Password policy is excessive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password policy is excessive

I find the password policy requiring a change every 100 days to be excessive and an unnecessary annoyance. This is a discussion forum. There is nothing here worth hacking into. I have no problem with requiring a strong password, but enforcing frequent changes will not change the behavior or careless people and it will irritate careful people. I subscribe to dozens of discussion groups this is the only one that forces password changes. This is not even required on most financial websites -- at least none that I use and I use several.

I agree, though perhaps that policy makes sense for moderator accounts, it is excessive for user accounts. Anyone who can make their own decision to keep changing the password if they wish.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Totally agree with the topic starter. But I haven't yet experienced this issue since just recently signed up.

Comment

+1 .

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

+1
          I expected this interval to be at least a year.
          I was able to enter the same password for the new one, and did so.

Comment

Not only is the frequent changing awkward, but login was acting mighty buggy today. I was unable to log in at all until I emailed support and Stefan waved his magic wand

First I used my latest password -- figuring that it was probably outdated already but would at least get me to a pasword-changing page. Instead, I was told that I had used the wrong ID or password, had used up all my login attempts (in ONE attempt!!!! 0.0 !!!!), and would be locked out for 15 minutes. Then I did a password reset, and got the same door slammed in my face with the new one.

I hope this isn't happening too much, or poor Stefan will never sleep
            Its: Belongs to "It"
            It's: Shortened form of "It is"
            ---------------------
            Lose: Fail to keep
            Loose: Not tight

---------------------
            Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

You are not alone, matera. Similar thing happened to me with my current password the other day. Locked out after only one attempt, which in fact used the correct id+pw, as these are stored in my browser. Second attempt - after 15 minutes or so - was ok though.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Unnecessary password expiration policy

I just logged in after more than a year away. Before I could do anything, I was forced to change my password. This is, in my opinion, an unnecessary inconvenience.

I use a password manager, so my passwords are very complicated (such as "IeL(bhu+gxI!SN0-+grN") and I never use the same password in more than one account. This "protection" is completely unnecessary for me and, I suspect, most of your users.

I participate in hundreds of discussion forums. This is the only one that has this requirement.

I suggest that it be at least made optional.

Comment

Support!!!
                  J.A.G.

Comment

No doubt Stefan has his reasons.

Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Natalie Moore View Post
                      I participate in hundreds of discussion forums. This is the only one that has this requirement.
                      So far, you haven't really participated at all in this forum. You posted one question a couple of years ago. It had one reply that you did not acknowledge.

You then recently posted one complaint under the guise of a support question.

Then you posted a complaint about how inconvenient it was for you to change your password once in two years.

I wish you would participate in the forum, and contribute something positive to enrich it.There are only a handful of active members who answer all of the questions from new members.

Start by filling in your program version number and Operating System in your User Profile.
                      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 21.07.2015, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Good and valid reasons?
                        J.A.G.

Comment

As I recall the measures were introduced following a Denial of service attack which followed after a series of Spam attacks on members of the forum.

Why anyone should mount a Denial of service attack on the Irfanview forum is a mystery to me but there do seem to be some wierdos out there.

Comment

Forcing users to change passwords is unnecessary and annoying

When I tried to login this morning, I was forced to change my password for the 5th or 6th time. This is unnecessary and annoying.

My password here looks something like this "w79D(q+*Vn8Wo9v%p#NI". This is not my actual password. All of my passwords are generated for me by a password manager and I never use the same password for more than one account.

I subscribe to dozens of discussion forums. None of them have this requirement. Not even my financial institutions force me to change my password.
                            Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.11.2018, 11:23 AM. Reason: See Before you post ... $1: Manners
                            Running IV 64 4.52 on Windows 10 with Office 365

This is a democracy (USA) so we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Comment

On your second point, I agree with you, it is annoying. Nevertheless, two minutes to change it once every 3 months is not a lot.

The site Admin clearly thinks that it is necessary. It is not our decision.

If you don't like it, feel free to get help from elsewhere.
                              Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 03.11.2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X