Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can IrfanView remove/strip EXIF data from images?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can IrfanView remove/strip EXIF data from images?

Hi!

Can IrfanView remove/strip EXIF data from images? Without having to resave the images especially with JPEG/JPG and its compressions?

Thank you in advance.

Not that I know of, but if you use the "Try to save with original quality (estimation)" you won't see any noticeable degradation of quality. The file size will be reduced slightly due to the removal of Exif data.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
      Hi! Can IrfanView remove/strip EXIF data from images? Without having to resave the images especially with JPEG/JPG and its compressions? Thank you in advance.
      Yes you can, and it does a great job. I compared it to the EXIF Remover tools that cost $19-$49 and it does the same thing, can leave nothing behind. I was just using it this morning. Go to File>Batch Conversion/Rename>Options Tab (upper left)>Un-check appropriate boxes.

However, I did notice some files are larger after the conversion and some are smaller. I was under the assumption it would reduce the file size on all the images if you purged every piece of metadata. I will ask about this in a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BJ1200 View Post
        Yes you can, and it does a great job. I compared it to the EXIF Remover tools that cost $19-$49 and it does the same thing, can leave nothing behind. I was just using it this morning. Go to File>Batch Conversion/Rename>Options Tab (upper left)>Un-check appropriate boxes..
        There are no options to remove Exif data on the Batch Rename Options dialogue. You were doing a batch Conversion, which accounts for the changes in the file size. The JPG file are being recompressed, which is not what ant wants.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
          Can IrfanView remove/strip EXIF data from images? Without having to resave the images especially with JPEG/JPG and its compressions?

Thank you in advance.
          To accomplish this task, first of all install the IrfanView PlugIns. Then select pictures you want to process. After that click "File" --> "JPEG Lossless Operations" --> "Lossless rotation with selected files" (yeah, it's tricky!)

At the bottom of the windows choose "Custom" and untick the "Keep EXIF":

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	80737

For more customizable process and better support of various embedded info formats, you may consider this EXIF metadata remover which isn't free ($16), but its trial never expires.

Hope this resolves the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by peterkob View Post
            To accomplish this task, first of all install the IrfanView PlugIns. Then select pictures you want to process. After that click "File" --> "JPEG Lossless Operations" --> "Lossless rotation with selected files" (yeah, it's tricky!)

At the bottom of the windows choose "Custom" and untick the "Keep EXIF":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3205[/ATTACH]...
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X