No announcement yet.

A couple thumbnail usability enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you. The bottom situation is what happens to me a lot. Many, if not most, of my files have ridiculously long file names. (When you have thousands in your collection, it's almost unavoidable.) And this is where the problem comes in.

Eric Storm

Comment

Using F4 in Thumnails

Irfan has made the change so that F4 will works in thumbnails view too as requested. With this change when you press F4 in Thumbnails all the files currently selected there are appended to the slideshow list. So you can now use it as I discussed earlier in the thread.
      He has made a test version available here. If you want to try it just unzip the file and replace your current copy of i_view32.exe 4.33 with this one. Note that this is not a fully tested new release just a "work in progress" trial version.

Comment

Thanks again, I tested it and it works alright. Opening the slideshow.lst takes a bit of naviagting to the appdata folder but the second time round, and after, the path is retained. So that is fine. - A small improvement could be made by assigning an underscored shortcut-letter to the menu item "Load file list from TXT file", e.g. X

Cheers,
        Jazzman

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

Yes that would be useful especially for the OP I suppose. There are a number of small improvements like that which could be made in Thumbnails. Your turn to ask perhaps, Jazzman

By the way in Windows 7 if I want to go to the Appdata folders in the Open file dialog I found I can just click on the folder icon at the left hand end of the address box at the top, which turns the address into the normal path form, and type %appdata% there followed by Enter. Takes you straight there. I don't know if it works in earlier versions of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mij View Post
            Yes that would be useful especially for the OP I suppose. There are a number of small improvements like that which could be made in Thumbnails. Your turn to ask perhaps, Jazzman
            I guess so ;o) Hadn't wanted to bother Irfan so far, but I do have one or two suggestions ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	iv_open.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	80753

In XP whole paths or variables can be typed or copy/pasted into the filename field of open/save dialogs. I do so frequently, just had forgotten in my post above.

currently running 4.56 / 32 bit

Comment

I had not thought of typing %appdata% into the File name box at the bottom but, yes, it works there in Windows 7 as well.

Comment

Well, this is not a perfect solution... but it's a darn sight better than what I was doing.

Because the "Add to Slideshow" feature is pretty much instantaneous (unlike deleting, which can, and often does, take a bit of time), even adding pictures one at a time becomes feasible, and so the existing selection controls, while not perfect, are adequate to the task.

I only wish we could customize the hotkeys. F4 is not the most convenient key for me to be pressing to do the job. But I can live with that, I guess.

Thanks for the help, everyone, and especially Irfan.
                Eric Storm

Comment

Working...
                X