it's less stable. While I appreciate what Wine does, applications running under Wine are rarely as stable as native applications. Wine apps crash periodically for no reason that I can determine. Irfanview under Wine is not immune from this.
              * the Thumbnails window doesn't work correctly. Drives do not show up properly in the folder list - Linux directories have to be mapped to Windows drives in order to show up at all, and then they only show up when Wine's drive mapping service decides to work correctly. Most of the time, the folder tree simply shows nothing - no drives or folders at all.
              * Wine itself has its own problems - on my laptop, it often leaves frustrating graphic artifacts on the screen, both randomly and a few regular ones. These of course interfere with Irfanview's proper displaying of graphic images.
              * it's difficult to set Irfanview (or any Wine application, for that matter) as the default application for opening documents. I've managed to get it to work using shell scripting, but it's kludgey and not something I'd recommend for less knowledgeable users (I'm not exactly a guru).
              * it's *ugly*. Wine apps do not use the standard window icons and do not fit into the display theme. Aesthetically, it ends up looking like a low-res pre-beta of Windows 95. Even XP's windowing theme looks better.

The bottom line is that while Irfanview may work under Wine for some people, Wine is not a substitute for a native version.

I have some ideas what to do about this, which I'll post separately. Thanks for reading this far.

Comment

Ways to deal with open sourcing

If you read my previous post, you know I claimed to have some ideas about open sourcing Irfanview. I do - they may be silly ideas, but they're still ideas that I hope the author will consider.

I do understand that the author has limited time and may not feel like re-inventing the wheel to port Irfanview to Linux. I also understand why he might be reluctant to open the source and make it available for Linux programmers to do the actual porting - that involves losing control over the finished product, possibly even the Windows version itself if programmers take the source and fork it. Nonetheless, I hope he would consider a couple of possibilities:

1) Find a trusted Linux programmer to do the porting and make the source available to him/her alone under some sort of NDA (non-disclosure agreement). There are plenty of closed-source applications for Linux - it's not impossible to do and that way he would retain control of the finished product. Downsides are that the programmer might flake out and fail to produce a finished product, or might violate the NDA and release source.

2) Release the source for an earlier version (say, something from the 3.9x series) and allow an open source project to be developed from that. That way, he would retain control of the latest and greatest versions, while still giving a firm base for the open source community to build a native Linux version that would contain most of the incredible feature set and interface that makes Irfanview so awesome. If he wanted the OSS community to give the resulting project a different name, I'm sure that request would be honored. Downsides for this option are hard to find - losing control of the direction of the open source version would seem to be the worst.

I'm sure there must be other possibilities that I haven't considered. I hope to start some discussion of this, and I'd especially like to see the author jump in and give his thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by beerslayer View Post
                  * it's difficult to set Irfanview (or any Wine application, for that matter) as the default application for opening documents. I've managed to get it to work using shell scripting, but it's kludgey and not something I'd recommend for less knowledgeable users (I'm not exactly a guru).
                  There is a manual in German language: http://www.linuxmintusers.de/index.p...fanView_(WINE)

Comment

Good to see this old thread still kicking up dust. A month ago I abandoned Windows for good in a fit of disgust. My current OS is Debian "Wheezy" with basic Gnome desktop. Total immersion in Linux is, for me, best summed up in one word: Freedom. I'm home at last.

There are only two Windows programs I can't do without, and of course IrfanView is one of them. All I had to do to settle it in was rebuild the 8bf plugin lists; otherwise it's the same portable installation I used for many years in Windwoes, simply copied to a different drive partition. This partition is NTFS, and shared with a virtual Windows that I am forced to run for a few odd jobs. Can't get away from Windows altogether, because I have to use it at work and I bring work home.

I hope to integrate IV into the system a bit more, get it into my context menus at least. So far, just having a handy launcher for it has helped a lot. My priorities are still fuzzy, with so many fascinating distractions and new toys! GIMP is twice as awesome as it was in Winlose, and faster.

I'll try to remember to get back here and post any helpful tips that I come across.
                    Its: Belongs to "It"
                    It's: Shortened form of "It is"
                    ---------------------
                    Lose: Fail to keep
                    Loose: Not tight

---------------------
                    Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

I have used Irfanview on Win XP for years. I love it. But after malware crashed my XP machine I decided to switch to a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.3. I was shocked that there was no Mac version available. I tried the WINE trick, but could not make it work. I suppose my only option is to buy Adobe Photoshop on the Mac?

Comment

Originally posted by jerrylo View Post
                        I have used Irfanview on Win XP for years. I love it. But after malware crashed my XP machine I decided to switch to a MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.3. I was shocked that there was no Mac version available. I tried the WINE trick, but could not make it work. I suppose my only option is to buy Adobe Photoshop on the Mac?
                        I would be very surprised if Adobe Photoshop was the only MAC software that can view images. I guess it depends what your needs are.

You might be interested in joining the Beta Test for Affinity Designer, but that looks more like a Drawing Application, than a bitmap viewer and converter like IrfanView.
                        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Though I can use IrfanView under Parallels on my mac (OSX Lion), I wish that Irfan would publish a native Version for Mac OSX. IrfanView under Paralles is so slow and when I want to use it, first other software has to be started: Parallels has to be started, Total-Commander has to be started (my other favorit and hardly missing tool on OSX) and after that I can use Irfanview. This is so boring. I tried Vorschau, Gimp, PSelements, Picasa, GC and so on - but none of this software is as good and intuitive to use as Irfanview.

Comment

Hi,

unfortunatelly there is no native Mac OS / Unix / Linux version available. Since IrfanView is closed source I think the are only way is using Wine.
                            There is an image viewer in the Mac software shop called "ToyViewer", maybe it is work to have a look at it. I tried it some years ago and it was nice, but it crashed sometimes. I think the bug may fixed now and also the software will be still supported since the last version is update this month. ;-)

Regards
                            Nils

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
                              You might be interested in joining the Beta Test for Affinity Designer, but that looks more like a Drawing Application, than a bitmap viewer and converter like IrfanView.
                              Affinity Designer was released now.

There is currently a Beta Program for Affinity Photo, in case any Mac users are interested in that.
                              Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Spambanjo: I agree with you! For me, IrfanView is the only reason I still have a dual-boot system (Linux Mint 17 Xfce 64-bit plus Windows Vista SP2 Ultimate 32-bit), but one easy way to run it under Linux is simply to run a Windows Virtual Machine with IrfanView and give access (read and write or read-only) to any directory(ies) you want IrfanView to access. And yeah, I dream of the day I will be able to get rid of Windows!

To Irfan: IrfanView is almost perfect - the only time I do not it to edit and manipulate my images is when I need to preserve a transparent background (.png or .ico). So, Irfan, why don't you make IrfanView 100% perfect and add the ability to handle transparencies? Thanks beforehand from one of your biggest fans (and a user of IrfanView since 1998!).

Mike
                                Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 15.09.2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X