Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requested adding "Auto rotate using EXIF" to batch conversion options

Hi,
    would be nice to add an option to "Auto rotate using EXIF info" into the batch processor. Some digital cameras (Panasonic, ...) store ONLY the EXIF orientation information (and do not rotate the picture itself) so in Windows file browser the pictures do not appear in the correct position.
    With this feature it would be easy to rotate them in a batch so they would be displayed correctly in the file browser.

thanks
    alphard

Oh! This would be great. Many cameras do not rotate, including the high end Canon DSLRs. I always go through the thumbnail browser to auto rotate all and then do the batch to resample.
    --
    www.grebulon.com

Comment

Oh, yes. I joined the forum just now specifically to request this enhancement. Just in case the team is counting responses, I want mine included. ;-)

I do the thumbnails dance to auto-rotate right now, but I'd love to include it in my usual batch stuff as well.

Comment

I agree

I too am new here and I agree with the request.

Every time I transfer at "batch" of jpgs from my camera I need to do both the thumbnail rotate/optimize and then some batch work.

Both lossless auto rotation and lossless optimizing should be part of the batch options.

Comment

I agree that this is important, but you can already (sort of) do it.

Go to thumbnails. Wait for it to display all the thumbnails in the folder. Select all the files, and press shift-J for lossless rotation.

Now select auto-rotate.

The only drawback that I can see to this is that it will process all files selected, not just the ones that need rotation.

Comment

I belong to the opposite school of thought to you guys. I prefer to keep all my photo images as they are, in landscape format. For starters it is easier to do batch operations if all images are the same format.
            The auto-rotate on EXIF option in IV means that the pictures I took in Portrait are rotated to portrait as I view them. Why would I want them permanently rotated ?

In fact rotating the image on the screen is all I normally want auto-rotate to do. As it is, if I edit an auto-rotated image and then want to resave in the original orientation, I can't. I have to go into Properties to turn off auto-rotate, move to the next image then back again to restore the orientation, and then redo all the edits. I would also prefer that it was not auto-rotated when printing. It just means I have to keep constantly changing the printer format to rotate it back again.

So you see that my wish is for auto-rotate to do less, not more. Failing that a couple of feature requests would be
            1. A quick way to turn auto-rotate on and off (a toolbar icon or keyboard shortcut)
            2. A Refresh that really did refresh (i.e. reload the file).

Comment

Let's not sidetrack the thread...

Mij --

>> rotating the image on the screen is all I normally want auto-rotate to do.

Your suggested enhancements to the auto-rotate option while *viewing* sound like great ideas, too, but let's please not sidetrack the auto-rotate during *batch* operations enhancement suggested by this particular thread. Perhaps you could start a new thread for your enhancements to this other area?

Personally, I can count the photos I've printed out (in the last five years) on one hand, and still have a finger left to pick my nose. The vast majority of the photos I'm processing in batch are destined for the web and I need them all to be right-side-up. :-)

Comment

Hi all_trades_jack
                Sorry, I did not intend to hijack your thread, just to point out that there are other ways of working. When I first got a camera with true image orientations in the EXIF data, my first action was to immediately rotate all the "Portrait" images and re-save them just as I had always done in the past. As qvavel says you can do this already in IV using Thumbnails. Really easy - very fast.
                Having done it I regretted it. There is no easy way to put them all back as they were. All I would ever do with most of them was to view them, and the EXIF rotate option in the main viewer window could rotate as needed while I viewed.
                A few I may want to rotate permanently. Those I will do as I need them.
                I am not yet ready to post a feature request about the problems I encounter with EXIF auto-rotate while editing. I am not quite clear enough how it should work and, OK, I should not have started it in this thread.

Comment

Good idea

When I do this job (1000 files auto-rotate) in thumbnail-view it always takes a loooooong time to create the thumbnails (XnView is much faster in this case ;-p).
                  If I stop IV during the thumbnail-creation and select all files, only those with a thumbnail are processed (already in this forum reported bug !).

An other way to solve this would be, to have different "views" in the thumbnail mode like in every windows-folder: "preview, icons, list, details".

By this it would be much easier and - most of all faster!!

Cheers, Karl
                  Gruß, CADweazle

Comment

agree...but only if it's lossless!

hello,

I agree with having the auto-rotation as a feature in the batch conversion, but only if the rotation is completely lossless. Having the pictures physically saved in the proper orientation is, IMHO, better because:

1) any and all viewers will show them in the proper rotation (avoiding that sharp pain between my head and my shoulders as I try to 'manually' orient them)
                    2) you may want (or have) to strip the EXIF info from your pics for privacy reasons or if you save in different formats
                    3) well, no real third reason, i just like them that way
                    4) oh, okay I thought of a 'third' reason - importing images to other applications - you don't have to try to explain to your grandma why when she tries to import a picture of the kids to Powerpoint it's 'all sideways, when it looks fine in the other box'

I understand that the lossless rotation is a plug-in feature rather than bundled with the program? (I haven't a clue, since if I install one I install the other as well.) I definitely wouldn't want to mess with the original files unless they can be saved as lossless. If possible, however, this would be a very nice feature to have, and then it's up to each user as to whether or not they make use of it.

my 2 dollars (inflation, you know)
                    captain_carrot

Comment

OK some want to work one way, some another. I hope you get your request.

In the meantime have you thought of using the File>Search feature? Just search for "right" in the EXIF data and it will find all the images that need to be rotated right. Select Show in thumbnails, take a quick look to make sure they are all the way you want them, Select them all, right click and choose the rotation you want, lossless or otherwise.
                      For ones that need to be rotated left you have to search for "bottom", which is a pity because it will also find any that need to be rotated 180 deg. You cannot search for "bottom" and "left" together with the IV plug-in.

Comment

any news about this?

It should just be an option in the batch dialog to autorotate using exif info. Should be done just like in the thumbnail view.
                        --
                        www.grebulon.com

Comment

Sounds like an interesting idea, but I wonder if it is really possibe? You see, lossless rotation is done on the original file (meaning an overwrite), whereas batch conversion usually is the creation of another file, possibly in a new format. The problem is the conversion to JPG is lossy during a conversion and the rotation is lossless with the plugin.

Basically you'd have to do a double operation on each file and it would possibly need overwrite permission, not to mention be performed in a certain order, since the EXIF tag could have been removed by the initial conversion. It would be kind of confusing to users in addition to the potential conflicts. What would happen if they only applied the lossless rotation? Would it be lossless? That's why I think most programs make it an isolated tool from batch, it solves a lot of headaches.

Anyway, you can always perform lossless rotations using the command line.

Comment

It doesn't really matter. If Rotation is the only operation in the batch, it can be copied and then rotated. However usually there will also be other operations in addition to rotating.
                            --
                            www.grebulon.com

Comment

I'm not saying I don't like the idea. In fact, it is a rather useful capability, especially when paired with other transformations. It's just that I have not seen such an implementation elsewhere, and I think there must be a reason for it, considering this seems to be a rather obvious feature.

I could see having a auto rotate option, but I question if it should be labeled lossless, since it would potentially only be in memory. Lossless would be good, although I don't see how the plugin could be incorporated here in its current state. I also don't see it as being completely accurate to imply losslessness when in fact that may not be true all of the time. If you indeed wanted to do an overwriting lossless rotation from batch, how exactly would the interface have to change to make that possible (i.e without doing a recompression operation)?

Comment

Working...
                              X