Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would I batch resize images while splitting double pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I batch resize images while splitting double pages?

So I have a few comics on my computer. I want to resize them all to 600 x 800 and split all the double pages to left and right single pages. I figured out how to resize the images but I have no idea how I would get Irfanview to spot, split, and resize double pages to the same resoltion. It would be a pain to do this individually.

You can probably do it with just two batch jobs.

1. Crop left pages and resize to 600 x 800.
    2. Crop right pages and resize to 600 x 800

Use the convert and rename option to name the output files appropriately.

Batch Operations
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.11.2012, 06:55 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

Originally posted by Bhikkhu Pesala View Post
      You can probably do it with just two batch jobs.

1. Crop left pages and resize to 600 x 800.
      2. Crop right pages and resize to 600 x 800

Use the convert and rename option to name the output files appropriately.

Batch Operations
      Not sure what your telling me to do and from crop left and right pages makes it sound like you expect the double pages to be separated beforehand
      Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 02.11.2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldThreader View Post
        Not sure what your telling me to do and from crop left and right pages makes it sound like you expect the double pages to be separated beforehand
        Yes, he means you need to run a batch job on the double pages first. The cropping parameter would depend on their current size. If there aren't too many doubles, it might be simpler to crop them manually.
        Its: Belongs to "It"
        It's: Shortened form of "It is"
        ---------------------
        Lose: Fail to keep
        Loose: Not tight

---------------------
        Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
          Yes, he means you need to run a batch job on the double pages first. The cropping parameter would depend on their current size. If there aren't too many doubles, it might be simpler to crop them manually.
          Thats exactly what I am trying to avoid with these comics being over say a hundred pages it would be rediculous to sit there and sort the doubles from the single pages i want irfanview to be able to know that its a double page and split then resize it as it resizes all the pages

Comment

Perhaps more information would be of use I asked on Mobile Read forums for help with e-readers and Calibre for help with locating a program that can batch resize images and split double pages at the same time well they referred me to this program. However, it seems from these comments this program can't do what I was hoping it could.

Comment

If your double pages are all the same size, and split perfectly equal, it should be simple. If not...well, software can only do what you can tell it to do.

Unfortunately, it will take two extra operations to get the sides separated.

For the left side, in Advanced batch settings, set X-pos to 0 and width to one half of the total width in pixels. Start = left top. Make sure you have save as format options and save-in directory set as you want them. $N_left would be a good choice for the name of the cropped file. I would use a separate directory to save in!

For the right side, set X-pos to one half of the total width in pixels, and leave everything else the same except for the file name -- change that to $N_right.

The resizing of the doubles can be done at the same time as the split. Then you can resize the single pages in one more batch (be sure to uncheck crop!) and it's all over.

Hope this helps.
              Its: Belongs to "It"
              It's: Shortened form of "It is"
              ---------------------
              Lose: Fail to keep
              Loose: Not tight

---------------------
              Plurals do not require apostrophes

Comment

You can probably separate the doubles and singles in a particular directory if you sort the pictures by size in the thumbnails view. If all pictures have a similar resolution, the double pages should have about twice as many pixels. Then run two batch jobs on the group of larger ones, as you were advised.

Comment

Originally posted by matera View Post
                  If your double pages are all the same size, and split perfectly equal, it should be simple. If not...well, software can only do what you can tell it to do.

Unfortunately, it will take two extra operations to get the sides separated.

For the left side, in Advanced batch settings, set X-pos to 0 and width to one half of the total width in pixels. Start = left top. Make sure you have save as format options and save-in directory set as you want them. $N_left would be a good choice for the name of the cropped file. I would use a separate directory to save in!

For the right side, set X-pos to one half of the total width in pixels, and leave everything else the same except for the file name -- change that to $N_right.

The resizing of the doubles can be done at the same time as the split. Then you can resize the single pages in one more batch (be sure to uncheck crop!) and it's all over.

Hope this helps.
                  Unfortunately there all different sizes

Comment

Are the double pages a different shape to the single pages? If single pages are all Portrait format and double pages are all Landscape, then you can use Irfanview thumbnails to separate them.

Put all the images in folders if they are not already. Open a file from the folder in Irfanview and press T to open Thumbnails of the whole folder (or, if you installed an Irfanview Thumbnail shortcut on your desktop then you can just drag the folder from Windows Explorer and drop it onto the shortcut icon to open Thumbnails directly).

On the Thumbnails menu select Options >Sort Thumbnails and choose By Portrait/landscape. You should be able to spot from the Thumbnails themselves where the single pages end and the double ones start. Select the singles by clicking the first then hold down shift while you click the last. Then right click on one of the selected thumbnails and choose Start batch dialog with selected thumbnails and do your Resizing there. If you do not want to do the Batch operation immediately, you can instead choose File >Save selected file names as TXT and then open the saved TXT file later in the batch dialog. After you have dealt with the Single pages use the same procedure with the double pages.

There are a number of different options for cropping and/or sizing the images to get what you want. Some possibilities have already been suggested in previous posts. When cropping as well as the options in Crop take a look at Canvas size > Method 2 which gives you further options you might use.

Comment

Working...
                    X