4.32 still "iffy" with UTF8-encoded IPTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reported 4.32 still "iffy" with UTF8-encoded IPTC

I don't do all that much with special (non-Roman) alphabetical characters, so I don't know if this applies to anything that elaborate. But it seems as though the quirk reported in past versions -- unchecking "Load Unicode plugin at program start..." (at Options>Properties/Settings>Language) in order to see accented vowels, tilde'd lower-case Ns, etc. as they were meant to be seen -- persists in version 4.32.

Having said that, I should add that it's a darn sight better than that other popular freeware viewer-editor, XnView. With the latter, in almost all instances I've come across, accented characters are still "bunched together" with half-characters I don't recognize and garbage text. To be able to see an accented vowel without any of that noise is something of a blessing; I thank the coders for the opportunity to do so in IrfanView.

BZT
    There's still room for two things in IrfanView: 1). Space at the bottom of each image in a full-screen slideshow to display such metadata as keywords, supplemental categories, origin etc.; 2). Space to add just those few (dozen) annoying metadata tags IrfanView can't read in, edit or save back to a file. I advocate both. BZT
Working...
X