Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup Image scrolling FASTER with mouse wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The flickr example was referring to panning without clicking anything, not to zooming with the click

I'm talking about not using a button to pan with the mouse, just moving it... that is really viable, you can see a lot of examples of how to program this on the web nowadays, and you can add an option to swap between pan with LBM/RBM or just moving the mouse.

I think it's pretty simple what I'm trying to say and to implement.
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.05.2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nopuedorecordar View Post
      I'm talking about not using a button to pan with the mouse, just moving it... that is really viable.
      I disagree. I certainly don't want the image to move when I move the mouse to start making a selection.

An improvement is needed that will work without having to keep swapping options.
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.05.2017, 06:13 AM.
      Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I think that trying to put anything else into the Window mode display is a non-starter. It is far too complicated already.
        However there might be a case for Full screen mode where existing scrolling options are pretty unsatisfactory IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
          I think that trying to put anything else into the Window mode display is a non-starter. It is far too complicated already.
          What about the middle-click suggestion to fast-scroll like browsers? That could work in both window mode and fullscreen.
          Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You normally have to middle-click on a scrollbar to display the widget. Fine for Window mode but the scrollbars are not visible in fullscreen.
            That is one of the reasons why it is so hard to scroll in fullscreen. Inadvertently pressing either left or right mouse buttons in fullscreen moves you on to another image too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
              You normally have to middle-click on a scrollbar to display the widget.
              Not in any browser or PDF viewer I have ever used. Just middle-click anywhere on the page to show a four arrow cursor, then drag in the direction you wish to pan/scroll the page/image.

Try loading a large image in a browser to see how it works.

Comment

My apologies. You are quite right. I should have explored it further. I have never seen any instructions on how to use it. That may be because I don't know what the feature is called.

Yes, I do think it would be a useful tool in Irfanview and if it could be made to work in fullscreen too, you could also use it to discover when there are hidden scrollbars that have changed the function of the hotkeys.

Comment

I have forwarded the suggestion to Irfan Skiljan. Let's see what he has to say.

Comment

Irfan Skiljan is looking at it, but thinks it might be difficult.

Originally posted by Irfan Skiljan
                    "Fast" scrolling is maybe not always possible = not always very fast ... because IrfanView (specially if resample zooming is ON) generates the scrolled parts on the fly ... and resample can be slow.

If a program generates the whole scrolled image (in memory), the fast scrolling can work ... but it needs memory for the whole image/page.

Comment

I cannot see that fast scrolling would appear any different, in terms of speed, to what it is at present. Using the right hand mouse button the image can be dragged across the screen very quickly. I do not think that anyone in this thread is asking for it to move any faster than that, just to keep moving at that speed all the way to the far edge. I think that the slow scrolling when the cursor is close to the four arrow cursor is more of an issue in Irfanview since, with resampling on, movement appears very jerky.

It is my opinion that resampling should always be turned off automatically while scrolling is in progress and not turned on again until the scrolling has finished. The user cannot appreciate the improved resolution of the resampled images while the image judders across the screen. The smoother motion when resampling is turned off more than compensates for it.
                      Last edited by Mij; 03.05.2017, 08:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

+1

A simple multiplier would help a lot.

Comment

Mouse scrolling speed should be increased. It is not correct to do this from windows's setting because only irfanview is too slow. And if we increase it in windows it becomes super fast in everything else.

Mouse scrolling speed should be increased in irfanview.

Comment

Originally posted by timemrah View Post
                            Mouse scrolling speed should be increased in irfanview.
                            No problem at all when browsing images in a folder. Presumably, you mean that it is too slow for you when scrolling large images?
                            The speed will depend on the number of pixels in the image. For typical RAW images, this may be more than 8,000, which is clearly going to be slow to view every pixel. Use the shortcut F to fit the image to the desktop, select the area of interest, and click to zoom in to it. use the Zoom level drop list to revert to 100% zoom 1:1 pixel view.

Comment

Working...
                            X