Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to setup Image scrolling FASTER with mouse wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forwarded How to setup Image scrolling FASTER with mouse wheel?

When I view big vertical-size images and want to scroll it with my mouse wheel it moves just a little like 5 pixel down per wheel move, how can I make it scroll faster? Now scrolling looks very annoying.
    Last edited by Owyn; 13.01.2012, 12:49 PM.

Hi,

the same on my system.
    But usually I don't scroll with the wheel, since is just a vertical scroll.

How about using the right mouse button (click and hold and drag)?

Regards
    Nils

Comment

How about using the right mouse button (click and hold and drag)?
      Bad, it would stop after cursor reaches top of the screen and image may still not be even a half scrolled to the end. So you say there is no way currently to set mouse wheeling speed for IrfanView and I should post this into suggestions section?

Comment

Hi,

you may do this or I move this thread to this section.
        Do you have an idea how the scolling could be improved? Not technically, just what you like to have...

Regards
        Nils

Comment

Originally posted by derniwi View Post
          Hi,

you may do this or I move this thread to this section.
          Do you have an idea how the scolling could be improved? Not technically, just what you like to have...

Regards
          Nils
          Yes, please move it.

I'd like to have an option to set how much more faster than now one mouse-wheel turn scrolles down

Comment

I agree!

An adjustable scroll function would be good!

Comment

Bumping this old thread because apparently this is the most recent and the feature isn't implemented still.

This is an important feature. There are many multi screen text images out there and having to scroll down the equivalent of a quarter mile to get 6 more inches of text to read is absurd. No other app behaves this way.

And before anyone says "Use a different button/app" or "Stop wanting that." No. Options and flexibility are why I'm using IrfanView in the first place.
              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.04.2017, 06:51 AM. Reason: Translated to English :)

Comment

Originally posted by Innomen View Post
                Bumping this old thread because apparently this is the most recent and the feature isn't implemented still.

This is an important feature. There are many multi screen text images out there and having to scroll down the equivalent of a quarter mile to get 6 more inches of text to read is absurd. No other app behaves this way.

Inb4 "use a different button/app" or "stop wanting that." No. Options and flexibility are why I'm using irfanview in the first place.
                Irfanview is an image viewer. It scrolls one pixel for each mouse pulse not one line of text. If you want fast scroll Up and Down use Page Up or Page Down keys. They move half a screen at each press. Hold them down and you are at the top or bottom in no time at all.
                Last edited by Mij; 03.04.2017, 01:46 PM. Reason: Updated quote to follow changes made to it

Comment

Originally posted by Innomen View Post
                  The fact that this five year old thread is the most recent is surely some indication of how unimportant it is. However, feel free to send the feature request to Irfan Skiljan (Help, About IrfanView) and let us know what he says. Then I will update the thread status.

I find the scroll bar at the side is most suitable for this function if using only the mouse, but the PageDown/PageUp keyboard shortcuts are more natural for me. I prefer to reduce the amount of mouse use to avoid RSI. Apparently, unlike most users, I use the middle-finger on the MMB to avoid over-using the index finger.

For quickly scanning very large images a MMB fast scroll like when viewing images in a browser might be more useful than an option to change the scroll step from 5 pixels to 20 or whatever.
                  Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

You can, of course, increase the sensitivity of your mouse in Windows settings. Mine was set at 3 but could be increase to 6 to make image scrolling twice as fast in IrfanView.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mousewheel Sensitivity.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	81635

There's a trade-off with text scrolling now being a bit too fast for comfort.

Find a value that works for you. If you do a lot of image scrolling, and not much Internet browsing, you may be happy with a higher value.
                    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Automatic Pan in zoomed images just with mouse position

I think this is a very useful and popular function:
                      - it gives you a more natural control over the zoomed image
                      - It's a very useful function: i.e. if you have a lot of high resolution photos or images with details in it that you want to see (flickr.com has implemented this function, so you can easily see all the details very fluently and naturally through a big number of photos)

I hope you take into consideration my request regarding the efficiency and the dynamic experience
                      Greetings from Chile!

Comment

Are you referring to fast scrolling with the middle mouse button click then drag like in browsers or PDF viewers, or something else?

Right-click drag is rather slow. I find the keyboard shortcuts easier to use and more controlled than any fast scrolling method with the mouse.

Comment

Hi! Im not talking about fast scrolling on Y direction, nor using the wheel.
                          I'm talking about scrolling on X and Y directions *without clicking or pressing any key, just changing the position of your mouse* (when you have zoomed your image).
                          I think this is necesary to explore in detail a high resolution image in a more fluid way than pressing the arrow keys, some users like me prefers doing it in this way.
                          Please, look at this example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tsuchihisa/16966862202/
                          when you make zoom, you can explore easily just moving your mouse.

This not exactly the function of the thread I was moved on I think.
                          Last edited by nopuedorecordar; 30.04.2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Pretty much what I thought. That's how the middle-mouse button fast scroll works in a browser. It is a well known function already so using that makes the most sense, although some users do not have a middle mouse button.

Open a big NASA image (4000 pixels or more) in a browser tab, and click the middle mouse button, then drag the cursor around.

The flikr example is quite a small image, so scrolling is smooth and not much mouse movement is required. The LBM does not have to do anything else while zoomed in, except zoom out again.

In IrfanView, the left mouse button already has the function of making selections so if you want it to pan it's going to need a modifier key. Ctrl is already used with selections to constrain the aspect ratio to a square.
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 30.04.2017, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nopuedorecordar View Post
                              This not exactly the function of the thread I was moved on I think.
                              It is essentially the same problem — how to view large images using the mouse.

The scrollwheel and shift + scrollwheel can be used, but they are too slow, so the OP asked for a way to speed it up.

The cursor keys can be used, but they are not all much faster, unless you view the image fullscreen and zoom to full size or bigger. Then it's pretty good IMO and might suit your needs, but not if you want to browse images without a keyboard.

Feature Requests should be viable before sending them to Irfan Skiljan. What you're suggesting is not because the LBM is needed to make selections. MMB is unused, and widely used in other applications.

FastStone Image Viewer has a neat way of viewing large images with LBM. Click and hold to zoom in, move while holding the LMB to scroll and pan to view the entire image. It works well, but in FastStone Image Viewer the LMB does not have to do anything else.

Comment

Working...
                              X