Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orientation turns when resizing picture and Auto-rotating is set according EXIF info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orientation turns when resizing picture and Auto-rotating is set according EXIF info

Hello

I don't understand it:

I have a picture with: Image 1024 wide x 1280 height (portrait)

Now I resize with Batch:

File / Batch conversion / Use advanced options / 'Advanced' / RESIZE / Set new size / Width: 1280 / Height: 1024 / 'OK' / 'Start Batch'

Result: Image with 819 wide x 1024 height, but:

I have set the JPEG-Setting:

JPEG - Load / Auto-rotate image according to EXIF info (if available)

and now in the view my picture is rotated 90° clockwize.
    In the Image properties / EXIF-info / Orientation I can read "Right top", this was the same before conversion.

Is this a bug of Batch conversion, Auto-rotate view or a wrong setting by me?

Kind thanks

frank on Irfan 4.32

It is doing exactly what you told it to do. Resize is a WYSIWYG feature. It resizes the image that is being displayed not the original file. So if it has been Auto-rotated to show it "right way up" that is what will be resized (rotated 90 deg right if the EXIF orientation is Right top). If you then save it with the original EXIF orientation tag setting then the "right way up" image will be auto-rotated 90 deg right again.

After setting the Output format to Jpeg in the Batch dialog, click on Options alongside it and check Reset EXIF orientation tag in the Save options dialog. The tag will then be changed to Top left and the image will no longer be rotated when Auto-rotate is on.

Note though that the Lossless JPEG features are not WYSIWYG. They rotate the original file not what is displayed.

Comment

Ahh, OK, thank you verymuch!

frank

Comment

Working...
      X