Thumbnails Don't Change After Cropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Thumbnails Don't Change After Cropping

I don't know if this is a bug, or by design, or I'm missing something. It seems to have started with v 4.33.

If I crop an image and save the cropped image as a new file in the same folder, the thumbnail I see in Thumbnails view is of the original image. It wasn't always like this, but I can't be absolutely sure when the change occurred.

Old cropped images are OK, so it would seem to relate to where/how thumbnail information is stored/indexed.

Try refreshing the thumbnail.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

That was the first thing I tried. I'm not a complete newbie. I have been using IrfanView for many years, and I'm pretty familiar with its use. And I always update application and plugins as soon as a new version comes online.

I have tried refreshing thumbnails, closing and reopening the thumbnails and rebooting the PC. Nothing changes.

I will now add that it's intermittent, but I cannot figure out what if anything I'm doing different so that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't

Comment

I cannot reproduce the issue.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Is there a thumbnail cache somewhere I can clear?

Although I'm beginning to think it's a file attribute issue rather than an IrfanView issue per se.

Comment

I presume that IrfanView caches all thumbnails in RAM. Nothing is saved to disk or refreshing would be much faster.

This has been requested several times, but not everyone wants the disk clutter of thumbnail cache files.

Comment

Understood. So whatever is causing my problem, it's not a thumbnail cache. I don't think we need take this any further. Thanks

Comment

Have you set the new option in v4.33 of Irfanview that allows faster loading of thumbnails? Select Options > Set Thumbnail options and look whether "Try to load EXIF Thumbnail for JPG files" is checked.

If it is then you need to be aware that you are looking at the small thumbnail that is embedded in the EXIF data. Unless you have software that updates the EXIF thumbnail when the main image changes (and Irfanview does not) then the thumbnail will still show a copy of the image as it was when it was taken by the camera. It will not change when you edit the main image and re-save.

That is the price you pay for faster loading of the thumbnails. If you want to see thumbnails representing what the image is now then uncheck that option.
                Last edited by Mij; 09.04.2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

So I was right after all. It IS a change introduced in 4.33. Thankyou. That was checked (although I don't recall doing so). My problem is now solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X