Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a one - step text box w/ background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a one - step text box w/ background?

Is there a way or settings to change, so it's possible to place a text box on an image, with one click (say, that has solid yellow background, & red text)?

Only way I've found to put a solid background (rectangle) is 1st use a filled rectangle (selecting a color for background & border).

2nd, switch to text tool & position cursor over desired spot on rectangle.

Problem, if don't want a (red) border around rectangle & choose same color for body & border, then when switch to text tool, the text will same color as background.
    It doesn't save selected colors for each tool separately (AFAIK). That's kind of a pain to be limited to selecting a new color for each tool, every time you use it, unless you ALWAYS want to use the same colors for everything. IOW, if want to use diff colors for diff drawing tools, have to reselect the colors every time you click on a new tool.

If this isn't possible w/ default Irfanpaint, is there a drawing plugin that does what I need? I.E., create a text box & save the color choice for background & text (plus size)?

Thanks.

As for a plugin, I have created a text plugin, that allows you to add text to an image, plus many graphic effects (including a background box, with or without border, that automatically resizes with the text).
    It does not automatically remember settings, but there is a save/load button.

It doesn't have an install procedure, so just follow the ReadMe.txt instructions.

It is a freeware 8bf-Photoshop-compatible plugin which, in Irfanview, you can install/load via CTL+K

Download here Jazzman's Graphic Spell

Let me know if you like it

(I just noticed you have a 64-bit system. My filter may not work there. However as you will be running Irfanview as 32-bit application, it might work after all)

A few more features:
    - drag and drop the text within the image to where you want it to be
    - colours, fades, drop shadow, underline, patterns, ...
    - possibility to store frequently used texts
    Last edited by jazzman; 14.02.2012, 04:21 PM. Reason: 32/64-bit

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Thanks jazzman.
      It does not automatically remember settings, but there is a save/load button.
      Do you mean once you're using the plugin on an image, you must load a config / ini file, containing prefs for text color, box background color, etc?

If no one comes up w/ a way to handle my fairly simple needs using current IrfanView features, I'll take a look at your plugin.
      What I'm asking about doing in Irfanview / Irfanpaint, is so common in far less polished prgms, it seems strange (to me) that a "one - click" text box feature that saves color selections, doesn't already exist in IrfanView. That simple feature exists in a VERY old (last free) version of FastStone Capture.
      Last edited by imajezz; 14.02.2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Do you mean once you're using the plugin on an image, you must load a config / ini file, containing prefs for text color, box background color, etc?
        There is only one ini-file, so you don't have to go through the motions of navigationg/choosing to load it. As soon as you click the load button the settings from last save action are re-loaded. - I have considered automatically reloading when the plugin is invoked, but that isn't always welcome either. Maybe I can find the time to implement a checkbox to enable/disable automatic load.

PS: click on the link in my previous post to see a few screenshots of the interface and what you can do with it.
        Last edited by jazzman; 14.02.2012, 07:08 PM. Reason: PS

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Working...
        X