Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Batch Panorama creation

Hi All

I have a large folder that consists of hundreds of images. These images are in 3-file groups, each of the groups needs to be combined into a panorama image.
    How can I tell IrfanView to read 3 files each time and combine them? Been working on it for days, but my batch file skills aren't good enough.

regards,
    Mike.

Re: Batch Panorama creation

Hi

Can anyone help me with this?

regards,
    Mike.

Comment

The Irfanview part is a simple command. It is organizing the files that is the complex part.
      Depends on how the files are arranged. Are they in alphabetical order in the folder or is it necessary to make a list to put them in the correct sequence? Could they be dragged in threes from Windows Explorer and dropped on to a Batch file icon or would that be too much work? How are the panoramas to be named?

Comment

Re: Batch Panorama creation

Hi Mij!

The files are in alphabetical order in the folder. I would prefer not to drag each group, but to make this fully automatic.
        The file name of the resulting panorama can be a concatenation of all 3 names.

regards,
        Mike.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
        The Irfanview part is a simple command. It is organizing the files that is the complex part.
        Depends on how the files are arranged. Are they in alphabetical order in the folder or is it necessary to make a list to put them in the correct sequence? Could they be dragged in threes from Windows Explorer and dropped on to a Batch file icon or would that be too much work? How are the panoramas to be named?

Comment

You can try this Visual Basic Script. It is based on a Batch file that Foxy wrote to process files in Irfanview but I could not adapt that to work properly for what you want to do. Hence the VBS file instead. Unzip the attached file (pano.vbs) and save it on your desktop. Open pano.vbs in Notepad and edit the defaults in lines 8 to 10 if they are not what you want and then re-save.

The program is run by dropping a folder on to the pano.vbs icon. Choose a small folder to test first (somewhere around 9 files) just in case there is a problem. Open the parent folder in Windows Explorer and drag the folder you want to process onto the pano.vbs icon. See screenshot below.

Double click on the folder to open it after the vbs starts and you should see that a subfolder called Panoramas has been created. Open the Panoramas subfolder and you should see see the panoramas being created in it. If that works OK then you could try a bigger folder.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Drag and drop.png
Views:	1
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	80706
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mij!

Thank you so much! This script works like a charm!

regards,
            Mike.

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            You can try this Visual Basic Script. It is based on a Batch file that Foxy wrote to process files in Irfanview but I could not adapt that to work properly for what you want to do. Hence the VBS file instead. Unzip the attached file (pano.vbs) and save it on your desktop. Open pano.vbs in Notepad and edit the defaults in lines 8 to 10 if they are not what you want and then re-save.

The program is run by dropping a folder on to the pano.vbs icon. Choose a small folder to test first (somewhere around 9 files) just in case there is a problem. Open the parent folder in Windows Explorer and drag the folder you want to process onto the pano.vbs icon. See screenshot below.

Double click on the folder to open it after the vbs starts and you should see that a subfolder called Panoramas has been created. Open the Panoramas subfolder and you should see see the panoramas being created in it. If that works OK then you could try a bigger folder.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3157[/ATTACH]

Comment

Thanks Mij ... exactly what I was looking for!

I modified it slightly because I had to add the same left image and right image to all the images in the directory, so it now goes thru each image one at a time (instead of 3 at a time) and pulls a common left image and right image out of another directory and creates the new images for me.

Comment

The only issue I had was trying to figure out how to set the pixel spacing between the images. I could not find a command that would do this, so I had to manually open Irfanview and manually set the spacing from the drop down menu and then closed it and then when I ran the script it used the new setting.

Comment

Mij,
                  Thank you so much for the pano.vbs...it's excellent and works perfectly..i have one request since i know nothing about compiling vbs..i would like to combine two images versus three images using your script..could you possibly make modifications and repost so it will join two images..thank you very much..
                  regards, Max

Comment

Sorry,I am away for 4 weeks. No Windows no Irfanview no VBS , just an Android tablet.

Comment

Count me as another user who'd like to batch process panoramas. I downloaded Mij's
                      pano.zip and was able to get a "panoramas" folder created but there's nothing in it. I'm
                      not familiar with programming languages of any kind so I guess I need some help.

Since I use .tiff files for processing, I changed lines 8 and 9 to:

mask = "tif,jpg,png,gif" 'files to process inside folder
                      panextn = ".tif" 'file type for panoramas

I'm guessing is that my file names don't match the parameters of the script, but I don't
                      understand it enough to know what to change. My files are named 001.tif, 001(1).tif,
                      002.tif, 002(1).tif, etc. Each "(1)" file is a horizontal flip of the other, and I want to create
                      a panorama out of each pair.

I've been doing this one frame at a time for a kind of kaleidoscope effect in time lapse
                      videos. (Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6crQofC_LYE. Video is five
                      minutes long, effect starts at about 3:30). Doing it for time lapse shots that last hundreds
                      of frames is sheer drudgery, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

I will be home later next week and will look at it then. I am struggling to read my zip file with Android.
                        I do not think that I would have used a comma as the separator between the file types in the mask. I usually use the pipe character (as Irfanview does) but cannot remember quite where that is on a Windows keyboard. Somewhere bottom left with Shift held down I think.

Comment

Eureka! Substituting the pipe character for commas in the mask line worked. Only trouble is that the script made panos of three files instead of two:

001(1)_001_002(1).tif
                          002_003(1)_003.tif

So I'm not out of the woods yet. I can't tell where to change the script so that it makes panos out of two files so I'll wait till you get back. But thanks for what you've done so far. Just knowing it can be done is a great relief.

Comment

I have now managed to read what l posted in that vbs file. The file was designed to make panoramas of 3 images not 2 and unfortunately I did not make it easy to change the number. You would have to change the line
                            If count=3 then count=0 : pano file(1), file(2), file(3)
                            to
                            If count=2 then count=0 : pano file(1), file(2)
                            but because the subroutine pano expects 3 file names to be passed that has to be changed too, as follows
                            Sub pano (f1, f2)
                            concat = panout & "\" & head(f1) & "_" & head(f2) & panextn
                            filestring = "1," & f1 & "," & f2

Then as it was

Comment

Thanks, Mij. I'm off to the lake for five days and will try it out when I get back, I hope with more footage to pano. Will let you know how it turned out.

PS -- I figured out how to make vertical panos with your script. My process involves two steps, making a horizontal flip of the original file and joining them, then making a vertical flip of that pano and joining them.
                              Last edited by Cropper; 16.07.2014, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X