NEF files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEF files

Hi, not sure if the posting should be here or in the plug-in forum. I have the current version of the program and the plug-ins, 4.33, but the program does not open my NEF files. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks for your help.

Androscan

Perhaps you have not installed the plugins in the right folder, or your NEF files are a later, unsupported versions. The NEF file that I have does open OK.

Post a link to one if the plugins are correctly installed (Check in Help, Installed Plugins — the Formats.dll ver 4.33 should be listed).
    Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala; 01.05.2012, 04:02 PM.
    Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

I believe I have installed all the plug-ins properly. The Formats.dll ver 4.33 is listed. I have reinstalled the program and plug-ins, and in the list of file associations, I certainly did not see NEF listed.

My NEF files are from 2006, perfectly opened in Freestone, but I would like to stay with Irfanview for everything...

thanks,

Andrew

Comment

Without one of your NEF files there's not much anyone can do to test. Upload one somewhere and provide a link to it.
        Before you post ... Edit your profile • IrfanView 4.62 • Windows 10 Home 19045.2486

Irfan PaintIrfan View HelpIrfanPaint HelpRiot.dllMore SkinsFastStone CaptureUploads

Comment

here's the link to a NEF picture:

thanks,

A

Comment

I was able to open this file using IrfanView 4.33 / Formats.dll. It is a photo of blossming plants in woods.

Can you see the picture if you either drag and drop your file onto an open IrfanView window?

Perhaps you want to associate NEF files with IrfanView so that they open by double-clicking in Explorer? This is possible via Properties/Settings -> Extensions. Tick "Other:", add |NEF to the list and click OK. I noticed that the NEF extension is not shown in the Open dialog and is not included either in All, or Common Graphics Files.

Comment

Likewise, no problem opening the file in IrfanView 4.33 whether by drag and drop or by double-clicking in Explorer.

Comment

You are both right! Where I went wrong was to "O"pen the file directory through Irfanview, seeing no openable file in the directory, and not seeing the extension, and so assuming that the file would not open. When I put "*.NEF" mask into the opening panel, the files show, and clicking on any of them does work in Irfanview.

So, maybe the answer is to tweak the program so that NEF is an extension that Irfanview recognizes, once you have the right DLL installed. Especially in a mixed directory, it's not great to have only partial display.

Associating NEF with Irfanview through Windows (as I now have done) makes no difference to the interior display of files in Irfanview.

Thanks for the help,

A

Comment

Working...
                X