Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A couple thumbnail usability enhancements

You say "neither of which should be a problem here"... but either you didn't see me mention, or have forgotten, that I am not a "standard" user. I have both sight problems, and some minor coordination issues in my hands. I am "unable" to click between thumbnails because the space is very small and I have trouble both seeing where to click, and getting my hand to put the cursor in exactly the right spot. The accidental double-clicking may be either me, or my mouse, I'm not sure, but either way, it seemed easy enough to fix. Not aware of which method Irfan's used to program the GUI, I don't know how difficult it would be to add in the ability to adjust spacing between thumbnails. I know in some programming libraries, this would be insanely easy, and in others, it would be pretty tricky. Likewise with the double-clicking thing: I know it depends on how the code was written as to how hard it is to implement. It just seems that these should not be insanely hard additions to make, and I think it would probably help people who find it a little challenging to use the Thumbnails pane for sorting/deleting large numbers of photos.

Yes, I can right-click to bring up the context menu, but that defeats the entire purpose of keyboard navigation, which is to not have to move your hands back and forth all the time.

Eric Storm

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    I have though proposed to Irfan that he might change the function of hotkey F4 to "Append selected files to current slideshow" when in Thumbnails view because the present action of F4 is not very useful and at times quite confusing. It would also be more in line with how F2, F7 and F8 work in Thumbnail view. He has not yet replied to that.
    Irfan replied
    F4: has no special function in thumbnails (yet), it is actually handled in main window only. Thumbnails window has its own menu for that.
    I could maybe add F4 to Thumbnails too, if you like (append selected files to slideshow)
    I intend to reply that, yes I would like it, and I think that both you and Jazzman might find that Slideshow list method a useful way of assembling a set of thumbnails to perform some collective action on them. You are not limited to them all being in the same folder either if you do it that way.
    I should point out that I am just a user who occasionally writes to Irfan directly to ask for features. Anyone is free to do that and you can do so too, requesting your original features if you want to. I believe he treats everyone fairly and equally but it is worth carefully thinking through what you are asking for if you do not want to be disappointed.

For myself, I am still not convinced about the value of your request for adjustable spacing between thumbnails, Eric. I never find it necessary to click between the thumbnails themselves when selecting then. The normal method of multiple selection with Shift or Ctrl key pressed requires you to click on the thumbnails not between them, and the marquee selection method works best if you start the drag from a point between the names of the thumbnails in the row above not between the thumbnails themselves. If the names are too close together for you to locate the gap then enlarging the thumbnails will help. My hand is steady enough to click into the gap between two thumbnails but I don't because, even then, I also frequently end up dragging the thumbnail rather than the marquee.

I can understand why you want to disable the effect of a double click on a thumbnail. However it is the normal way to open the browser window and display that image, so consider perhaps asking that the double click action might be disabled just when Shift or Ctrl are pressed. Would that solve your problems without inconveniencing other users?

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 7 Professional SP1
    CPU Cores

Thanks Mij & Irfan. Yes, I think defining F4 in this way would be in line with the existing F7 and F8 and a good useful addition.

... You are not limited to them all being in the same folder either if you do it that way. ...
    I was aware of that, another plus of this solution.

Just for the record: I tried clicking horizontally between thumbs and drawing a selection. Even with a steady mouse and good eyesight I find it impossible. Starting a selection from an area vertically between thumbs works ok. So, starting above the first thumb to be selected and then dragging down and left/right will always work.
    I am working with 100x100 thumbs with a thumb background set to a colour different from the window bg. I keep the thumbs in 3 columns.

A few points:

1. I did not realize that emailing Irfan directly was acceptable. I assumed that posting here was the proper method for requesting new features.

2. I have repeatedly stated that clicking in the space between the rows is where my problem lies. I understand that you may not have a problem with this, but I will also assume you don't have a serious eyesight problem. I can't count the number of times that I have accidentally clicked a thumbnail instead of starting a marquee selection, so whether or not you have the problem, the problem is valid.

3. At the thumbnail size I am using, it is literally impossible to click between thumbnails in the same row. There is no space that doesn't belong to one thumbnail or the other. Accordingly, I never try to do this, so how easy or hard it is isn't relevant to this particular discussion.

4. Yes, disabling double-click while any modifier key is pressed would be sufficient. It would almost be my preference. However, if you read my initial feature request, you would realize that what I asked for would never have inconvenienced anyone. I did not ask for double-click to be disabled entirely. I didn't even ask for it to be disabled by default. I asked for an option to disable it.

5. I wouldn't expect either of these things to be implemented if they were too difficult to do. However, my programming experience - and I do have some - suggests that they COULD BE ridiculously easy to do. It all depends on the nature of the code and the libraries being used. That's pretty much the only reason I made the request in the first place: because I knew it might be simple, with the understanding that if it isn't simple, it almost certainly would never see the light of day.

Eric Storm

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Regarding your point 2, I have added a picture to show that there is in fact no space between adjacent thumbnails at any size. These are 500x500 pixel thumbnails. I selected the block of 4 and then deselected the one at top left by clicking on it with Ctrl pressed. That leaves the normally invisible border around the thumbnail image showing in white and you can see, as you surmised, that the border extends halfway across the gap. The only space that is available to click on to start a marquee selection, is between or below the thumbnail titles. Easy enough, especially at this size, for the top pair but almost impossible for the bottom pair which have been given ridiculously long file names.
    This is just to illustrate that you are probably no more disadvantaged than any of us when trying to find where to click. Remember though that the marquee selection has 4 corners and you can start from any of them. You do not need an empty space where you release the mouse button.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big thumbs.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	3219
    Last edited by Mij; 15.04.2012 at 02:07 PM.

Thank you. The bottom situation is what happens to me a lot. Many, if not most, of my files have ridiculously long file names. (When you have thousands in your collection, it's almost unavoidable.) And this is where the problem comes in.

Eric Storm

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Default Using F4 in Thumnails

Irfan has made the change so that F4 will works in thumbnails view too as requested. With this change when you press F4 in Thumbnails all the files currently selected there are appended to the slideshow list. So you can now use it as I discussed earlier in the thread.
    He has made a test version available here. If you want to try it just unzip the file and replace your current copy of i_view32.exe 4.33 with this one. Note that this is not a fully tested new release just a "work in progress" trial version.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    CPU Cores

Thanks again, I tested it and it works alright. Opening the slideshow.lst takes a bit of naviagting to the appdata folder but the second time round, and after, the path is retained. So that is fine. - A small improvement could be made by assigning an underscored shortcut-letter to the menu item "Load file list from TXT file", e.g. X

Cheers,
    Jazzman

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    32-bit Win 10
    CPU Cores

Yes that would be useful especially for the OP I suppose. There are a number of small improvements like that which could be made in Thumbnails. Your turn to ask perhaps, Jazzman

By the way in Windows 7 if I want to go to the Appdata folders in the Open file dialog I found I can just click on the folder icon at the left hand end of the address box at the top, which turns the address into the normal path form, and type %appdata% there followed by Enter. Takes you straight there. I don't know if it works in earlier versions of Windows.

Version
    IrfanView 4.51
    OS
    CPU Cores

Quote Originally Posted by Mij View Post
    Yes that would be useful especially for the OP I suppose. There are a number of small improvements like that which could be made in Thumbnails. Your turn to ask perhaps, Jazzman
    I guess so ;o) Hadn't wanted to bother Irfan so far, but I do have one or two suggestions ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iv_open.png 
Views:	193 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	3225

In XP whole paths or variables can be typed or copy/pasted into the filename field of open/save dialogs. I do so frequently, just had forgotten in my post above.

Thread Information