IrfanView is not on the Start menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed IrfanView is not on the Start menu

After installing 4.33 version–and having accepted to create a Start menu folder–IrfanView shows many items there, except the main program icon. I guess it's an installation bug, right?
    It happened on a Windows 7 Professional and on a Windows 7 Home Premium systems, both 64-bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IV_start_menu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	84532
    Desktop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i7 • 12 GB RAM
    Laptop PC: Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit • Intel Core i5 • 6 GB RAM
    IrfanView 4.60 • 32-bit

I encountered this installation bug too.

OS: WinXP SP3. Installed Irvanview 4.33, and during install checked the option 'Create Start Menu folder' (Unchecked the other two options.) Selected the radio button, 'For all users'.
    In the Start Menu the folder Irfanview is created, and it's populated, but the shortcut to i_view32.exe is missing.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes there does seem to be a problem. Initially after installing Irfanview 4.33 in Win 7 32-bit I did have shortcuts to the main program in both the Recently used programs list (the short list visible before All programs is selected) and, after All programs was selected, in the Irfanview program folder. By right clicking on them and selecting Properties though I could see from the dates, that they were both left overs from previous installations. The link in Recently used programs was to v4.32 but the one in the Irfanview folder was to a very old version (4.28) that I still have installed in a User folder. It may be that I have never asked for new links in the Start list since 4.28 though.

After removing all previous shortcuts from both Start menu and desktop and then installing Irfanview 4.33 again, there was no longer a shortcut to the main program in the Irfanview folder when All programs was selected. The shortcut to Irfanview in Recently used programs was restored though and the date in Properties shows that it now links to the newly installed version.

Comment

Hi,

it's the same problem on my machine. I'll ask Irfan.

Regards
        Nils

Comment

It would seem that whenever Irvanview is installed it does not overwrite existing shortcuts in the Start Menu folder. It's probably better to always delete and write anew, if only to flush out any installation bugs such as this one.

Very odd bug, by the way. You'd never expect something like that to be lost.

Comment

Hi,

Irfan has fixed the installer:
            english:

german:
            http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/iview4...upmenu_fix.exe

It is also possible to create the shortcuts manually.

Regards
            Nils

Comment

Of course 99% of Irfanview users will simply create a shortcut manually.
              (Personally I always delete the group menu, and I insert a shortcut to i_view32.exe at one level higher in the Start Menu)

For the far majority of users this was a harmless bug - but still Irfan must be notified.
              (I placed my confirmation here so that others can see that the bug has been reported. I relied on the moderators to forward the report to Irfan.)

Comment

Hi,

as I just answered: Irfan has released a fixed installer.
                Unfortunately the bad installer is still available as default download. I'll ask him if he releases the new version as 4.33a.

Regards
                Nils

Comment

Working...
                X