No announcement yet.

adding "Auto rotate using EXIF" to batch conversion options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we're slipping off-topic. The point is auto-rotate according to EXIF info.

No one appears to have mentioned the elephant in the room, VISTA (haven't tested Win 7 yet, but if MS runs true to form...). Vista recognizes EXIF info, and then ignores it in its several auto-display services. However, IrfanView's Auto-rotate by EXIF info fixes the problem, once and for all, and it's lossless. What's supposed to be landscape stays that way, and what's supposed to be portrait shows up correctly in Vista.

Which is why I would dearly wish to be able to do it batchwise on everything I load in.

Comment

I guess I support this, but it shouldn't use the lossless plugin. I don't want the original's overwritten, or any confusion about what is going on. It should be an adjustment similar to the auto-rotate setting for loading JPGs in the viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by alphard View Post
        Hi,
        would be nice to add an option to "Auto rotate using EXIF info" into the batch processor. Some digital cameras (Panasonic, ...) store ONLY the EXIF orientation information (and do not rotate the picture itself) so in Windows file browser the pictures do not appear in the correct position.
        With this feature it would be easy to rotate them in a batch so they would be displayed correctly in the file browser.

thanks
        alphard
        Completely agree! +1

Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
        Anyway, you can always perform lossless rotations using the command line.
        How? Can u provide an example please?

Comment

Originally posted by TranceVibes View Post
          Originally posted by Skippybox View Post
          Anyway, you can always perform lossless rotations using the command line.
          How? Can u provide an example please?
          ----------
          Originally posted by (i_options.txt) -or- IrfanView F1 Help (i_view32.chm)
          Example for /jpg_rotate=(options):
          options = all 8 options from the JPG lossless dialog:
          transformation, optimize, EXIF date, current date, set DPI, DPI value, marker option, custom markers

Note: this option will overwrite the original file(s)!

Values:
          Transformation : None (0), Vertical (1) ... Auto rotate (6)
          Optimize : 0 or 1
          Set EXIF date : 0 or 1
          Keep current date: 0 or 1
          Set DPI : 0 or 1
          DPI value : number
          Marker option : Keep all (0), Clean all (1), Custom (2)
          Custom markers values (can be combined (add values)):
          Keep Comment 1
          Keep EXIF 2
          Keep IPTC 4
          Keep others 8

i_view32.exe c:\test.jpg /jpg_rotate=(6,1,1,0,1,300,0,0)
          => Auto rotate, optimize, set EXIF date as file date, set DPI to 300, keep all markers
          i_view32.exe c:\test.jpg /jpg_rotate=(6,1,1,0,0,0,2,6)
          => Auto rotate, optimize, set EXIF date as file date, keep EXIF and IPTC markers
          i_view32.exe c:\test.jpg /jpg_rotate=(3,1,0,1,0,0,1,0)
          => Rotate 90, optimize, use current file date, clean all markers
          i_view32.exe c:\images\*.jpg /jpg_rotate=(6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0)
          => For all JPGs: Auto rotate, optimize, set EXIF date as file date, keep all markers

Comment

The above is exactly what i need (last option) as thumbnail method takes very long to load - but, i'm having problems as command line is not something i use much. Do i just open CMD and enter the code i need? Because i've always had to be quotation marks like this: "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" if i don't i get this error: 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

The thing is, if i use quotation marks for the first part, the the folder location part gets left out. What is the proper way to enter it? Also, is this all supposed to be done via CMD or do people mean something else?

Another, can the command line method include subdirectories? Or can you convert one folder at a time? If it's just one folder, is it possible to create some kind of batch file so that it converts one folder at a time after you've entered all the folder locations into it?
            Last edited by Xad; 24.04.2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

The program that Skippybox gave should be run in a Command Prompt window.

You can find Command Prompt under Accessories in your Start menu or you can Run Cmd.exe directly.
              If you use the Command prompt often to run Irfanview programs you might consider creating a shortcut on the desktop to Cmd.exe and set it to start in C:\program files\irfanview. Then you will not need to specify the path for i_view32.exe. The attached image shows this. Note that you will only need to put Cmd.exe in the target line,the path will be filled in for you as will the quote marks in the Start in line if it contains a space.

If you do not want to set anything up first then you will need the full path with i_view32.exe and, yes, because of the space in Program files you will need quotes around the string as you say. You must leave a space after the closing quote before the next part and then it should work OK.

You can write a Batch file, if you know how to do that, and automate the process for multiple images. You just run that and it will launch itself in a Command Prompt window. You can find lots of help on line if you want to learn more about this subject.
              Attached Files

Comment

I don't understand what i'm doing wrong, that's how i was entering the command line, but nothing was happening and still doesn't. This is how it looks:

One thing that does get modified is the Exif data. I checked using Exif Reader and it shows the Orientation as being changed from originally being something like TOP to 1 after running the command line.

Comment

Ah! I do not think the problem is in the Command line at all but in the Exif data in your image. Neither "Top" nor "1" are valid entries for the Orientation tag in Exif.

The four values that Irfanview accepts are shown on the images attached. These are my test images. In each case running the lossless jpeg auto-rotate from your Command line on these should turn them right way up. The images have the correct full name for the values as defined in the Exif specification but note that Irfanview omits the word "Side" in the Information dialog.

After the images have been rotated to the right way up the tag should read Top Left Side in all of them.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Same thing happened with those images you attached, it converts the Orientation tag to 1 but doesn't do anything to the image, i tried both with the asterisk and the direct link to the image using the following command lines:

i_view32.exe C:\123\*.jpg /jpg_rotate=(6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0)
                    and
                    i_view32.exe C:\123\XO3.jpg /jpg_rotate=(6,1,1,0,0,0,0,0)

Not sure what's causing this as i can convert the images in question manually using the lossless rotation via irfanview and thumbnail preview, but can't seem to do it via command line.

Comment

Sorry Xad. Your command line worked fine for me on both a single file or multiple ones. The only unexpected thing was that for the single file case an Irfanview window was left open after it executed with the rotated image displayed in it. For the multiple files with the * in the line, no Irfanview window was opened.

Did you remember to open the thumbnails in my post above before you saved them? If you do a Save As on the actual thumbnails, you just get a thumbnail version saved without any Exif data.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good news, it worked (and yes, i downloaded the larger versions of your thumbnails, hehe).

I think the problem might have been with my installation itself, i always keep Irfanview updated, but i think i didn't update the plugins installation (for quite a while). I installed both irfanview and the plugins filter pack again and it seems to be working fine now, woohoo Should save me a lot of time.

Many thanks for all the help Mij and thanks for being so patient with me

Edit: BTW, is it better to include optimization or exclude it? Is it still lossless with it on?
                        Last edited by Xad; 27.04.2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xad View Post
                          Good news, it worked
                          Edit: BTW, is it better to include optimization or exclude it? Is it still lossless with it on?
                          Glad to be of help.
                          As for your question, in truth I do not really know what optimization does but seem to recall that it has something to do with how odd rows of pixels at the edges of the image are treated if the image size after rotation does not match up with the requirements of the Jpeg packing algorithm. (Could be completely wrong in which case I am sure somebody will correct me.)
                          If that is right though I think it makes no difference at all to the quality of all the rest of the image.
                          Last edited by Mij; 28.04.2010, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X